Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef brisket

Default Beef brisket

I'm gonna try one in a few days. Are they as much of a pain as people say?

Main difference is Brisket needs a steady 225 degree temp until internal temp reaches 200. Pork shoulders are more forgiving of temperature variations. It will dry out if you try and cook it too quickly. Get it right and best meat you can eat.

I cook mine on 260 degrees for 3 hrs or until internal temp is 165 then pull it off wrap it in two layers of foil, put it back on for 2 more hours or until internal temp is 195 then put it in a cooler still wrapped and let it rest for an hour. Slice it thin and enjoy!

Don't slice till you're ready to eat.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Add a little olive oil and some apple cider vinegar depends on size but should take between 3-4 hours.

If done right very very good eating!

I'm reading 10-14 hours at 225 to reach 200.

No brisket worth eating is done in 3 hours...

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    I'm reading 10-14 hours at 225 to reach 200.
    That's more like it...maybe more, don't rush it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    That's more like it...maybe more, don't rush it.
    I'm talking flat brisket by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Add a little olive oil and some apple cider vinegar depends on size but should take between 3-4 hours.

If done right very very good eating!
    At 3-4 hours how the hell would you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I do brisket often. I also to bbq competitions over nc,sc,fla,ga. Try this method and you won't go wrong. 4 hrs of pecan Smoke at 250-275. Wrap at 4 hrs into the cook. Pour the aujus over the brisket and wrap tight. It will cook 1-2 hrs longer. Look for an internal temp of 200-205. Your meat probe should slide into the flat of the brisket just like butter.
    Last edited by Biggyboys; 12-29-2015 at 09:18 PM.

When you take it off the pit and it's done open the foil and let it vent for about 10 minutes. After that wrap it back up and let it rest until your ready to slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggyboys View Post
    When you take it off the pit and it's done open the foil and let it vent for about 10 minutes. After that wrap it back up and let it rest until your ready to slice it.
    This is my plan as of now.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

My bad man. I was talking on the phone while typing. I obviously was not thinking correctly.

If the point has a good bit of fat, that is good, it means it will cook about as long as the thick side. I am a fat side up kind of guy, but that is up to you. I prefer a pan in the cooker with apple cider vinegar, but you can do water, hot sauce, whatever you want. I like a rub with 50% kosher salt, 25% freshly ground coarse black pepper, 10% garlic powder, 10% onion powder, 5% brown sugar. 275 degrees(small conventional cooker) with a clean fire, check as little as possible. Only open up the lid if you are spritzing or mopping. Keep a good eye on your fire. If you keep a good eye on your temperature, your cook will go a lot better. Radiant heat v convective heat, blah blah blah, just keep a clean fire. Wrapping is a very touchy subject. Wrapping retains moisture and helps to cook faster. The longer you wait to wrap, the more smoky flavor you will get. I wrap around the end of the cook. I wrap to avoid the bitter flavor. If you are crunched on time, you need to wrap with foil(texas crutch), but you can also wrap with butcher paper to get a more neutral taste. Watch out for the stall, it will really throw you for a loop with the cooking time. Be patient, and let the meat get over the stall to get to it's desired internal temperature. When the brisket is getting done, look for the color, and look for when the fat is getting rendered off.

In short, this is how I cook them:

-275 degrees, fat side up

-Wrap in 5 hours

-190-200 degrees internal temperature

There are many variations and different methods to the madness. With this being your first one, take note of what you like and don't like about your meat. Pleasing a crowd v pleasing yourself will be a different ball game, but develop a method that suits you, and don't stray from it too much.

Awesome, I bought this pink butcher paper roll. Comes with a good durable carry tube, this seller was the only one able to provide the FDA letter from the manufacturer, rest of them didn't. Going to try it this weekend...
    https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Peach-Bu...=butcher+paper
    Last edited by bbqsmokee; 01-27-2018 at 07:32 PM.

I thought you were a bbq guru??

And some of you must enjoy the taste of dried dog shit. 3 hours to cook a brisket?? Go back to Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by bbqsmokee View Post
    Awesome, I bought this pink butcher paper roll. Comes with a good durable carry tube, this seller was the only one able to provide the FDA letter from the manufacturer, rest of them didn't. Going to try it this weekend...
    https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Peach-Bu...=butcher+paper
    I have had good experiences with the butcher paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    I have had good experiences with the butcher paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's spam.