Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rock Sliders

After the in caps are welded on you have completely sealed up the tube. If you were going to hot dipped galvanize them that will not work. You need to plan on having vent holes and drain holes for the galvanizing process. If you take him to the galvanizer without vent holes they take it upon themselves to blow holes in it with the torch.
    Just something to plan on.

I'd have them powder coated. I'd also put an air Chuck in them and make them air tanks. Would be super simple.. I have a set I built out of DOM tubing on my Samurai and can run air tools/ inflate tires with. Comes in handy for a trail fix..
    Last edited by Fireman; 12-29-2015 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    This 140 is awesome, especially to run on 110V. It's rated up to 1/4", but I suspect it will weld bigger. It's the Millermatic which will figure out wire speed for you if you set the material thickness. I find myself rarely using that option now that I know what I like.
    That's great to hear. I've got the Hobart 140 Mig but haven't used it yet. I've had a Miller stick, but the 220v circuit in the garage is undersized due to the length of the of run from the breaker so I changed to the 110v machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    I'm actually stuck between the ******* 140 and the Hobart 140.
    As said above, Miller makes the Hobart, but double check before you choose Miller over Hobart. I found that the Miller model has some plastic parts in it that are steel in the Hobart. Beats me why, but a guy at a local welding shop confirmed it to me, and they sell Millers.

Real nice work there, Chessbay. You've encouraged me to get busy on some projects, including some bush hog repair welds that I wasn't sure this Hobart would handle.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I make a living with welding machines. These days we only run Millers

Damn pretty bead for only welding for a year or so.

Cool build
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Yep, Carolina Welder Services in Lake City repairs all kinds of machines and he says Miller is the best hands down. Pretty much everything else is made in Mexico and parts can be hard to get.

Good looking welds Chessbay.
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

I am only referring to the 110v models, based on what the sales guy showed and told me. The commercial machines are unquestionably top notch stuff.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

After the in caps are welded on you have completely sealed up the tube. If you were going to hot dipped galvanize them that will not work. You need to plan on having vent holes and drain holes for the galvanizing process. If you take him to the galvanizer without vent holes they take it upon themselves to blow holes in it with the torch.

You know, I knew that but it had honestly not crossed my mind.

Hmmm.

I have seen several of these built, but am not sure how they got around the vent hole issue. Maybe the ones I have seen have drain holes drilled in the bottom of the slider?

I'll research that and try and figure it out, glad you said something.

Does this mean you are going to take it off the paved road?

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post

No

Ok, maybe……….this one has been to Uwharrie before.

You know, I knew that but it had honestly not crossed my mind.

Hmmm.

I have seen several of these built, but am not sure how they got around the vent hole issue. Maybe the ones I have seen have drain holes drilled in the bottom of the slider?

I'll research that and try and figure it out, glad you said something.
    You still want to put a hole in it. It will get water in it from condensation and rust out from the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by cusportsman View Post
    Yep, Carolina Welder Services in Lake City repairs all kinds of machines and he says Miller is the best hands down. Pretty much everything else is made in Mexico and parts can be hard to get.

Good looking welds Chessbay.
    Ole Todd. Good peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    You still want to put a hole in it. It will get water in it from condensation and rust out from the inside.
    Not when it has been galvanized.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Not when it has been galvanized.

I meant even if he had it powder coated he would still want to put a weep hole in it for condensation. I've seen a lot of square tubing turned into round from the water freezing inside it.

I got a little further today and started installing the jack points, I used 1.5 OD pipe. I only got one put in and am pretty happy with it, but I don't like the fact that I can see the outline of the pipe on the side of the slider (only on the outside as it sits flush). Not sure how to remedy that unless I try and lay down a really, really small bead of weld and grind it flush. I might drill it out and start over, or I might not be so OCD and screw it. It will likely fill up with zinc and be unnoticeable to begin with.

I got a little further today and started installing the jack points, I used 1.5 OD pipe. I only got one put in and am pretty happy with it, but I don't like the fact that I can see the outline of the pipe on the side of the slider (only on the outside as it sits flush). Not sure how to remedy that unless I try and lay down a really, really small bead of weld and grind it flush. I might drill it out and start over, or I might not be so OCD and screw it. It will likely fill up with zinc and be unnoticeable to begin with.

Bevel the pipe on both ends to give the weld somewhere to go. If you weld it as is and the grind it smooth you will remove all the weld you just put on.

Looking good though.

Recess the pipe half the thickness of the tube wall. Weld it up and grind it down.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    i saw one of these machines has off the paved road, on a rock road once. my son was fascinated with it. nice damn ride
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

and good looking work too.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!