Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get off your ass

Default Get off your ass

and go do something. Anything. It doesn’t matter what as long as you are up and moving.

The first thing I do when I wake up each morning is get a cup of coffee and read the comics in the state paper. Then I go to my hometown newspaper’s website and glance thru it then check the obituaries.

In the last 6 months there have been 7 people whom I know and are my age or a few years younger (56) who have died. Every one of them have died at least in part because of their life styles. One died in a motorcycle crash but the other 6 were pretty much because they were overweight, didn’t exercise, used an abundance of legal and illegal drugs and smoked.

All that seems like no big deal when you are 20.

35 years later it starts catching up with you.

I know this is the crossfit forum and some of these folks will tell you it’s the only, true way, but anything is better than nothing. Little changes can make big results.

Quit smoking and dipping. I know it’s hard but man up, grow a set of balls and quit.

Over weight? Eat less and walk more, it really is that simple.

You don’t need a gym or a pill or Marie Osmond to help you lose weight. Use the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk around the block after work. Give up soft drinks and drink water. Skip a dessert every once in a while.

Find something you enjoy doing. I watch 70 year old men playing basketball at the Y every day at lunch. They suck at it but they are running and having fun and will probably live to be a hundred and enjoy their lives.

There is a 76 year old man I usually see at any local 5K races I do. I see him at the starting line and that’s the last time I see him because by the first turn he is so far ahead I lose him. My goal is to be one of those old bastards one day.

Enough ranting for one day. Seeing another obituary in today’s paper got me to thinking about it and maybe one of you might decide to walk around the block this afternoon instead of bitching in the current events forum.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Good advice in there...

Just get your body moving! Nothing creates motivation like starting to see results does!

Very true! But the title of thread says it all. Well put

I simply refuse to believe that there are still people who read The State paper.

Tennis anyone.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I simply refuse to believe that there are still people who read The State paper.
    I go online to read the comics and that's it. Read somewhere once that people who read the comics before the obituaries live longer so now I read them every morning

"I know this is the crossfit forum and some of these folks will tell you it’s the only, true way, but anything is better than nothing. Little changes can make big results.

You don’t need a gym or a pill or Marie Osmond to help you lose weight. Use the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk around the block after work. Give up soft drinks and drink water. Skip a dessert every once in a while."

This is a bunch of bullshit. All of it.

Little changes result in little results. Walking means nothing. You might as well lay on the couch eating ice cream.

You know exactly nothing about any of this.

Such declarative statements.

If you want to say and read stupid and untruthful shit, go to the sports forum or the dog forum.

Standby for fish to post a YouTube video.

Go choke on some bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    "I know this is the crossfit forum and some of these folks will tell you it’s the only, true way, but anything is better than nothing. Little changes can make big results.

You don’t need a gym or a pill or Marie Osmond to help you lose weight. Use the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk around the block after work. Give up soft drinks and drink water. Skip a dessert every once in a while."

This is a bunch of bullshit. All of it.

Little changes result in little results. Walking means nothing. You might as well lay on the couch eating ice cream.

You know exactly nothing about any of this.
    The original post was directed at the fat asses not dong a thing to encourage them to get up and get started on something, not the manly men of crossfit.

Most will use any activity as an excuse to eat junk and "earn" their cheats. That's a failure's attitude.

Ditch the sugar and the rest will fall in to place.

You don’t need a gym or a pill or Marie Osmond to help you lose weight.

I know you will think I'm weird but I would like to roll around with Marie Osmond to try and lose some weight! LOL
    The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    Theodore Roosevelt

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Lolz

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Most will use any activity as an excuse to eat junk and "earn" their cheats. That's a failure's attitude.

I try to follow the no white stuff diet. No sugar, no bread, no white potatoes. Seems to work for me.

Little changes mean little results. I agree with fish on this, but getting off your ass is a start. To get healthy is going to take some effort, but for the guy who can't walk from the far side of the grocery store parking lot without getting winded, giving up sugar and walking is a start. Doesn't mean he has to stop there.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Go choke on some bread.
    You sound hangry

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

I work with several guys who are morbidly obese, 350+. Every other year or so they decide they don't want to be fat anymore. They start a weight loss contest to encourage each other. Over three months they will usually lose 50 pounds or so, then when the contest is over they gain it plus more back.

I think part of the problem is they try to make such drastic changes that they can't realistically keep them up. I think most people are like that.

Up until I was 45 I stayed in the weight room. I could move a house but couldn't run the length of that same house without being out of breath. To look at me you would think I was in great shape. Hell I thought I was, then I had a heart attack after leaving the gym one morning. Two weeks later I had four bypasses.

Part of rehab was nutrition classes. They told me if I made drastic changes I probably wouldn't stick to them and they were right. I was about as motivated as I could be for 6 months to a year then said fuck it I like sweets and bread and all that good stuff. 6 months later I weighed more than I had ever weighed.

I saw myself in the mirror while on vacation and vowed to change. I don't drink anything but water, unsweet tea, black coffee and club soda so that wasn't a problem but I love sweets and hate any kind of arobic exercise but I decided to make little changes that I could continue.

The first day at the local track I had to jog the length of the football field, walk the end zone and jog back. I did that until I managed a mile then went home and took a 2 hour nap.

This morning, 11 years later, I ran 2 miles then spent 30 minutes in the weight room. Tomorrow I'll swim for 30 minutes then weights. Thursday will be bike for 30 minutes then weights and so on for 5 or 6 days this week. Sunday I'll probably ride my bike for 20 miles out in the middle of nowhere just because I enjoy it

Monday thru Saturday I'll eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables along with whatever meat I want. Sunday night I'll eat any damn thing I please which is normally pizza followed by a trip to sweet frog for a small frozen yogurt with no extra toppings.

Those are changes I can live with long term. There are times when I might eat like shit for a week or skip the gym for a week but I don't allow myself to indulge in that kind of crap for long because I start feeling it after about a week.
    Last edited by flockbuster; 09-27-2016 at 01:29 PM.

If anyone needs some real training.. I am offering free blood drainings while you cut limbs, move limbs, set fences, pull plows no mules allowed, spread fertilizer, lime and seed and all in the beautiful outdoors of the lowcountry. My rates don't include the blood transfusions they are free and will greatly help your spleens productivity.
    Genesis 9;2