Thread: Southern Duck - Impoundment corn variety

Default Southern Duck - Impoundment corn variety

Did you end up planting the Augusta 2852 variety this year? How did it work out?

We planted Pioneer 1690 and made a great crop (with some irrigation during the dry spell). The ears were set high again, but that turned out well since the field was flooded three to five feet deep during the October "1000-year rainfall event." The higher-set ears weathered the flooding better than those set closer to the ground.

However I'm not expecting another flood like the October event, it's time to order my seed, and I'm looking for something that sets the ears lower.

Thoughts?
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

I liked it. Definitely set the ears lower than anything I have planted before. Ears are about 2-3 ft high. Whole plant is about 5.5ft. I put about 100 units of N out split pre and sidedress. Had the worst infestation of hemp sesbania and it got to where I couldn't do anything so will have to come up with a new plan next year. That soil is real heavy and muck like with a 15 CEC so no residuals last very long.
    cut\'em

Thanks! I want to try a bag this year if I can get it through the ag supply house here in Florence / Darlington.

We did get a bag of the 2852, and planted the impoundment field with it today. Dirt was a little moist when we got started, but the sun and wind dried things out nicely. Always feels good to get seed in the ground!

I'll try to remember to post up how it sets the ears and how it performs for us.

I planted the 2852 as well. It's about 3 inches out of the ground. I'll let you know how it does as well.

Its a good number. Not planting the duck pond this year but had half a bag left in the shop that I was going to fill in some corners of the dove field with until I grabbed the bag on Saturday and realized that some sneaky mice had made a nice meal of it. Needless to say my shop smells of dead mice at the moment as I went full bore with the poison Saturday. A seed salesman turned me on to another number last week, DeKalb 69-43, said it had real low ear placement and good standibility. Might try it in the future.
    cut\'em

Dekalb 66-94 has very lower ear placement. Just saw it checking some fields and thought I'd share

I checked our impoundment corn field, which is planted in Augusta 2852, this afternoon. Not sure if the weather this spring (very wet) has had an effect, but the stalks are green and pretty and are beginning to tassel out at heights of 5' to 6'.

I don't know how much corn the field will produce, but it appears that the ears will be set relatively low - probably lower than any variety we've ever planted.

Checked the field again this afternoon. All the ears...and I mean ALL the ears....will be set one to three feet above ground level. Nothing any higher. Still don't know about how the yield will be. Honestly it looks more like sweet corn than field corn.

Quote Originally Posted by Aging Baby Boomer View Post
    Checked the field again this afternoon. All the ears...and I mean ALL the ears....will be set one to three feet above ground level. Nothing any higher. Still don't know about how the yield will be. Honestly it looks more like sweet corn than field corn.
    In my experience Augusta will run with DeKalb and Pioneer all day in decent dirt with good fertility. 2852 is a workhorse and should be capable of making a good crop if you put the N and K to it and got some rain.
    cut\'em

Looking good. I'm a fan of the 2852.
    Last edited by Island Hunter; 06-19-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Southernduck - "Ears are about 2-3 ft high. Whole plant is about 5.5ft." Yep.

Island Hunter - Your pictures are exactly how our field looks.

That variety is a duck pond corn, I probably wouldn't plant it for grain but wouldn't think twice about any duck pond.
    cut\'em

Augusta is offering the 2852 again after not having it last year. We will be planting it.