Thread: Question for the Pro's????

Got my next hunting partner a couple weeks ago. It's been 13 yrs since I trained a dog. Working on the come,sit, stay and down commands. At what age do yal start teaching to retrieve????????
    31-28, 12-0, 3-2, 4-2!!!!!!!!!

I am by no means a pro, but as soon as the puppy shows interest then start. Get in a hallway with no way to escape except behind you and throw a sock or whatever. The puppy will lose interest quick so don't over do it. After that I will let the "pros" take over for ya..
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

i filled a pill bottle with bb's and chunked it down the hall to get him interested. he loved the shaking noise so it got him excited. and whatever you do make sure you never hit your dog with the object you are trying to get them to retrieve no matter how aggrivated you get.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

You start them retrieving once they come in the house and become comfortable with there surroundings. You also only throw once or twice for them. Put them up after they are still wanting to go. Don't overdo it and don't let them chew on the dummies that you throw for him. Get him designated chew toys.

20oz Coke bottle with half of the air mashed out of it and screw the top back on tight makes a great 'puppy toy'. They love the sound it makes and how it slides across hardwood floors. Also, make sure you remove the plastic/paper around the outside of the bottle. Like BDM said, don't let him chew on 'business', but that Coke bottle ..... it's on then.

One word of caution, my current lab is 10months old and she still thinks every Coke bottle is hers ..... in the cup holder or not, LOL ! ! !

Congrat's on your new family addition !

Originally posted by Browning Gold 3.5:
    20oz Coke bottle with half of the air mashed out of it and screw the top back on tight makes a great 'puppy toy'. They love the sound it makes and how it slides across hardwood floors. Also, make sure you remove the plastic/paper around the outside of the bottle. Like BDM said, don't let him chew on 'business', but that Coke bottle ..... it's on then.

One word of caution, my current lab is 10months old and she still thinks every Coke bottle is hers ..... in the cup holder or not, LOL ! ! !

Congrat's on your new family addition !
    [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I use almost the same as the others... But I add some beans (dried) in the crushed bottle. The love the hell out of it. Also, I only use the bottles and then bumpers and birds. They dont chew shoes and other stuff soo much if they dont associate everything the see as a toy. Little stuff to develop them can help with less problems later on. Dont use leather anything unless you want leather shoes chewed up.... Leather smells like leather, know matter what the shape is.

Good luck.
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck