Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Farm relief

Default Farm relief

I will be co-sponsoring a bill to provide some financial relief to farmers from the flood damage.

The amount is not firmed up and will depend on how much the congressional delegation can get in a supplemental budget bill.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    I will be co-sponsoring a bill to provide some financial relief to farmers from the flood damage.

The amount is not firmed up and will depend on how much the congressional delegation can get in a supplemental budget bill.
    Good on you lets rally behind our SC Farmers!
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

― Norman Maclean

Thank you!!!!

Thank you

I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority here but oh well. I love farmers, farming, corn, cotton, tractors, combines, etc just as much as the next guy, but it's a business. You are essentially bailing them out just like the feds did the auto industry (for different reasons, but it's still a bailout). Why? Are you also sponsoring a bill to to give some financial relief to the business that suffered structure damages due to flooding waters. How about relief for lost income for the days business had to be closed due to road closures and bridge outages? Farmers run a business. They can buy insurance for their corps like store front and warehouse businesses can buy liability or flood insurance for their buildings. Farming is the only industry in the USA where there is literally no way you can have a loss or show no profit. There are enough subsidies and bailouts that you could literally loose the farm and walk way better than you started . Bailing out farmers is not conservative and is a waste of tax dollars. You could take that money and put it towards our roads.
    Last edited by reeltight; 12-22-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority here but oh well. I love farmers, farming, corn, cotton, tractors, combines, etc just as much as the next guy, but it's a business. You are essentially bailing them out just like the feds did the auto industry (for different reasons, but it's still a bailout). Why? Are you also sponsoring a bill to to give some financial relief to the thousands of business that suffered structure damages due to flooding waters. How about relief for lost income for the days business had to be closed due to road closures and bridge outages? Farmers run a business. They can buy insurance for their corps like store front and warehouse businesses can buy liability or flood insurance for their buildings. Farming is the only industry in the USA where there is literally no way you can have a loss or show no profit. There are enough substitutes and bailouts that you could literally loose the farm and walk way wealthy. Bailing out farmers is not conservative and is a waste of tax dollars. You could take that money and put it towards our roads.
    I feel the same way. To the OP, there are more effects than you mention but everything is geared to the row crop farmers. Shit happens and if you can't afford to lose the money you invest then maybe you shouldn't be risking all your cash flow.

I question the fact that there is no relief for other industries affected by the flood.

And NO I am not asking or do I need money, whole lot of other unfortunate people out there still do need help.

What's your rationale, DT?
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

It is called security.

We have to eat.

You can let them go out of business, and say someone else will fill the gap. The problem with that is most people in the US do not want to work especially as hard as farming is. What you have left today is it, in terms of farmers. No one is signing up to basically hock everything they have go in extreme debt and gamble it ever year.

Now if you are ok with getting food from other countries like China lets go for it run them out of business.

Beyond that if you need another reason let them go out of business. Here comes more gosh dang stupid pine trees. That land will be used for something and my guess is it will be used to further the monoculture of pine trees.
    BOOOOOOOOOO

There are no securities in business and investment.

the US has lost too many national security industries to overseas labor- we don't make shit anymore, we buy it from china.
    The very last thing we need to lose is our ability to feed our country, good job Duck Tape.

Duck Tape...My dad spoke on behalf of Farm Bureau with the state powers in Columbia. Let me know if you want his contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    the US has lost too many national security industries to overseas labor- we don't make shit anymore, we buy it from china.
    The very last thing we need to lose is our ability to feed our country, good job Duck Tape.
    I sincerely doubt a once in a lifetime flood will create such a dire situation to where we can't feed our nation. There will always be someone else to step up to the plate and take a swing. I am not saying farmers aren't important or deserving but if you give one a hand up then it should be for all that were affected and lost income due to the flood.

get behind the timber industry too. its been a bad time for loggers, dealers, consultants, chemical applicators, fire managers, tree planters, mills, road builders...you name it.

paper products, pulp by products, residue, biomass, solid materials, osb, ply, lumber, etc...

scratching and digging to stay alive. cutting profit margins to ZERO to sustain and cover in a false and inflated market. many times paying to work...PAYING TO WORK!!!!
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

I need a picture of me standing in chest deep water with a crew of starving loggers behind me

or a pic of me being held hostage by a landowner or forester to give up every penny I have in the game plus what I don't have to keep the paper and lumber available to the consumer

I'm sure DT will be along to help you Gbelly......... Not.
    Skybusters: Magic Does Not Apply to Shotgun Physics

Skybusting, or the art of trying to magically propel steel shot 100 yards into the air at a passing duck, is a sure-fire way to ruin your own chances, and everyone else’s chances, at actually killing a duck.

but yall can keep the government bailout $ and assistance. we don't need it.

scratchin and digging

kinda like people used to do when times got hard and shit hit the fan

Quote Originally Posted by mudeagle View Post
    I'm sure DT will be along to help you Gbelly......... Not.
    the one time I was at the state house while DT was in office I tried to speak to him about supporting a bill that the whole industry was pushing....he was more interested in seeing who was around the room rather than listen to the 2 mins I had to explain the importance of supporting the bill

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post

No one is signing up to basically hock everything they have go in extreme debt and gamble it ever year.
    bullshit. you don't know what the hell you are talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Beyond that if you need another reason let them go out of business. Here comes more gosh dang stupid pine trees. That land will be used for something and my guess is it will be used to further the monoculture of pine trees.
    BOOOOOOOOOO
    stop using all paper and lumber products made from southern yellow pine.

pine monoculture on a large scale is no damn diff than farming cotton, corn, or what the hell ever. its a longer rotation for the same purpose...$$$$$$$$$