Thread: Raw Land?

Default Raw Land?

I'm looking to get out of town and move towards the country, if that's possible in the Summerville area. So what is raw land? I keep seeing adds for raw land for sale. What is raw land? Does that mean its un developed? Needs to be cleared? Needs to be perk tested? No utilities available? What? I want something that can be zoned agricultural/residential so that I can put a house there and raise a little farm with a few animals. I can get a good deal on raw land but if I have to spend a bundle on getting utilities, impact fees, clearing, and such, I haven't really saved a whole lot.

Any land that does not have a structure on it is consisted raw land.

You can move almost into Ridgeville and still stay in Dorchester D2 schools. We looked at moving out that far at one point in time but we where not going to move out there for an acre or two. We were looking for 10 or more and never found the right piece of land for the right price. All the land out that way should perk fine. Get close enough to Ridgeville and you can tie into the sewer. Knightsville ins't so bad but that's not really "out" of town anymore. You can also look up above Jedburg but that's going to take you out of D2 schools if that matters to you.
    Last edited by reeltight; 04-29-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Oh yeah...You can also look really south...You can almost get into Ravenel before you leave D2 schools as well. But that land gets a little pricey.

If you find someone to sell you 10 or less acres, you will probably end up in a new neighborhood within years. They probably have more lots to sell right next to you.

I'm in Knightsville now. I'm looking at getting out of the subdivision and onto something I can raise some chickens, ducks, and goats, with maybe an acre's worth of small crops. Was looking around Jedburg. Wife teaches in DD2, so not worries about school. Just want my own little place. All my work is in Charleston so I would like to stay close. Ridgeville will become big like Summerville when the Volvo plant gets here.

When everyone moves and clears their own little 5-10 acre plot in the country, it turns the country into a subdivision.

If you can find an older, already built house with plenty of undeveloped land around it, it may be more likely to stay that way. My point above is that when you see 5-10 acre uncleared plots available, some landowner (or likely his heirs) is selling out and chopping the bigger parcel into smaller plots. That is the beginning of a neighborhood. Next comes water and sewer lines, paved roads, garbage service, leash laws, and "pet" restrictions. You'll find yourself back in the same situation in just a few years.