Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Pups

sounds like your pretty close to the same level on training that i am right now. if you ever want to get together and run the dogs let me know. i'm doing CC and 3 hand casting work now getting ready for pile work. I have an older dog (not quite 2 yrs old)but we got a late start!!
    it flies it dies

Anytime. Started casting to hand thrown backs this am. Hope to get a start on handling before the end of the summer. I would like to get her into seasoned in the fall. See you at the Club Trial if not before. Bob
    An average hunt becomes great with a good dog

If she is haveing trouble with the association, use the stick simultaneously with the nick. It allows for a natural association of the collar to the stick. Good luck.

My pup is running double T now, so not that far off of you. Marking is falling off under pressure, so marking test are in order for next week. Give and take
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

Took Chic to Va this weekend and she did great. Passed 2 started tests. She ran w/o a lead and I shot the gun. (Steady as a rock) unlike her older kennel mate, Doc.

RugerAnnie Coots

I have two yellow labs, a 3 year old male, and a 2 year old female. I love them dearly but I've seen a chessie at work before at the SCWA at Camp Woodie and fell in love with that dog, I wanted to take it home. Are the chessies as loveable as they are smart?

Ha ha ha, here we go !!!
    S.C. - Standing alone against Northern aggression since 1861 (LAT)

if you are there owner. If not better ask if you can pet the dog. They are not very freindly as a rule. they love 2 things there owner and there job period. That breed is not for everybody.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

RugerAnnie Coots

Thanks for that info!! I don't know that much about the chessie...

Chic titled SHR this past weekend at CBSRC she went 4 for 4 in started tests and was steady during all tests but 1, a small controlled break. She is on schedule to get JH this fall and start handling in the spring. Seasoned and Senior after Christmas should put her runnning for HRCH in about a year. It's great to see them come along and make progress.

Congrats HL way to go.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

Chic passed her first 2 seasoned tests this weekend at CFHRC. She has one more JR Hunter AKC test pass and 1 more Seasoned test pass to get this spring then its Senior hunter and finished in the fall.

Congrates Bob. How did Darby do?
    80-20 Genaration

Congratulations HL! Way to go....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

DM #1 no luck for Chris.

D3 Thanks, did you get a pup yet?

Not yet HL, I am trying to finish school right now and don't really have the necessary time to devote to a pup just yet. Did see a couple the South Eastern Wildlife Expo that gave me the bug though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Chic picked up her HR Title this weekend at PRC. Ran in her first Finished test on Sunday, but just happend to be a tough test that Doc failed as well. She was good on the water blind but the inline double got her. The close in bird blew around in the wind on the pond and she just got lost trying to get the long mark. 2 handles to the area and she was out. She picked up all the birds but to much handling on a marking test. 15 months and she continues to get better every day. She didn't give me a cast refusal. Looking forward to Old South and Coastal Empire for her to maybe get that first finished pass.

0 for 2 this weekend at Old South. She ran the blinds like a champ but had to be handled on one mark on each series. That put us out both days. Any suggestions on what to do about this marking and memory problem? I know as she gets more retrieves she will get better, but any suggestions will be appreciated.

hunt- are you handling her on marks alot when she gets just a little out of area of fall. Ur pup and mine are in the same age class, his marks went off alot when i started him on handling. Since i opted to run him in derbies, i backed off handling all together after i had him far enought that i could. In 3 weeks or so of nothing but marks, he was back on track. Opinions are like ..... but. I dont handle dogs on a mark unless they are swithcing off or loosing their purpose... Sounds like your dog is where mine was.

Oh, the standby techs that I am sure you know about already:

-heavily seed a tight area of fall (25 yds or so) to build confidence and encourage a tight hunt.
    -simplify your marks down for a few weeks and build it back.
    -lots of tougher singles after that few weeks of easier marks
    -if factors are throwing her off, run alot of edge and terrain factors, short at first then longer....

Congrats on your HR with the pup. I was relocated to Raleigh and have not trained much of late. Beau blew up on a very simlpe double in a derby a few weeks back and i can see that it has cost me to move in the stat of his derby career!

Good luck-
    b
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

leaving the area of a hunt in a hunt test is the worry that you would have not just switching
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Training sessions are not hunt test. Too many dogs are handled during training when a dog is drifting from an area of fall. Then.... they have to be handled during your hunt test. Confidence and perseverence are the keys to marking. They learn neither when you take over and handle. For a dog to learn to not be handled to a mark, he must spend the effort to find his "reward". They learn to stay focused so they can get the bumper and get back for another retrieve....