Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16 guage steel shot needed

Default 16 guage steel shot needed

Where around Columbia can I buy some 16 ga. steel or duck legal #4 for duck hunting?

Thanks

Clothing world generally has some.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
    Clothing world generally has some.
    Thanks, didn't think of them. Will call before I ride out there tomorrow
    Last edited by ecu1984; 01-01-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Barron's will likely have it.

Thanks, I have an old mint Belgium Browning A5 Sweet 16 that I have always been told not to shoot steel from it, but many are telling me it will be fine. It was my grandfathers and I have killed a truckload of dove and quail ,even deer with it. I shoot it great and want to kill a duck with it.

Rio bismuth or tungsten is what I shoot out mine, I've read where some of Brownings people have advised not to shoot steel from Belgium barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Browning A-5 View Post
    Rio bismuth or tungsten is what I shoot out mine, I've read where some of Brownings people have advised not to shoot steel from Belgium barrels.
    Same thing I have been hearing, then i meet a few people that are shooting steel and say they have been for years with no issues. I'd hate to mess this gun up. I don't see myself duck hunting too often but have been getting a few invites recently and want to go with it.

What choke? A more open choke is more likely to be ok.

You couldn't pay me to put steel through an old Belgium with a full choke.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by surfcock; 01-02-2016 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by surfcock View Post
    What choke? A more open choke is more likely to be ok.

You couldn't pay me to put steel through an old Belgium with a full choke.

I wonder how to tell what choke it is? Serial number maybe?
    I will google it and see what I can learn about it

Pulling the forearm off now

* designates full choke (F).
    *- designates improved modified choke (IM).
    ** designates modified choke (M).
    **- designates improved cylinder choke (IC).
    **$ designates skeet (SK).
    *** designates cylinder bore (CYL).

The only older gun I have thought about shooting steel through is my grandfather's parker. He had it bored out years ago so it has a cylinder bore. He also had it reblued. It was his quail gun and would be a great little gun for wood ducks in a couple places I hunt. It was a workhorse for him and he would much rather have seen it used than sit in the safe. Other than that I'm still of the mindset that steel, especially with some of the higher velocity loads we have these days, would be a bad idea.

If you do want to shoot steel, go with some of the lower velocity loads. Maybe even the low brass steel shot. Those low brass #6's have killed many a duck. I have seen it.

Last edited by surfcock; 01-02-2016 at 12:58 AM.

well, it has one * so it's full choke
    I also just checked my mint condition 1965 Belgian A5 20 guage and it has two *
    so its a "modified" choke......it has killed a million tree rats, rabbits and doves too
    Think it will be fine and a better choice with the steel for Woodducks?
    Ideally I need the tungsten or bismuth for the 16 though, that wouldn't be an issue then would it?

Just went on some Browning forums and seems like I need Kent Matrix or the Bismuth for the 16 and I will be fine.

Yep, thats what I would say too. I am no expert, but I would have a hard time convincing myself to shoot steel in either gun. I still haven't actually run steel through the Parker. I may before the season is out though. I have a specific setup in mind for it.

Shoot 2 3/4 #6 steel and you should be fine. I shot steel from a very old A5 had with no problems. I wouldn't put a lot of steel down it but I don't see a few wood duck hunts hurting it.
    I could be wrong but I thought a lot of the problems with steel occur with larger shot sizes not compressing in tighter chokes like lead would.

I'd think the 20 would be the better of the options.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Shoot 2 3/4 #6 steel and you should be fine. I shot steel from a very old A5 had with no problems. I wouldn't put a lot of steel down it but I don't see a few wood duck hunts hurting it.
    I could be wrong but I thought a lot of the problems with steel occur with larger shot sizes not compressing in tighter chokes like lead would.

I'd think the 20 would be the better of the options.
    Thanks, that may be what it comes down to.

Your gun and you are free to shoot it as you please. But, I will never understand why anyone who owns a great classic shotgun with barrels made of mild steel would want to skimp on a box or two of proper no-tox shells just to kill a few wood ducks. Kent Matrix is great, but no longer made in 16 GA. Your choices now are Rio Bismuth, Hevi Shot Classic Doubles, and RST Nice Shot. All are going to be difficult to find this time of the year.

Good Luck!

Just a thought for next year. It seems like quite a few folks here have some great 16 GA guns and are interested in using them for ducks every now and then. Who would be interested in a "group buy" of a case or two of good no-tox 16 GA duck loads for next year? I could not justify buying that much alone as I would never shoot them all.

TB

I have the same gun and have bought a box of steel shot for it but have yet to try it like you I've been a little cautious.
    Hey big man lemme hol a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Your gun and you are free to shoot it as you please. But, I will never understand why anyone who owns a great classic shotgun with barrels made of mild steel would want to skimp on a box or two of proper no-tox shells just to kill a few wood ducks. Kent Matrix is great, but no longer made in 16 GA. Your choices now are Rio Bismuth, Hevi Shot Classic Doubles, and RST Nice Shot. All are going to be difficult to find this time of the year.

Good Luck!

Just a thought for next year. It seems like quite a few folks here have some great 16 GA guns and are interested in using them for ducks every now and then. Who would be interested in a "group buy" of a case or two of good no-tox 16 GA duck loads for next year? I could not justify buying that much alone as I would never shoot them all.

TB
    That last part ain't a bad idea. I'd be pretty interested
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I shoot an old 69" Light 12 w/ 26" IC fixed barrel. That is my main duck gun and has shot cases of steel shot. I measure my barrel with calipers at the end of every season without change. I like to shoot the lower FPS with #2-4.