Thread: AR 15 if you could...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default AR 15 if you could...

If you could only have one AR what would it be and how would you set it up? Carbine, Mid, or Rifle? Scope, red dot, or fixed sights? Barrel length? Forearm and add ons.

And what would it's purpose be. Truck gun, home defense, ect.
    Last edited by JBK; 08-30-2016 at 05:53 PM.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Is money an object?
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

18" 1-8 twist Match Grade rifle length gas. JP Forend. HyperFire 24TH trigger. JP compensator. Leupold MK 6 optic with CMR 556 reticle. 2 nd choice optic Burris XTR 2 1-8.

I already have it, and another one. And a real NFA one
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    18" 1-8 twist Match Grade rifle length gas. JP Forend. HyperFire 24TH trigger. JP compensator. Leupold MK 6 optic with CMR 556 reticle. 2 nd choice optic Burris XTR 2 1-8.
    Yep. If I get a 16" Recce EHW upper, that's what's going on it.

For "bang for the buck", and not going nuts on cost, I'll take a stab at this. I'd assemble the lower myself with a quality receiver and a BCM parts kit with their enhanced trigger and grip. I may want a better trigger (Geissele). Mil spec carbine buffer tube, BCM Gunfighter buttstock.

The upper would be an off-the-rack BCM with a 14.5" enhanced light weight barrel, mid length gas, and their KMR handguard system (13"). A SilencerCo Trifecta brake pinned and welded to make it "non-NFA", because I ain't getting anymore stamps and I need to mount my can to it. BCM bolt carrier group, a Mod 3 Gunfighter charging handle, flip up BUIS (Troy or Diamondhead), and an Aimpoint red dot (Comp M4s or T2).

Two point sling (VTAC), a BCM KAG fore grip for use as an index point and barricade stop. Surefire X300 or Streamlight TLR-1H light mounted in front of the front sight at 12:00 for ambidextrous use.

It would be my "do it all" AR. I have grown to love a LIGHT rifle.

A good lower

Well what are they!
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

I love an AR15 but I am not in love with 5.56 or .223. I hunt with my guns. Even though it can kill a deer, 5.56 is too small to call a real deer cartridge. If you step up to an AR10, you can get a more substantial cartridge but the weight difference of the gun is striking.

I've got an AR15 I'm thinking about converting to 6.5 Grendel for hunting but in the mean time, I plan to keep using my 300 BLK for deer. For close up stuff, less than 100 yards, I use the Lehigh subsonic bullets that are made for low velocity expansion. They make a hole that looks like a broadhead went through and, with a can, your ears won't ring. I really like being able to hunt without ear plugs and not losing more of my already diminished hearing. For longer stuff, I can swap out the Eotech for a 3-9x magnified scope and shoot 135 grain supersonics. I've been shooting it at 300 yards and it's surprisingly accurate out to that range especially considering it's a 10.5 " barrel. I'm still playing around at what I consider the minimums of terminal energy for deer so I have to pick my shots. This short, light gun has become my EDC at the farm and it looks like it should be a factory option in the rack of the ATV.

There are zillions of upgrades to personalize an AR but if I had to pick one add-on that's more important than anything else, I'd say it a trigger upgrade.

I know you asked about only having one gun but it's just like anything else. It's hard to design a single, do-it-all gun that doesn't compromise on everything its supposed to do. Plan on eventually having several AR's for different circumstances. And go ahead and make your plans to jump into the suppressor world. You'll wonder how you ever put up with such loud guns. Welcome to the dark side.