Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help with training

ok guys, I am fairly new to this site, but I'm hoping you can help! I have an 8 month old black lab female who is currently at swift creek kennel in training, just got off the phone with them and she apparently is acting very shy and timid with them so they are unsure as to how far they can take her. The thing is, when she is around me she is fine...nothing close to shy or timid! So long story short I am most likely going to get her in the next couple of days but do not want to give up on her so I am looking for a club or anyone who can help me train this dog...I am in the Chapin area but I am willing to travel most anywhere.

Thanks for all your help guys!

check pm's
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Thanks for the PM costa...tried to reply but your box is full, I'll try again later!

cleaned
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:

PM Sent

how long has she been at the kennel?
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Saturday will make 1 week, but she is coming home tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions guys and keep it coming!

Do as you see fit, but do not make a decision on her training and future with just one week at said trainers.

It takes longer than a week for the dog to get used to the kennels. When I get them in they do nothing for the first week to 10 days, other than fun things, bumpers, easy marks, this time is used to get everyone on the same page.

What will surprise you even more is that they told us after only 2 days not to expect alot from her because of these behaviors... I am definately not giving up on her, I've talked to a few guys from scducks who have given some good ideas and offered some great help for me to train her myself...again thanks for everything guys, especially costa!

i agree with cc. if the dog is that smart she may have been playing the trainer so she didn't have to do any work. i have never heard of a trainer giving up on a dog after only two days or a week. like cc said, it usually takes a week or two for the dog to develope a bond with the trainer and get familiar with the surroundings. dont give up on her, if you decide you dont have time (or the patience) to train her yourself, there are a lot of good trainers out there that can help you.
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Originally posted by ducks031205:
    What will surprise you even more is that they told us after only 2 days not to expect alot from her because of these behaviors... I am definately not giving up on her, I've talked to a few guys from scducks who have given some good ideas and offered some great help for me to train her myself...again thanks for everything guys, especially costa!
    Two Days? There is no way they would send your dog home after two days. Like others have said I would expect it to take at least two weeks for the dog to get used to being trained and handled by someone other than you. Strange.......

---------

What will surprise you even more is that they told us after only 2 days not to expect alot from her because of these behaviors...
    Have you ever considered for a moment that they might be right? Some dogs just ain't got what it takes to be a good or even decent retriever. It's not personal.

Some dogs are cows. I had a female like this a long time ago. She was good for doves and was alright for ducks in certain controlled situations but she was never any good out of a boat. She would have NEVER made a competition dog.

I'm not saying they are right or wrong, hell I surely don't know anything about training a retriever...that's why I'm asking for help. I would just like to give her a shot myself and if it turns out she is just a damn fine couch potato then so be it, just looking for some suggestions for things to try. The dog is obviously going to be more comfortable with me so I thought I would get some insight and see how she would respond to me. Thanks again guys!

Fish, I agree with you. Not every dog is a field champ. However I don't feel that two days, or even a week, is engough to determine wether or not the dog will make a good hunting companion. Not to sound sarcastic, but how long did it take for you to see that in your dog?

Do yourself a favor and buy Charley Jurney's book or CD entitled "Finished Dog". This book will give you all the knowledge you need to train your dog.

And no matter what HuntinCosta says, (he's always the first to give out piss poor advice) DO NOT hit your dog in the head...ever. Yeah, you read that right. He actually typed that shit out as advice on here and some of these other self proclaimed experts backed him up on it. Only a fucking loser would hit their dog in the head and your timid little dog will certainly not respond to that type of handling.

And birdboy, I was a kid when we got that dog. I didn't know anything back then about training a dog but I could tell right away that she was a very shy pup. Shy pup = timid retriever.

Im actually going to help him out with training. EVery little bit helps.
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:

Well I dont mean to start any arguments or shit talking, but the thing is when the dog is with me she is not timid at all..if anything very hard headed! This is why I was thrown off when they first told me how she was acting. She has always been open with other people and dogs as far as I have seen, but then again obviously I was present for that. Anyway, I really appreciate all of the suggestions and view points and to be honest with you huntncosta has really given me some help, but has yet to tell me to hit the dog in the head.

Don't you worry about the arguments or shit talking there ducks. Lets just say, its one of my areas of expertise and I don't let dumb shit go unchecked for long.

...but has yet to tell me to hit the dog in the head.
    He'll try to indoctrinate you with stupidity first, then he'll ask you to start hitting your dog. [img]graemlins/lamoo.gif[/img]

Don't be fooled by this guy. He's a world class idiot, and just because he's willing to help does not mean he won't fuck your shit up in the process.

Fish is right about the book. There are several other good books to check out, so you will have more than one perspective. 10-minute retriever and water dog or gun dog are also good books. 8 months, you have a lot of ground to make up, but it can be done. You will have to work everyday and learn to read your dog, but you can do it. If everything you have said is true (and nothing against the kennel you used) sounds like they got a better deal and had to make room for one more. Do check out the books and dont just take someones word. Like Fish said there are a lot of self proclaimed profesionals out there. Good Luck!

He has already ordered evan grahams smart works.
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of: