Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat lighter

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Fat lighter, fatwood or pitchwood is where the pine sap/pitch/resin settles into the the heartwood of a dead pine. Stumps are the most common place you can find it, but sometimes the heart of the whole length of the tree will be fat lighter. The outer wood rots away and leaves only the fat lighter.

I have heard some people call it kindling too. Although technically that's incorrect.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I can't pass a pine knot up!
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

A lot of the stumps in the lake are fat lighter. When the lake was about dry a few years back, I burned stumps all night to stay warm.
    867-5309

Sill beams on old houses (30s and before) are full of pitch, pine heart wood..termites cant fuck with it, water cant rot it..

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    Sill beams on old houses (30s and before) are full of pitch, pine heart wood..termites cant fuck with it, water cant rot it..
    Yep. Old barns too
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Thanks for edumacating me, Guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Kindling can be any wood used to start a fire. Fat lighter, also known as Pitchwood by some, comes only from old pine stumps.
    Fat lighter is not exclusive to just stumps....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Yep.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Kindling is a yankee word.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

This ↑

The first house I ever bought was an old mill village house. When I started to remodel the bathroom I decided to put a medicine cabinet over the sink. I needed to cut a rectangular hole in the wall between studs to add the medicine cabinet. I drilled a starter hole for the jigsaw and about burned up the drill bit. The walls were some kind of slats about 1" wide laid together horizontally. The walls smelled just like fat lighter when I was cutting. I dulled quiet a few saw blades trying to cut the hole in that stuff too.

I remember thinking that if the house ever caught fire it would go up like a house made of matches.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 12-20-2015 at 10:48 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    but sometimes the heart of the whole length of the tree will be fat lighter. The outer wood rots away and leaves only the fat lighter.
    Yep.
    I remember my dad and I squirrel hunting one day on the farm when I was a kid and we walked up on a rotting pine tree. He said he remembered years back when the tree fell during an ice storm. He kicked away the rotten part and sure enough the whole heart of the tree was lighter. We went back a few days later and cut it up with a saw
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I love light wood, but it is hell on a chimney. Learned that the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    The best are whole logs that can be cut into 16" blocks...... Splits so pretty!
    I splintered some with a hatchet last night. My wife isn't the best at fire building in the fireplace when I am out of town and this makes it super easy for her.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-20-2015 at 10:27 PM.

And if catches fire, it burns like soaked in gasoline. Hard to put out and burns very fast too.

Only way to go. I drag it out of the turkey woods constantly. Newspaper and gas starters are for pussies. One match to start a fire is all you need. Try to kick a 3 foot stump over of this shit and it's like kicking a building. You'll land on your ass. Been there.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

I love looking for the stuff. Hit up mature hardwood stands and bottoms. Old stumps stick out like sore thumbs. Walk the creeks and look on either side. Take a sharp axe and a sledge hammer. Get a piece started with the axe and break it off with the hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Gbelly is the king of fatlighter, indisputable.

a lot of the "uppity" places get their fat lighter from other countries...sad
    At least I'm housebroken.

So if I have some large pine trees logged, do some of you want to arm wrestle over the stumps?
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

If you got a stand of knotty pines then you know where there is all the fat lighter you will ever need. I got as much pictured here in about 15 minutes a couple years ago. Should last for several more.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles