Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gators in Lake Murray

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    I'm interested in the gators on Wateree. I, with conviction, told my wife and children there were no gators there....I have never seen one and have spent many hours on the lake. I have always wondered how there couldn't be gators there though......How long ago did you see the gators HS?
    Regardless, if one has been seen or not when im swimming with my daughter on one of the islands at wateree she is within arms reach of me at ALL times. and i have a dive knife on my ankle and a waterproof bangstick on my back.... well not really but I think it would be awesome
    Last edited by Stumpknocker; 06-15-2016 at 10:56 AM.
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

HardWare House is closing!!!!!

Gators on Murray, and black panthers in Jenkinsville, you heard it here first.

One dead baby near Acapulco about 5 years ago. It very well was transplanted there and died. That's all I've ever seen or heard of anyone else seeing in 28 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    I'm interested in the gators on Wateree. I, with conviction, told my wife and children there were no gators there....I have never seen one and have spent many hours on the lake. I have always wondered how there couldn't be gators there though......How long ago did you see the gators HS?
    Sorry, J, been busy. There was one in the back of a cove, about three coves south of Clearwater. It made to WIS, I'd say over ten years ago. That one was small, I think like 3 feet or so.

The other two I've seen were in the back of Beaver, one was killed. I saw the remains afterwards also. He was around eight feet.

In no way have I ever worried about interacting with one.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 06-15-2016 at 11:11 AM.

My parents were at a party on Pine Island back in the 80's when they heard a dog barking like hell at something down by the water. They all turned and watched a good sized gator come out of the water after the dog. The dog escaped. I'm pretty sure the gator was removed. The general concensus was that it likely was introduced at some point.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Pro-Tip.... a two footer will take the hell out of a Devil's Horse.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

That article's a hoot.

"I tried to reel my line in as fast as I could, but the gator got caught up in it anyway..."

Hahaha, it wasn't quite as far back as I thought.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 06-15-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Also, unless several alligators were put there by humans, they would have to come up through the lower Saluda River (which they simply cannot tolerate that cold water)
    Interestingly enough, there at least one that inhabited the Saluda below the dam for a while, a few years back. I spoke with one of the park's officers that had taken pictures of it laying out on the launch ramp.

Sure there's been a gator or 2 in lake Murray. But that dont mean there's a population of them. Men have been on the moon, but that dont mean its a great place to live. Lake Murray simply doesn't have the habitat to sustain gators.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I could tell you a story about my dad but I know this site is monitored.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    ....One the way back, I saw something fairly large swirl and dive. Could have been a large fish, or looked like what a smaller gator looks like when they take off....

Could have been a Gar...there are some huge ones out there. A few weeks back, while fishing a hump, I saw a 5'+ female with about 10 smaller males trying to breed with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    I could tell you a story about my dad but I know this site is monitored.
    Text me the story
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Could have been a Gar...there are some huge ones out there. A few weeks back, while fishing a hump, I saw a 5'+ female with about 10 smaller males trying to breed with her.
    Or a softshell.

Good to know. I appreciate the feedback.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Best way to teach a kid how to waterski is to tell them there are gators in there.

That's no lie, lower Savannah river is loaded with them. Teaching my youngest daughter to kneeboard and as she was jumping in the water, she got a glimpse of one . Needless to say she did good her first try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lake Murray monster..tell em dr duck.