Thread: Yet another propeller question

Default Yet another propeller question

All this talk of props lately has me thinking. I know a lot of y'all have high tides so what would be a good go fast prop.
    I don't care about carrying a load or hole shot, I just want go fast propeller for riding around.

I have a 14p stiletto currently for a carrying a load/other situations.

1503 high tide
    50hp Mercury 2 stroke with t/t
    5500 rpms
    Engine as high on a jack plate as I want to go without a pressure gauge
    Currently getting 39mph

What would you recommend?

Boat got a pad under it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Unless you're hitting the rev limiter at 5500 RPM, then you're going as fast as you can and a new prop won't really buy you any more speed. Basically, you've run out of horsepower.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

No pad unfortunately, just the standard 1503 super v.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Unless you're hitting the rev limiter at 5500 RPM, then you're going as fast as you can and a new prop won't really buy you any more speed. Basically, you've run out of horsepower.
    Is there a prop design I can move to where I can move up in pitch while maintaining rpm?
    I'm ok with loosing the ability to carry weight and a quick hole shot.

is your rev limiter still connected?

You don't have a go fast boat so you don't need a go fast prop
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

he ought to be able to see more than 39 tho. atleast mid 40s

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Is there a prop design I can move to where I can move up in pitch while maintaining rpm?
    I'm ok with loosing the ability to carry weight and a quick hole shot.
    Are you running a stainless steel prop? If not, you might squeeze out a little top end with a SS of the same pitch. I've heard that the SS props don't 'flatten out' as much as aluminum at WOT so your are actually getting a little more pitch. I still think you're maxed HP so you would likely get a lower RPM with the same top speed.

I'd call the folks at Power Tech and ask them. They might be able to suggest a cup design that would help but don't expect any dramatic improvements and keep in mind, they're in the business of selling props.

http://www.ptpropeller.com/contact_us.php
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I had a 40 merc on my old 1503 with no tilt and trim just bolted on transom with a solas 3 blade 15 pitch. It would run 41 all day long. Something don't sound right with 39. I had a buddy with same boat and a 50 Yamaha with tilt and he was hitting mid to upper 40's
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I don't need to break records, I just feel like there is a little more to get. mid 40s would be great. Id be happy with anything over 40 really.

Current prop is stainless, rev limiter is still on/engine is stock

can you hear your motor hitting the rev limiter?>

if so, remove that stupid thing, and run it on up to 6k. ive run mine up to 6200ish. as long as you dont see 7xxx, and you wont with a stock motor,

my fishing prop is a 4blade 15p merc prop, and approx 6100rpms and see 45+/-..... stock motor.

you just shouldnt be "running out of horsepower" on a 50hp 3cyl with a 14p prop on a 15' fiberglass boat..... unless you have a ton of weight in it or your hull is waterlogged.

Lots of people have good success with a Yamaha black stainless. Might wanna look for one and put a mercury hub in it.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

You said engine is high as you feel comfortable without a w/p gauge. I'd get one and keep jacking it up you'll be surprised how high you can run. Go through your motor and give it a tune up and add 60 carbs and reeds. Move your gas tank to the back if it isn't already. Depending how involved you want this to be it's not hard to make a pad on a fiberglass v hull. Basically put two big strakes on each side of the keel to form a pad. That should meet your speed requirement. Otherwise enjoy your 39 mph