Thread: Appalachian Native Brook Trout Adventure

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Appalachian Native Brook Trout Adventure

Posted at another site. Cool pics just the same. This is how I fish for brooks in NC/SC/GA. Get in the smalls streams, stay low and work upstream. A backcast is impossible. Short roll casts rule the day.

Appalachian Native Brook Trout Adventure
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

That's might be my favorite way to fish. I can hardly fish lakes and ponds anymore unless I am drowning crickets with my kids

I really wanna do that at least once.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

If I have my way, I'll be living on a stream like that within the next year.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 06-23-2016 at 09:26 PM.

I did this a lot as a kid. In seventh grade, I saved up enough from stripping and waxing the floors of my middle school over the summer to buy a decent rod, and cheap-ass eagle claw real. My grandparents had a house in Linville, so I would make them take me to Foscoe Fishing Company the day we got there. I would ask whoever was working, what flies were the fish hitting. Once I bought line and tippet, they would give me a dip can-sized clear plastic container full of terrestrials and lead heads to try out at no charge. I would fish the small back streams for days on end learning how to cast and what approach worked. I quickly learned my fly stash was not enough to try back casting. I happened upon roll casting by accident, and it changed my whole outlook on fishing. It took me months to catch my first wild fish.

I still remember the first rainbow coming out from under a rock to strike at a bitche's creek(sp?) fly I offered. I would sneak upstream of every creek, casting at every slow-moving pocket of water I could find. I learned to catch fish. It is still one of the best memories of my life. We don't go anymore, and I haven't pulled out the fly rod in years, but it could still get my heart pumping faster than just about anything could.
    Last edited by Moonlight Hunter; 06-23-2016 at 09:54 PM.