Thread: Carp dough

Default Carp dough

Does anyone on here have any experience catching carp? I have 2 old recipes for carp dough that I have tried probably 10 times without a bite. The main ingredient in both is corn meal and one has onions and the other has vanilla flavoring. Both say to shred up some cotton balls to help it stay together. My great grandfather and great uncle used to fish for them at lake wateree all the time years ago. I've tried it deep, shallow, spring, summer, and fall. My great uncle used to tell me how reels back then didn't have a drag. You put pressure on the spool with your thumb for drag. He would tell me that he and his buddy's would be carp fishing and after a long fight when the fish got near the bank, someone would throw a rock in the water and make it run out again. He said your thumb would be blistered after catching a couple.

Your relatives' friends sound like dicks. What do you want with a carp, anyway?

Their excursions do sound like fun. I wouldn't mind hearing more about them.

Recipe, dough help?

I'd start baiting if you haven't yet. Corn, shelled, and you have to soak it for a while if you want it to sink, which you do. Cans of cream corn with holes punched through the day of or before. They're fun, I've caught them on about every kind of tackle up here.

Millet.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I'd start baiting if you haven't yet. Corn, shelled, and you have to soak it for a while if you want it to sink, which you do. Cans of cream corn with holes punched through the day of or before. They're fun, I've caught them on about every kind of tackle up here.
    #BIGCARPCORN

I used to fish for 'em in Gills Creek in Forest Acres. Deeper holes always held a few, and they put up a good fight. I always released 'em.

I used a simple mix of flour, cheese, and just enough water to get it to the "Play Dough" consistency. Then, I mixed in cotton balls. The cotton was there to help keep it together and hold to the hook.

Good luck. They are fun to fish for. They are more fun to shoot with a bow.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

The hell you wanna catch a carp for

I've always just threw some pectin in there. I never had the need for cotton balls, not saying they're bad or anything. Those new fangled treble hooks with metal wrapped around them just look modern. Carp are fun though, they'll just take bait and run. My father always had me out there with light tackle.

It's what I'm doing with this 9 weight...

I have tried limited baiting before where I just punched holes in a couple cans of corn and threw them out on extra rods I brought...i didn't want to leave the cans in the bottom. I tossed them out about 30 minutes before I fished. I'm going to sour up some shelled corn to use next time though. I'll put out a five gallon bucket full the day before, then put out about half a bucket full an hour before I fish. Im going to make my 2 doughs then make a cheese one like SW said. Damn I hope I catch one. They have kicked my ass for years! The old man used to tell me that you fish on the bottom like cat fishing with your line tight. He said when he first hits it your line will go slack. He said don't touch it yet...pretty soon it will start going back out and that's when you set the hook!

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    It's what I'm doing with this 9 weight...

Are you using a dough bait or just corn on a hook? I bet they cut up good on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulltallow View Post
    Are you using a dough bait or just corn on a hook? I bet they cut up good on that!
    Dough. Sometimes I'm not looking for purity, I'm looking at what's fun. I hand chunked.