Thread: Tree mount feeder hanger

Default Tree mount feeder hanger

Anyone know where I can get one online?

The ones I've found only hold 200 lbs and I need one for a 55 gallon drum.

I'm using a dump feeder rather than a spinner plate feeder so the corn will be directly under the feeder. Bucks don't seem to like being under the tripod feeders.

I have fought this same battle and am interested in the same product if you find one.

I want to hang a 55 gallon feeder with a directional unit on it about 30 feet up. The fly in the ointment is the hanger and getting the feeder to stay oriented so it sprays the corn out where I want it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Which directional feeder are you using? the ones I've tried are junk.

I've gone with this dump feeder. No spinner plate, an actuator opens a door and drops feed for however many seconds you set it for. It still makes a noise, a click when it opens and click when it closes, but a lot quieter then corn hitting a spin plate.

http://www.quietfeeder.com/

pretty simple to weld one up.

Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    pretty simple to weld one up.
    I got no welding skills.

The one I WAS using was Game Country and truly was junk. I was going to try Boss Buck next. Looks like it has some balls. Your idea may win out with that drop unit

back before every hunting item was ordered off the internet or a magazine. we used a boat trailer winch with a cable and lag bolts in a tree then nail a 2x6 between two trees to the desired height you can use screws now no cordless drills back then. Then get you a pully and attach to board. this was in the late 80s early 90s back when the only stand you could buy was a climber all the others were made of wood and you made it yourself and you did not move them. you know those stands you pass in the wood that are in the old oak tree that are pulled in half because of the growth of the tree and you say that old timer knew something was here let me put a stand here. You could be right. but the truth be know it was probably the only tree he could find to hold a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    The one I WAS using was Game Country and truly was junk. I was going to try Boss Buck next. Looks like it has some balls. Your idea may win out with that drop unit
    Let me know how the boss buck does.

Hell, the more I look, the more I like how yours works. The pain in the ass with the Boss Buck would be having it line up in the right direction when it's hoisted.

https://www.bossbuck.com/product/12v...al-unit69.html

If you can't weld, run a cable between two trees and hang a pulley off of the middle of the cable

I've not installed it yet. Just got it in the mail and put a battery in it to see how it works.

Thinking of quieting it even more, not that it is that loud, with some insulation in the box that won't interfere with the actuator.

Whatever you build, make it more substantial than you think you need. Over-engineer it. A 55 gallon barrel full of corn will kill you if it falls on you. A winch with that much strain will knock your teeth out or break your hand if it slips and the ratchet isn't on or fails. Get a winch with a brake.

Here's the frame I built, minus the pulley and winch. Got to say, it worked better than I ever hoped! Just to test how effective it worked, I mounted it about 50ft from a tripod feeder that we tried 3-4 years ago. Deer never really used the tripod feeder, in that 3 year span, except for a couple of yearlings every so often.

This was mounted about 18ft up on a pine. Used a old 2 speed winch with a break on it to hoist it up and down. Set up a trail cam to check if the deer used it or not.
    Didn't take long at all. Very next morning, we had 12-15 deer use thru out the day.

After 2 weeks, they would show up 5-20mins after it went off. That held up right to the last day of the season. HUGE difference in what we experienced running the feeder with legs attached.

As far as the 55gal drum, I started to go that route, but went with the 30 gal drum instead. The arm is more than strong enough to support 400lbs. The problem is securing it to a tree. I used heavy duty ratchet straps, and a safety chain. 400-500lbs is ALOT of weight to try and winch 15ft up in a tree. I just wasn't comfortable with that much weight hanging 3ft from the tree. Wasn't worried that the straps would fail, but the whole damn rig coming down. 225lbs will last 30-45 days, depending on how long you run it, per day. I filled mine 4 times during the season, and it ran till last week.

I use santeerangermans concept, except I dont weld so i made mine out of 4x4s and lag bolts
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by santeerangerman View Post
    Here's the frame I built, minus the pulley and winch. Got to say, it worked better than I ever hoped! Just to test how effective it worked, I mounted it about 50ft from a tripod feeder that we tried 3-4 years ago. Deer never really used the tripod feeder, in that 3 year span, except for a couple of yearlings every so often.

This was mounted about 18ft up on a pine. Used a old 2 speed winch with a break on it to hoist it up and down. Set up a trail cam to check if the deer used it or not.
    Didn't take long at all. Very next morning, we had 12-15 deer use thru out the day.

After 2 weeks, they would show up 5-20mins after it went off. That held up right to the last day of the season. HUGE difference in what we experienced running the feeder with legs attached.

As far as the 55gal drum, I started to go that route, but went with the 30 gal drum instead. The arm is more than strong enough to support 400lbs. The problem is securing it to a tree. I used heavy duty ratchet straps, and a safety chain. 400-500lbs is ALOT of weight to try and winch 15ft up in a tree. I just wasn't comfortable with that much weight hanging 3ft from the tree. Wasn't worried that the straps would fail, but the whole damn rig coming down. 225lbs will last 30-45 days, depending on how long you run it, per day. I filled mine 4 times during the season, and it ran till last week.
    VERY similar to the product being sold online... I'm impressed. Going with the smaller drum probably would have some advantages. I've thought about using the directional unit and having two inverted "V" pieces welded to the hanging bar near the end that would "engage" the drum's hanging bail as it was winched up, forcing it to face a particular direction, and eliminate or reduce the ability of the drum to spin. Added complication, and not sure if the juice is worth squeeze.

Anyone know how many pounds of corn a 55 gallon drum will hold? 300?

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    VERY similar to the product being sold online... I'm impressed. Going with the smaller drum probably would have some advantages. I've thought about using the directional unit and having two inverted "V" pieces welded to the hanging bar near the end that would "engage" the drum's hanging bail as it was winched up, forcing it to face a particular direction, and eliminate or reduce the ability of the drum to spin. Added complication, and not sure if the juice is worth squeeze.
    I was a little worried about the drum spinning once it was hoisted up, and spooking deer. The bracket I made to mount the winch on, actually solved that problem.

I mounted the winch on a triangle bracket, to the same tree that the drum is hung from. Again, using heavy duty ratchet straps, and a safety chain. This caused the cable to run to the pulley at a steep angle. A little harder to crank up and down, but the cable actually "pinches" the drum enough that it won't spin, even in a strong wind.
    I'll try to post a pic of the winch set up, if anyone's interested...
    Last edited by santeerangerman; 01-28-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    Anyone know how many pounds of corn a 55 gallon drum will hold? 300?
    About 400 without an internal funnel. 350 with.

Quote Originally Posted by santeerangerman View Post
    I'll try to post a pic of the winch set up, if anyone's interested...
    Yes, please. Not spinning is big. Having it oriented in one direction every time is my other need. I though about putting a paracord or similar light "bridle" on the drum that goes back to a second pulley on the hanger. Pull it tight and it "orients" the drum.

We use 1/4 cable, dual gear pulleys, mounted on a piece of 4x4 angle steel, lagged to tree about waist high. Pulling up 300lbs of corn in a 55 gal drum. 4 ft section of 1/4 with pulley, lagged to tree at desired height. They won't spin much once pulled tight. Could also attach a large V to barrel that rides up tree to keep same spot for directional. Sweeney makes best directional!
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    Could also attach a large V to barrel that rides up tree to keep same spot for directional.
    Hmmmmm

I don't see a Sweeney bolt-on directional on their web site.