Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pointing labs

Looking to the future, what is everyone's opinion on these? I've heard everything from "the best thing since sliced bread, especially if you hunt woodcock" to "they are an abberation!" (which is the AKC take on 'em)

I'm eventually gonna get a lab, but the thought of having a pointing dog at the same time intrigued me. But I don't want to pursue it if it's a problem route.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I have seen them back up a pointer...but as a single pointer I am unsure of their ability. If you want an all around dog, Deutsche Drathaar...I have done a lot of research on the breed and when I am ready for another dog, this will be my purchase. Only con with the breed that I can see is that they dont hold up too well to cold weather. If you hunt SC exclusively, I dont see that as a problem. It has been a week since I have worn long sleeves.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I've quail hunted behind a few and never had one impress me as far as their pointing ability...they do sound appealing for someone who likes to hunt upland game and waterfowl but from the limited experiences I've had with 'em, I'll keep my Pointers and leave the retriever work for the labs....

He can't take cold water like a lab but I think my shorthair can do a better job of retrieving ducks than most pointing labs can do pointing the quail. If you want a dog that can do both and possibly blood trail deer too, look at one of the "versatile" breeds, like shorthairs, wirehairs, drathaars, etc. They were invented for the hunter that needed one dog to do it all.

Upland dogs are built to stay cool while running where retrievers are built to retain heat better. I put a vest on my GSP and he does fine around here. He's been on mornings when he could walk on the ice without breaking through and he weights around 75 lbs. He retrieves better than many labs I've hunted over.

If you want the best all around breed Get a German Wirehair. enough said.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

It's all in the eyes of the beholder. If you have one(pointing lab) then it's the shit, If you have a pointer it's the shit.
    80-20 Genaration

I have told by trainers never to buy a pointing lab, because all labs point, are y'all talking about a totally diff breed?

The best all around damned dog you could have the pleasure of hunting over Or at least that is what I am told.

Shows they have a litter coming up in the spring...thinking pretty damned hard about it.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

BB Deutsch-Drahthaar in English means German Wirehair.Don't let the DD people blow smoke up your ass that a DD is not the same dog as a German wire hair. Because they are. they all go back to the same foundation blood from Germany. The DD people say that there blood lines is more pure and that may be so but my bloodline goes back 40 + years. I have bred for Hunt and temperament. If you do get a DD you had better plan on being the Alpha in the house 24 7. because this breed is not for every body. And the DD people think its cool that there dogs will kill cats and other small animals. If you want to see a GWP work let me know. Good luck.

I was talking with a fellow the other day that has one. He works at McEntire and takes off most of the pheasnt season to be in S Dakota with his dog. He was going on about how good his dog his. He did mention that he uses a shock collar when the dog ranges to far. I have his name & number if you want to talk with him.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

I would buy a dog for what you think you'll use it for the most. If you want a retriever get one if you want a pointer get one of those. I don't think there is one perfect dog. Yes there are dogs that will do both but not as good as one that was breed for the purpose. I have seen gundogs dogs and they are great, but most people don't spend the time with them that he does. It's also white and doesn't handle the cold as well as a lab and wasn't meant to sit still in a duck blind it was made to go. My lab puppy has been pointing everything the last week but I'm sure he will loose all that because I don't plan on spending the time to work on those skills. It would take a lot of time and some luck to get a dog with both skills to do both jobs well.
    Breaking clays<br />makes my day,<br />but eating skeet<br />ain\'t no treat.

Originally posted by gundogguru:
    If you do get a DD you had better plan on being the Alpha in the house 24 7. because this breed is not for every body.
    I know of no other way to train a dog.

I appreciate the responses. GDG, your dogs are not verified by the VDD? From reading their (VDD)literature, it does appear that they are a bit uppity and full of themselves. I do think that they have a point though. For anyone who is interested, here is the link explaining one side of the story.

I would love to see your dogs work. RP and I have discussed at length shooting some released birds, perhaps a trip to Summerville to hunt over your dog(s) will be in order once duck season is over. One more thing, are the VDD verified dogs more vicious or ill tempered than the standard AKC registered GWP?

