Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm vs .40 vs .45

Default 9mm vs .40 vs .45

This has been beat to death on the internet, and probably on here, but I have not been on the guns and ammo sub-forum much in the past.

I know there are several active and former military, as well as LE on here, so trying to get some feedback from people with real world, first hand experience on effectiveness, or lack thereof, of these calibers. Thoughts?
    Last edited by everlast; 11-16-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

With the technology of 9mm ammo these days, I'd rather carry a 9mm w/ 17+1 rounds than a 1911 with 7+1.

Add a spare mag, and you're 35 rounds vs 15.

To me, it's a no-brainer.

what about a double stacked 1911? Lets just say for the sake of argument that number of rounds was not a factor, would your choice still be the same?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

9mm. Round count is where it's at. Anyone who thinks a 9mm round to the chest won't kill someone should go try taking one
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    what about a double stacked 1911? Lets just say for the sake of argument that number of rounds was not a factor, would your choice still be the same?
    Double-stack 1911? There aren't too many to choose from, and they don't fit my hands too well; too damned thick. Double-stack "other" pistols? Too damned big and heavy to carry. I don't see myself trying to conceal my HK45 or any other of my full-size 45's. I do have a G36 that I do enjoy carrying, though.

If capacity were not a factor, I'd take a .45, hands down.

However, this isn't a perfect world. I'll stick to my 9mm answer.
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 11-16-2015 at 01:10 PM.

There is ALOT of ambiguity in this question.

Are you looking to get into a shootout with a gang, nightstand table for defense, or carry gun?

I carry a 1911/UltraCarryII almost every day, a .40 when I can't conceal the 1911, and a Kahr CM40 when I need something to throw in the pocket of my fishing shorts.

I understand the thought of round count, but I am also a realist that has zero intentions of getting into an "OK Corral" type of thing. I have no desire to be the last man standing in a parking lot full of bodies. If I have to have 35+ round I either need to go spend some time at the range or call in the cavalry.

For me it is about stopping power. A shot to the thoracic with any caliber can kill you "eventually". If my shot placement is a little low WTSHTF, I want to do as much damage as I can with what I have.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 11-16-2015 at 01:30 PM.

and you can buy 9mm for cheap. I had several 45's and 40's. All I have now in autos is 9mm and my 10mm glock. Will prob be buying another 9mm soon in a glock 43 for EDC.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    There is ALOT of ambiguity in this question.

Are you looking to get into a shootout with a gang, nightstand table for defense, or carry gun?

I carry a 1911/UltraCarryII almost every day, a .40 when I can't conceal the 1911, and a Kahr CM40 when I need something to throw in the pocket of my fishing shorts.

I understand the thought of round count, but I am also a realist that has zero intentions of getting into an "OK Corral" type of thing. I have no desire to be the last man standing in a parking lot full of bodies. If I have to have 35+ round I either need to go spend some time at the range or call in the cavalry.

For me it is about stopping power. A shot to the thoracic with any caliber can kill you "eventually". If my shot placement is a little low WTSHTF, I want to do as much damage as I can with what I have.
    I am probably overthinking it. I know that each caliber has its advantages depending on the situation. I am just interested in standardizing calibers as much as possible for ammo purchases and eventually reloading.
    Last edited by everlast; 11-16-2015 at 01:33 PM.
    -Samuel Adams

I carry a g43, g19 or g17 or a combination thereof daily and never feel out gunned.

I am probably overthinking it. I know that each caliber has its advantages depending on the situation. I am just interested in standardizing calibers as much as possible for ammo purchases and eventually reloading.
    Tin foil hat time but if shit goes south the government uses 9mm
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Tin foil hat time but if shit goes south the government uses 9mm
    Like Sam Elliott said in We were soldiers. When the fighting starts there will be plenty laying around to pick up
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

9mm and I don't think it can be argued otherwise. Handguns kill from penetration and rounds on target. That second or third or fourth shot needs to be on target just as much as the first. A deer can run when shot with a 30-06. A man can run shot with a .45.

Unless you hit the brain box you are going to have to wait for your target to bleed to death regardless of the pistol used.

I am an idiot and carry a .40. I bought three and all the reloading components for them. I can shoot mine extremely well but I wish they were 9mm instead. One day I will sell the .40s and convert over.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    9mm and I don't think it can be argued otherwise. Handguns kill from penetration and rounds on target. That second or third or fourth shot needs to be on target just as much as the first.
    Are you saying 9mm because of capacity only, or faster follow-up shots?
    Last edited by everlast; 11-16-2015 at 01:56 PM.
    -Samuel Adams

Are you saying 9mm because of capacity only, or faster follow-up shots?
    Both. A Glock 19 is a nasty weapon for double taps and hammered pairs.

-Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Like Sam Elliott said in We were soldiers. When the fighting starts there will be plenty laying around to pick up
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwATvALiQ_8[/ame]
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

If controlled pairs are the ticket, here is the answer

Last edited by everlast; 11-16-2015 at 02:52 PM.
    -Samuel Adams

I prefer 9mm. Ammo is cheaper and readily available. As mentioned, never trust a single round from ANY pistol caliber gun to get the job done. One of my instructors, who has used pistols a lot in combat, has a "one mag, one kill" mentality. May not need that much, but be prepared to.

Observations from the LE field... officers are more proficient with 9mm guns than 40's as they are easier to shoot well without developing a flinch. Some of us who have been carrying the 40 since 1990 are okay with it - a lot of folks are not.

That having been said, if you can shoot a 40 or 45 WELL and comfortably, don't hesitate to carry one. SHOT FOR SHOT, they are more effective than the 9mm due to better penetration in most instances. But, again, it's volume of fire that generally gets it done.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Pick one and practice ALOT. I would probably choose a 9mm because it's cheap to shoot and good ammo is easy to find.