Thread: "Go-fast" mods for outboard

Default "Go-fast" mods for outboard

Anyone know of a reputable shop speacializing in modifying outboards. I know the guys in AR that own 4am motors but I don't want to leave boat there for extended period. Anyone have a local shop that does these mods? I have an 07 50hp 2 stroke merc that is very sluggish/ underpowered on a heavy loaded 1650 sc triton.

In all reality if your looking to pay someone to do the modifications, just buy a bigger motor. Your already over the HP restrictions for most WMAs, if that was the route you were thinking.

Not against what you are doing, I modified a 40 mercury myself. It was a 59ci one though. Lot of backbone with the 3 cylinders.
    Last edited by TJ_11; 06-15-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Yeah I was weighing my options, was thinking 60 hp four stroke Yamaha but don't want to spend that cash until 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not concerned with hp restriction unless game and fish releases more regs I will sell and look at prodigy.

2 stroke Yamaha 70 or 90 would be your best option.

That 90 in the trading post

Your crazy u can build that 59inch motor. A fucking killer in a disguise

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post

Your boat would fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie1976 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by santeeswamper View Post
    Your crazy u can build that 59inch motor. A fucking killer in a disguise

Either of these

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    Anyone know of a reputable shop speacializing in modifying outboards. I know the guys in AR that own 4am motors but I don't want to leave boat there for extended period. Anyone have a local shop that does these mods? I have an 07 50hp 2 stroke merc that is very sluggish/ underpowered on a heavy loaded 1650 sc triton.
    I have a Yamaha f70 on my 1650 triton. You won't be satisfied with the performance of a 60. If you buy a new motor go at least 70.
    For the ducks

I don't even know wet Reed but from the looks of that 90 and all his other stuff that thing is mint.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Your boat would fly.
    It would literally fly with a 90 haha.

A four stroke would add extra weight, but that's an obvious answer. What's the prop pitch on your merc? I had the same issue with mine, put a tach on the motor and realized I was short on my rpm. Changed to a more aggressive prop, rpm went up and it doesn't bog down with a full load. Just for thought before you drop some cash on a new motor. Don't know if it would help or not in your case.

Running a 10-1/4 14 pitch prop currently. What do you recommend? I'm in the market for a new one.

Spend a small amount for a tiny tach and then you'll have info to go on. However I would think a 14p on that motor and boat would be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I ran a powertech 13 pitch on my 50 and 16' xpress. It carried a load well
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Prop diameter and pitch are important, but that's not all. Blade geometry is a big deal. On a heavy boat like yours you may need to go up to a 11" diameter. If you're not running a semi cleaver you should be.

Modern 4 strokes aren't much heavier than 2 strokes, so weight difference isn't as big a issue as it was with 1st generation 4 stroke outboards. Just gotta decide which one works best for ya.

Get a tiny tach and find the right prop you shouldn't need to repower, unless you just want to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 06-16-2016 at 12:05 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Also, don't overlook a 4 blade prop, I picked one up for my 60 and went from 45 top speed to 41 but it handles and turns so much better, especially with a full load. So it was a fair trade off and 41mph is plenty fast for me.

Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 06-16-2016 at 08:49 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Update:

Bought a 10 & 3/8ths powertech semi cleaver 13 pitch stainless steel prop and difference is night and day. With 5 ppl 28mph compared to 4 ppl with duck gear and not even planing out

That one on trading post.... wet reeds, that thing does look prestine