Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Shitshow, season 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Opening Day Shitshow, season 2

Well, another opening day of public has come and gone. The turnout seemed to be a little lighter than last year. The bike dash was once again a sight to behold. My buddy and my son saw a few crashes but I was too busy trying to survive the 1000 yard dash to be able to pay attention to anything else. The last 100 yards I went to tunnel vision and was only thinking about making it to our spot alive without having a heart attack.fficeffice" />>>
    We were able to grab the same spot we shot last year and got set up. We got a few shots off right away as birds were flushed by other hunters entering the field. Once things settled down a little the birds continue coming in ones and twos for the next hour or so.>>
    The field was full of juvenile birds and they were flying early and nonstop. After a few were killed around us everyone started calling out juvies and most people quit shooting them. They were as plentiful as a field full of Dragon Flies and I've never seen anything like it before.>>
    As the afternoon progressed hunters continued to arrive and filled in around us. About 4:00 this dude comes by and was struggling to make it thru the muddy field. Tired and looking like he couldn’t go any further he started to set up about 20 yards away from me. I called him out on that bullshit and he moved another 10-15 yards down. It wasn't optimal but my group was close to limits and I made a mental note to try and long gun every single bird that flew over him.>>
    I got my chance pretty quick when his first bird was coming straight to him. He had his gun up and was watching the bird but I just happened to be a little quicker and the bird was mine. It dropped about 10' from the dude and as I walked over to retrieve the bird I was grinning like a mule eating briars. The satisfaction was all mine.>>
    Unfortunately, all was not well in the field today. To the father the next stand over by the train track with the 12 year old son, you sir should be terribly ashamed of yourself. Your repeated cussing and yelling at your son was a poor display of fatherhood and sportsmanship. Why you felt the need to cuss the boy up and down for not calling out birds to you was beyond anything I can fathom as a father.>>
    As the dad’s hateful tirades continued throughout the afternoon, once again a chance at satisfaction would be mine. A long crossing bird was leaving a trail of misses behind when it was almost to the jackass that had set up next to me earlier. Once again the old pump gun came alive and another bird was dead. The little boy had also shot at the same moment I did and the bird fell real close to him. As I started the walk thru the mud the little boy had already retrieved the bird. The dad’s words to his son was ugly, yelling and cussing, he told his son he didn’t kill that bird and he had to give it up. The boy’s pleading attempts to explain that he had shot the bird just encouraged the father to yell at him more. I ignored the father and called to the boy. I told him it that I saw him kill that bird and he needs to put it in his bag. After a little more urging he accepted the bird and with a parting, “Thanks mister.” I walked back to my stand.>>
    > >
    Overall, it was a great day and I was blessed to be able to share another opening day dove field my own son. >>
    33 birds with 3 guns.>>
    > >
    20160903_171304.jpg

20160903_171334.jpg

20160903_173158.jpg

Default Opening Day Shitshow, season 2

How close were you to saying something to that poor example of a father?
    Last edited by The Conservative; 09-04-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Quote Originally Posted by The Conservative View Post
    How close were you to saying something to that poor example of a father?
    A reasonable question. A confrontation was certainly brewing. I'd say letting the boy put that bird in his bag was good enough for me. The boy seemed to appreciate it.

I heard there was over 400 people in that field.
    867-5309

Hunted a public field as well and crowds seemed less than usual. Very slow until about 4 and was very consistent from then until we left. Ended up with 10.
    Worst thing I saw was a father and about 4 kids show up and set up across the narrow field from us and say "remember not to shoot anything low" then watched the kids struggle with loading their guns. That put me on edge but all ended well. Biggest safety issue I notice out there (across all groups) is keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    I hunt the same public field on the opener every year and enjoy it. Now on to my browntop field today to see how it does.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 09-04-2016 at 11:09 AM.

I would sooner shit my pants in public than deal with that.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 09-05-2016 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marsh chicken View Post
    I would sooner shit my pants in public than deal with that.
    If you're into people watching and/or observing authentic lowcountry rednecks in their natural habitat, this is a target rich environment. I go just as much for the socializing and people viewing as I do to shoot some birds.

I'm actually sad that I decided to skip it this year after reading the initial post.

I hunted my last public field for a while Saturday.... I wont shoot another opening day field. I may shoot some in the 2nd or 3rd seasons but never again a opening day.

Did see two knuckleheads tote tickets for too many shells but other than that everyone that I could see in the field I was in seemed pretty respectful and had a good time. Local GW showed his ass but he does that every year.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

I love people watching, but when the clowns have loaded guns, I'm out
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Aint no fucking way, and yes I have hunt public, plenty...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Interesting story.

Calling out juvenile birds on a dove field is new to me and I have been chasing doves all over the place for forty years. I think if they are old enough to fly, they are old enough to get shot.

I’m very confused by the juvenile bird thing, I don’t care if it’s his first flight from the nest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

How do y'all expect to have trophy doves if you keep shooting the juveniles?!? Damn rookies.

Never heard mention of this juvenile dove either. I did see a pair of what I call rock doves in Barnwell Co., little mini dove things.

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    Never heard mention of this juvenile dove either. I did see a pair of what I call rock doves in Barnwell Co., little mini dove things.

See here, uneducated. A rock dove is a damn pigeon. Smh..

maybe they were talking about "ground doves" or what ever you call them. we saw a bunch of those at the field we were hunting saturday. more than ive ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    maybe they were talking about "ground doves" or what ever you call them. we saw a bunch of those at the field we were hunting saturday. more than ive ever seen.
    That could be what he is talking about. I bet you are right.

We try to point them out when we're hunting. Doves have such a long live expectancy that it's almost shameful to cut their life short at a young age. Think about, do you not like big breasts?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    We try to point them out when we're hunting. Doves have such a long live expectancy that it's almost shameful to cut their life short at a young age. Think about, do you not like big breasts?

Dang, if that didn't make me grin...