Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New Pups

Deadriver, its good to have you back on SCducks. I haven't seen you posting lately. Thanks for the info. I haven't been handling her to the AOF unless she switches or goes into a long distance run. I've tried to let her hunt it out even at the HT this weekend but when she goes to the old fall area you have to get them out of that area or they waste to much time on a test. I plan to run some marks today that will start with short triples and work to more complicated stuff. The inline doubles with a third mark somewhere off line have seemed to be the most difficult for her on these tests. I'll put together a double then run it and add the 3rd mark to see if that will help. Thanks, Bob
    An average hunt becomes great with a good dog

DR, did you ever get a chance to look at Berkeley County GIS and check TMS 1830000021. You said you might give me some advice on the wetlands and digging ponds. I'm still looking for a piece of property to setup my third career, dog training, in a couple of years.

Hunt- Funny how we usually know our next direction about the time we make the post...

I notice that they seem to get alot of dogs with marks offline. I like to run the triple with a mark offline by making the offline mark my second retrieve on one, then re-run the same marks with the inline mark, longer bird, as the second. Mixing it up seems to keep them form patterning.. Each one is different in the end aren't they? LOL. that is why I love it.

Sorry about not getting back to you, I kinda dropped out for a while duriing the move. Things are settling down, I will try to take a break at work tomorrow and check out what you have. We will find you something for your third career..
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

After several tries Chic got her first Finished pass in May at the ECHRC Hunt Test. Hope by the end of the summer training with DM#1 and several friends she will be consistently passing a few. Not long before she will want to compete in the Grand. Looks like October 21-25 in Savannah will be the only chance for a while. The next 2 are in Texas and Nebraska. Too far for me to drive. Bob

After 3 straight passes this fall Chic has received her Hunting Retriever Chamoinship in UKC. 21 months after she was born and 19 months after starting this thread, she has made tremendous gains in her abilities and is just a fantastic young dog. I new when I picked her up from the breeder that she was special and she has proved it over and over. We still have to work on her upland/master/GRHRC titles. I'll keep you informed. Bob

Bob, it was great getting to meet you this weekend. One step better, it was nice getting to watch Chic run and get her HRCH ....... and your 'bath' .

Congrat's again Man !
    Stephen

Congrats Bob nice work.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

October 2006 at 23 months she went to the 3rd series of the Ga Grand. She was great until I let her get out on the bank and hung up in a lot of duck scent.

Huntlabs,

I recently brought home a nine week old lab puppy and i really want to train him properly. I have purchased a few DVD's but all of the training is for an older dog. I really want to start the training now. I have alot of questions and would be very greatful for a little bit of guidance on the proper way to train a puppy. Is there a number that I can reach you on to discuss a few questions that I have? Or do you know of someone who can help me out? By the way thank you for the great post it has already been a big help.

PM sent

Wow, that was a great read, thanks.

Just to keep you updated on Chic's progress, she passed her first upland test this weekend at CRC. She is a real challenge to control since she works so much faster than Doc. She flushed the birds well and worked the area well. I still need to work on some upland training to try to get her to sit on flush. I had to blow the whistle both times as she pursued the quail after the flush. Doc on the other hand has learned to just stop until sent to retrieve. She will get there but training in upland is something I need to work on. Maybe Gundogguru can help me out.

Chic picked up her second master pass this weekend in NC at the DEHRC AKC test. They have some of the nicest grounds that I have seen and they are all maintained by the city of Kinston, NC. The weather was cold and windy but all went well.

Chic passed her 5th master test today at Cooper Black and titled in Master. She only has an upland title left until we start back on the Grand Title chase. The next grand is in GA so its close enough to give it a try. She is six weeks shy of her 3rd birthday. So I guess she's not really a pup anymore. HRCH Chic MH sounds good to me!

Thought I would update the thread on Chic's latest accomplishment. As I have already posted she went to the 3rd series in the Coastal Empire Grand in the fall of 06 at 23 months. At slightly over 3 years old she recieved her 1st Grand Pass at the Old South Grand. She needs one more pass to secure a Grand Hunting Retriever Champion Title. Looks like I may have to take the trip to IOWA in the fall.

Again the pics are gone but this is a little better recap of how things went.