Thread: Bow String Lifespan?

Default Bow String Lifespan?

How long do you think a recurve bow string might last under low to moderate usage?

I ask because my 'good' recurve has a string on it that is from about 1976. It spent most of it's life unused, and a few years back Dwight in Pendleton told me it was still in good shape. However, I'm thinking it's time to retire this one to the 'Cabinet of Memorabilia' and get a new one for safety's sake.

Just curious as to what kind of life you guys get from them overall.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Lot's of different variables. The string really could still be good to use. I would most likely spring for a new one though since yours is 40 years old.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    Lot's of different variables. The string really could still be good to use. I would most likely spring for a new one though since yours is 40 years old.
    I'm thinking of vac-packing it and marketing it as an antique.
    ~ George Washington

You've gotta look at them to know whether they're good or not. If Dwight says you're good, you're probably good. If it's 40yr old, it's most definitely not seen "moderate use".

Does the bow still draw the correct poundage?

Is the string frayed or not?

If the answer to these two questions is yes and no, then you are are most likely good to go.

If the answer is no and yes, then you need to acquire yourself a new string, friend.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    You've gotta look at them to know whether they're good or not. If Dwight says you're good, you're probably good. If it's 40yr old, it's most definitely not seen "moderate use".

Does the bow still draw the correct poundage?

Is the string frayed or not?

If the answer to these two questions is yes and no, then you are are most likely good to go.

If the answer is no and yes, then you need to acquire yourself a new string, friend.
    Like I noted above, "It spent most of it's life unused...". It wasn't until I had Dwight inspect it about 10 or so years ago when I started bow hunting that it began to see "moderate use", and that might be stretching it a bit as the arthritis in my 'trigger finger' tended to limit the amount of shots taken at any one time.

I haven't tested the draw poundage in the last few years since I picked up a compound bow, but am going to keep this one in working order as a back-up.

The string has always been kept waxed so there is very little fraying, and most of that is on the center serving area.

It's probably still 'good-to-go', but I'm thinking it's time to shelve this one from a safety standpoint.

I was just curious as to what kind of life other recurve bow hunters see from their strings, assuming they aren't competing in 3D, etc, with the same bow(s).
    ~ George Washington

ive made tens of thousands of shots on the same bowfishing strings and have never had one pop. ive had them stretch out by almost two inches, but never had one pop.

your recurve doesnt even sit at rest under pressure, so if its not frayed all to hell, you should be good. and worse case is it pops and you punch you self in the face.

on the other hand, if you are worried about it, a new string is pretty cheap.

I've only broke one recurve string and it was on a bow fishing rig that was starting to fray pretty good.

Compounds are a different story, I've broke several on bow fishing rigs and one on a hunting setup.

You might as well replace it and keep the original as a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    ive made tens of thousands of shots on the same bowfishing strings and have never had one pop. ive had them stretch out by almost two inches, but never had one pop.

your recurve doesnt even sit at rest under pressure, so if its not frayed all to hell, you should be good. and worse case is it pops and you punch you self in the face.

on the other hand, if you are worried about it, a new string is pretty cheap.
    That's about as bad as it gets, too.

Embarrassing is an understatement when someone asks you what happened and you have to respond that the reason your nose is bleeding and your eyes are watered is because you just punched yourself in the face.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Embarrassing is an understatement when someone asks you what happened and you have to respond that the reason your nose is bleeding and your eyes are watered is because you just punched yourself in the face.
    I had one slap me across the face when it broke, felt like I got hit with a bat. The arrow also shattered and I had to pull some carbon out of my wrist.

its even worse when you do it twice in a row...

12-14yo..... started shooting an old fred bear whitetail 2 bow that my dad picked up from the flea market. i draw back, bam. arrow goes flying over the trees. hit my self right in the cheek bone with my right hand. damn it. string didnt pop, i think i accidentally hit the release button while drawing. that hurt, but ill be careful not to hit that button again..... draw back with another 32" aluminum walmart arrow, bam same thing, right in the side of the face.....

i aggressively put that release in the trashcan....

Misread did not see recurve I have no idea on that one I replace my compound about every three years.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 07-26-2016 at 12:34 PM.

... that's as good a reason as any to change it out and keep it as a spare.
    Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Misread did not see recurve I have no idea on that one I replace my compound about every three years.
    My compound is due as it has the original string on it from when tot was shooting it. I don't put that many arrows through it each year compared to a lot of you, but that string is now probably ten years old or so. I need to take a good look at it soon so that if I change it the new one has time to stretch before the season.

Good info and feedback, guys.

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

If it's 40 years old, it's Dacron. Wax it up good and shoot the hell out of it. Recurve strings wear out center servings from being shot, and loop servings get abraded. That's about it. They're not under stress constantly, or at least they shouldn't be. I've got a 1955 double shelf Kodiak that has it's original string. It was kept waxed and hung in a bow rack most of its life. Still shoots just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    If it's 40 years old, it's Dacron. Wax it up good and shoot the hell out of it. Recurve strings wear out center servings from being shot, and loop servings get abraded. That's about it. They're not under stress constantly, or at least they shouldn't be. I've got a 1955 double shelf Kodiak that has it's original string. It was kept waxed and hung in a bow rack most of its life. Still shoots just fine.
    Sounds good to me. It looks good, but I didn't want to fool myself into thinking that.

I'll have Dwight check my Parker string, though. It's probably due after 10+ years.

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Sounds good to me. It looks good, but I didn't want to fool myself into thinking that.

I'll have Dwight check my Parker string, though. It's probably due after 10+ years.

Thanks.
    Uhhhhh yeah id change that string

Quote Originally Posted by tot View Post
    Uhhhhh yeah id change that string

Open wallet... let moths out.

So when are you going to show me how to be a Ninja bow hunter, tot?
    ~ George Washington