Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeding question?

[quote]Originally posted by BigBrother:
    it is much more likely that they could and would breed hunting dogs that have a tolerance to snake venom.
    I don't see where a dog not dying from a snake bite has anything to do with genetics or even a tolerance. It sounds more like a lack of venom and not being bit in the right place. Snake bites are very regular occurences and the majority survive with no future problems.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Originally posted by HuntinCosta:
    getting bit by a snake and living doesnt have a fucking thing to do with whether he is a breed-able dog or not.
    Easy drama queen. We agree. Mars Bluff asked a question and I answered with a possibility, (I do agree that it is far fetched). Irrelevant? Maybe. Possible? Yes, because that would depend on what genetics a "breeder" would desire to cultivate in his/her animals. If someone can manipulate breeding and produce such pointless animals such as a Mexican Hairless, it is much more likely that they could and would breed hunting dogs that have a tolerance to snake venom.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] thats bryan for ya!

as far as snakebite kennels, is that something Samuel L. Jackson will be a part of [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:

Now if you go back and read what you said nothing was mentioned in your post about the genetic traits in your post about anything other than The snakebite issue. You also said that he can only be hand fed. I can only comment on what was in print.If he has those genetic qualities that I mentioned then great you probabbly have a nice dog to use at stud.
    And what was dissrespectful about anything I said. I merely commented on your descriptions of the situation.

...and the ones that dont, dont make pups. Natural Selection at work. Again, I enter the word, "possible".

From my understanding, the body produces antibodies to fight the venom. The resistance to venom isnt something one is born with. The ability to produce those antibodies are. I have seen dogs survive bites that would kill a human. So I do think it possible that they are more adept at fighting venom than we are and therefore this trait could be fostered by only breeding dogs who survive snake bites.

Coming soon to a newspaper near you: SNAKEBIT KENNELS... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I don't fault him for that. That's great & that's the way it should be but to gain respect you gotta show respect. He had nothing to add to this topic.

sounds like HC has had some toes steped on. If you take a few minutes to relax and take a deep breath, then reread what bb was saying. I do think he makes a valid point about the dogs ability to survive the bite no matter where he was bitten or in what order. Now, as far as passing on those traints, I believe it is a possibility just as marking, memory and trainability can be breed into a dog. My main point here is no one attacked you so dont get hostile.

I don't think the snake bite will affect the pups. I had a Walker gyp get bitten, and she raised the whole litter, and I had no problems with any of them. I have also seen one of the gentlest hounds go plum crazy after a snake bite!!!

BDM,

I asked if a snakebite could pass anything bad. You come in with "The real question is".

You were being a jerk. Some people think their way is the only way. I'm fine with that but I was looking for an educated answer because I do care very much about improving this breed.

Two litters = 20 pups.

4 are dead

8 are fine retrievers

8 are lap dogs.

Not too shabby.

mb, probably the best thing to do is call your vet and not worry about what the guy that answers the phone at the vets office thinks. that way you know you are dealing with a professional that may have something educated to say. best of luck with the upcoming litter.
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Birdboy, obviously an alias. [img]graemlins/wgf.gif[/img]
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:

Originally posted by birdboy:
    probably the best thing to do is call your vet and not worry about what the guy that answers the phone at the vets office thinks.
    He did call and talk to his vet. No one ever told him that the snake bite would cause a problem with the breeding [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:

I can only go by what you have written in your comments. My way is not the only way but my way does work. I also don't know if I would brag about a less than 50%success rate with my pups.I hope that you do try to improve the breed. That is all that I want people to do.

Not bragging. I didn't train any of them. The owners that decided they wanted a retriever were able to train their pups with ease. The others decided they wanted pets. I prefer all my dogs to be hunted with but the most important thing to me is that they go to loving homes.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mars Bluff:
    [QB] My question is, would that snake bite cause any problems that could be passed onto the pups?

Dear HC, Please read the above question. Doesn't sound like one he asked the vet, does it? Also please read below. Thanks, birdboy

a·li·as adverb at another time; in another place; in other circumstances; otherwise. “Simpson alias Smith” means that Simpson in other circumstances has called himself Smith.

This was taken from the website dictionary.com So I guess birdboy is an alias, just as huntincosta is an alias for you. dumbass ha ha
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Originally posted by Mars Bluff:
    Just talked with the vet. Should be nothing from a snake bite that would negatively be passed onto the pups.
    [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Read the whole thread bird boy, I never gave any advice no whether he should breed the dog or not.
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:

It is true he did contact his vet an hour and a half after he posted his origional question; and an hour after you started you hissy fit. And if anyone should learn to read it should be you because he never said the dog HAD to be FORCE fed, he said the dog was being HAND fed, which was a learned behavior during recovery. It could also be because the snake was in or near the studs food bowl. If the food was left long enough for the stud I'm sure he would eventually eat. Since we are on the subject, I never said that you gave advice "no weather or not to bread to the stud" (which I am assuming means "on"). I don't know what bug crawled up your ass, but did you have to stick your head up there to see? My origional post was mearly an attempt to calm you down so you didn't look like a jerk. I dont know who you think I am, but when we meet at old south i'm sure we will laugh. [img]graemlins/ah.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] GFY BB [img]graemlins/flipa.gif[/img]
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:

[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] Oh boy! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Me and BB were just having a friendly conversation.

I thought you were one of the guys on here that already had a screen name posing as someone different. Nothing personal!
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:

Bird boy, dont sweat Costa, his opinions amount to about as much significance as a gnat on a dog's pecker.

BTW costa, after our conversation yesterday, what exactly did you say? [img]graemlins/fu2.gif[/img] I am kinda looking for that retraction.