Skyduck, I plan on utilizing some family land and start managing for and hunting quail. As a duckhunter first, I will need a no nonsense retriever. I dont have enough time or resources to train two dogs.

BB I would love for you and any body else come and see my dogs work Just say when. VDD are more ill tempered and they like it that way. my dogs are sweet and some what outgoing. Till they get to know you then you are there best friend. But when it comes to hunting they are all business. And they live to hunt. I have hunted mine from snow geese to rabbits. I tracked a crippled Bobcat with my old wire.

I would like to revisit this subject. I'm using this thread as I've been unable to start a new thread since the update. I've been hunting over my buddies DD on game farm Quail for several years now. We use her to point and one of my Labs to flush. She's getting old now, looking to give her a break. That DD is a damn hardheaded dog with poor blind manors. That brings me to the subject of the pointing lab. I work my dogs at towers shoots when I can to get them some work. One of the fellows breed his bitch with a pointing Lab and keep one of the pups. I invited him to come work his dog on our next game farm hunt but he had a prior commitment. New thoughts on this after 10 years

Depends on your full plans with the pointing lab. Buddy and his dad both have pointing labs. They are wired up. They do a good job of pointing and holding birds, but when it comes to a dove field or duck blind they have to lease the dogs on. Could it be their training method? Yes. Could you break him? Yes but by breaking him to be a retriever you would take some of his drive out for the upland hunting. It's hard to get a dog to do both above average.

I as well am looking for the all around route the next time I get a dog. I have been getting labs my whole life. This is the first time I will be phasing one out while phasing one in. I already have a lab so I want something different. I have narrowed it down to a gsp or a pudelpointer. Right now I am leaning towards a pudelpointer. I have been looking at them for a while and watched them work. They are the closest thing I have seen to a retriever and a pointer combined.

Friend has them and he doves/duck hunts with them hear and they will point quail/pheasant in Nebraska amazingly well. All of their dogs are Nebraska bloodlines. I can get yall in touch if you want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Huck View Post
    I would like to revisit this subject. I'm using this thread as I've been unable to start a new thread since the update. I've been hunting over my buddies DD on game farm Quail for several years now. We use her to point and one of my Labs to flush. She's getting old now, looking to give her a break. That DD is a damn hardheaded dog with poor blind manors. That brings me to the subject of the pointing lab. I work my dogs at towers shoots when I can to get them some work. One of the fellows breed his bitch with a pointing Lab and keep one of the pups. I invited him to come work his dog on our next game farm hunt but he had a prior commitment. New thoughts on this after 10 years
    That is your buddies fault, then. All of the dd's and GWP I have hunted have been well mannered. Mine will whimper when I haven't released on a downed bird, but besides that he does decent. The versatile dogs are amazing dogs, that are strong on everything. Mine has pointed and retrieved pheasant. Retrieved ducks, and tracked deer. And is a great babysitter, and protector. He will go nuts to get a squirrel. His only downfall is cats, and dominant dogs. He will kill a cat in a hurry. He is great with dogs unless one tries to be boss over him. I'd look at the GWP, DD, WPG, or PP. If you want a do all dog.

https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58a09b43...6920479993.jpg
    https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58a09b86...330947347.jpeg
    https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58a09bb8...114_073125.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by duckcommander727; 02-12-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

That may be correct. She is supposed to be a pro trained dog. She was a few years old ,had been trained, breed and fixed. He's not a trainer and He's happy with her so.

Default Pointing labs

An english pointer will run circles around any lab as far as upland is concerned. I hunt quail w my lab and have w 3 others. If you want to upland hunt, get a pointer. If you want to hunt waterfowl get a lab. If you want to do both, get two dogs. Or better yet 4-6. Love having the labs as supplemental dogs for flushing and retrieving. They will point a bird on their own, but 8-9/10 times the pointers are finding those birds first. I also think eng setters are great upland bird dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 02-12-2017 at 06:31 PM.