Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fronts - when do they come?

Default Fronts - when do they come?

I've witnessed ducks moving on fronts in years past, and given our current shitty season thus far in regard to weather, when do most of you observe a "push". Keep in mind, I'm speaking of SC ducks, not western fronts that have such extreme weather where hundreds of thousand of waterfowl move with them. Personally, I have seen a rise in numbers 2-3 days after a front with a NW wind.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

IMO I think the day before the front hits. I have been killing them on the day before on a North wind. I think the high winds like today pushes them out. I'm no weather duck guy but I hunt everyday and the day before the fronts have been on fire for me.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Any north wind can and will move birds. I see numbers increase normally after a front but I do think ducks that are already here go nuts and are easier to kill before a front, if that makes sense.
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

Birds don't move in or out unless the wind has a northerly component. Never discount the amount of birds that migrate based of photo period. This is hands down the best season I have ever had in SC
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Worst year for me.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

I try to watch the weather north of us. When Ohio, Virginia, Maryland , and North Carolina get hit with a front, we will get new birds in a day or two. They ride that north wind south. We had new birds show up Thursday and Friday of last week. Had a good shoot Saturday. I like to hunt the fronts when we have a good north east wind.
    Last edited by E. Taylor; 01-10-2016 at 10:11 PM.
    E T

Quote Originally Posted by ndbrown213 View Post
    Worst year for me.
    x2
    Go Tigers!!!

A great season is subjective - i don't enjoy duck hunting with mosquitos. By far the least amount of birds I've seen in nov, dec. And confirmed by most others I've talked to.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Birds don't move in or out unless the wind has a northerly component. Never discount the amount of birds that migrate based of photo period. This is hands down the best season I have ever had in SC
    Guess you don't shoot many Mallets.....

Not the worst season I have seen. November was average. December was down right bad until the last week. Since then it's been pretty good though.
    E T

We just had 4 ringnecks show up. We are normally covered by now.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

That must mean you haven't bumped into kayak Kevin then, huh?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Guess you don't shoot many Mallets.....
    If the success of your sc duck season depends on mallards then I would rethink your tactics.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

If the success of your sc duck season depends on mallards then I would rethink your tactics.
    This is a fact
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Fronts that come from the west are not good for me. This year and last is proof of that. Until this weather starts coming from the north I don't have much hope for the rest of my year.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    Fronts that come from the west are not good for me. This year and last is proof of that. Until this weather starts coming from the north I don't have much hope for the rest of my year.
    x2

Default shitty season?

I have been whooping them.....
    Pro Remington 870 Operator

I like a hard sw wind right before it switches around to the north.
    867-5309

That idiot's only tactic is bragging and pushing two ounces of steel T shot at wood ducks.

Quote Originally Posted by kayakkillshots View Post
    I have been whooping them.....
    Nooo..... no you haven't