Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: swamp work

Is the brown dog a Chessie or a Lab? Or are there two different dogs in your pictures?
    That the Tiger's roar may echo.....

that looks like a duck murder hole- awesome work

Quote Originally Posted by Aging Baby Boomer View Post
    Is the brown dog a Chessie or a Lab? Or are there two different dogs in your pictures?
    Same dog. Brown lab

I like the intensity your dog is staring at the duck with...
    Cool picture and nice job on your duck hole.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSprig View Post
    I like the intensity your dog is staring at the duck with...
    Cool picture and nice job on your duck hole.
    she is a killer, no doubt! unfortunately tore her ACL a few weeks ago. Surgery went well. I hope she's still 100% next season

Good stuff!

Thats awesome. That Mallard was a reward of hard work.

awesome man great work

How does the Clemson Pond Leveler work in holding and adding water to the swamp? I have a spot like this that is fairly open already but has a beaver pond holding the water. I was going to try and add a way to regulate water in it myself.

Rice is tricky when growing as a food plot instead of crop. It makes blank head that can get you all excited but if you go run your fingers through it, they're empty. Two things, one you mentioned - it needs fertilizer and two, you have to check for disease and bugs. Rice actually doesn't need flood to grow, the flood is more for weed and pest control (it does need water, but not constant water). Weeds mixed in isn't bad, the whole "dirty rice" thing is a big movement among duck people in MS Delta but the bugs (stink bugs, aphids, and rice borers) are what can kill you, it can take some high-dollar chemical to get those.

The other thing about rice is timing. You don't have to plant it as early as the farmers because you're not going to try for a second crop but you have to plant it early enough that it is blooming in the hottest part of summer.

I've always told people, sure - strow some out but the average wildlife plot would make more seed with more manageable inputs growing weeds than growing rice. But if you're a rice farmer, plant and I'll talk you into growing a few weeds to go with your rice!

Quote Originally Posted by cduke View Post
    How does the Clemson Pond Leveler work in holding and adding water to the swamp? I have a spot like this that is fairly open already but has a beaver pond holding the water. I was going to try and add a way to regulate water in it myself.
    You'll need to make a cut in the dam, at the deepest part, near the creek channel. Or, at least at the lowest level you want to drain the water (if you don't want to drain the entire swamp).
    The leveler (PVC pipe wrapped in wire) needs to be resting on the swamp side all the way down at ground level. Fill in dirt back onto the pipe. Or cap off the pipe on the output side and the beavers will come repair the dam for you. Make sure to extend the pipe long enough out that over time the dam doesn't cover up the ends (on both sides). I used 10in pipe for the drain section that has holes in it, and then a coupler that reduces it down to 8in that runs out to the other side (cheaper pipe). Next I added an elbow on the output side and sections of pipe to it, to the level at which i wanted water to be on the swamp side of the dam. Send me a PM if you get serious about it and want more info. I'd be able to explain over the phone better. It's pretty simple though.

20171223_080534.jpg
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 01-19-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Try some sorghum i think it will work better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ajwf662 View Post
    I've always told people, sure - strow some out but the average wildlife plot would make more seed with more manageable inputs growing weeds than growing rice. But if you're a rice farmer, plant and I'll talk you into growing a few weeds to go with your rice!
    Good info. thanks. What 'weeds' have better yields than rice?
    I am pretty set on rice now after seeing how well the plant held up over the season. It's all still standing after multiple floods.

Quote Originally Posted by camotoon60 View Post
    Try some sorghum i think it will work better for you.
    I may experiment with milo this year, but was told ducks prefer rice.
    Last edited by YoungBuckTX; 01-19-2018 at 10:04 AM.

That is what I was thinking. The only thing that has my mind blown and i may be way over thinking it... if the elbow and vertical PVC is on the "outflow" side of the dam, how does that regulate the water on the "swamp" side of the creek?

I may catch hell for asking that but in my mind the water will still fill up the vertical section of PVC without the swamp side raising to the level of the vertical outflow pipe...

I build mine that way too. It is just head pressure. It does not matter which side of the dike the pipe is on. If you put a valve in front of it, then you can shut off the valve and remove the pipe (or open a drain) without getting too wet.
    I will say that in my experience I would not use them if the pond level is going to be more that say 3 feet deep. It makes for a very tall outflow pipe.

in an agriculture situation, rice certainly out produces. But in a food plot where rice might not get the fertilizer it needs or pesticide it needs to fully produce, lots of weeds will produce more - smartweeds and barnyard grass and foxtail comes to mind. Sprangle top - more seed but tiny tiny and panic grass. You could probably get spike rush to grow out there too. You'll get some different types of sedge to grow out there if it stays damp. You can grow a LOT of duck food without planting anything. Maybe think of it like weeds as the buffet but planted food as the ice cream...

The other benefit to growing weeds is you can cut you some pockets or holes or lanes if it gets too tall but you can't do that with planted stuff our you'll be baiting.

ducks eat milo just as much as they eat rice, but its hard to flood deep enough for them to get to the milo seeds and the stalks stay strong/standing up so long (if you don't space your rows way far apart) that it's hard for ducks to land in. Also, milo seeds rot in about 30 days once they get wet (like soybeans) but rice will last... a really really long time! I've heard, but I don't know, that the deer will hit milo harder than rice so there's that. But blackbirds and hogs are death to both...

The other thing that is a great benefit that we haven't talked about to rice (and milo) is all the structure it provides to bugs/invertebrates once it is flooded. if weeds are the buffet and planted food the ice cream then invertebrates are the eggs and bacon!

What if rice volunteers the following season? Can it be manipulated with the other weeds and mowed?
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ajwf662 View Post
    in an agriculture situation, rice certainly out produces. But in a food plot where rice might not get the fertilizer it needs or pesticide it needs to fully produce, lots of weeds will produce more - smartweeds and barnyard grass and foxtail comes to mind. Sprangle top - more seed but tiny tiny and panic grass. You could probably get spike rush to grow out there too. You'll get some different types of sedge to grow out there if it stays damp. You can grow a LOT of duck food without planting anything. Maybe think of it like weeds as the buffet but planted food as the ice cream...

The other benefit to growing weeds is you can cut you some pockets or holes or lanes if it gets too tall but you can't do that with planted stuff our you'll be baiting.

ducks eat milo just as much as they eat rice, but its hard to flood deep enough for them to get to the milo seeds and the stalks stay strong/standing up so long (if you don't space your rows way far apart) that it's hard for ducks to land in. Also, milo seeds rot in about 30 days once they get wet (like soybeans) but rice will last... a really really long time! I've heard, but I don't know, that the deer will hit milo harder than rice so there's that. But blackbirds and hogs are death to both...

The other thing that is a great benefit that we haven't talked about to rice (and milo) is all the structure it provides to bugs/invertebrates once it is flooded. if weeds are the buffet and planted food the ice cream then invertebrates are the eggs and bacon!
    I planted milo (5 acres) this year and won't be doing it again.....the deer cleaned me out over a 2 week period in October. Shockingly the pigs paid no attention to it.....walked right through and never knocked the first stalk down. The only way I would plant corn/milo again is if I put a fence around the field....and I really don't like the thought of hunting and looking at a fence.

I'm may try this cultivating weeds deal for next season...and possibly mixing in some ice cream.....already have plenty of wild millet, nutsedges, and even had some duck potato pop up in the low end of the field (pigs destroyed it before the season). That waterfowl management handbook that was posted looks like a good resource.

Is it possible to bushhog, light disc, broadcast jap millet, rice, etc amongst the weeds....or will the weeds basically out compete the ice cream?

A volunteer crop of ag hot foods or millett that was planted the previous season can be manipulated. You cannot manipulate anything that was planted in the same year it was planted. I have had duck hunter have such a volunteer crop of millett that they had the local game warden come out and evaluate it and prove they didn't buy any seed that year so there wouldn't be any trouble.

Rice will volunteer from seeds or from old roots if there wasn't a killing frost the year before but almost never has the right conditions to make seeds from the volunteer crop.

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    I planted milo (5 acres) this year and won't be doing it again.....the deer cleaned me out over a 2 week period in October. Shockingly the pigs paid no attention to it.....walked right through and never knocked the first stalk down. The only way I would plant corn/milo again is if I put a fence around the field....and I really don't like the thought of hunting and looking at a fence.

I'm may try this cultivating weeds deal for next season...and possibly mixing in some ice cream.....already have plenty of wild millet, nutsedges, and even had some duck potato pop up in the low end of the field (pigs destroyed it before the season). That waterfowl management handbook that was posted looks like a good resource.

Is it possible to bushhog, light disc, broadcast jap millet, rice, etc amongst the weeds....or will the weeds basically out compete the ice cream?
    totally possible. But then you can't manipulate any holes or lanes if they made seed so be careful there. Cultivating weeds for ducks is called "moist soil management" and there's tons of resources on the old Google. The biggest problem for most people is sesbania/coffee weed will need to be treated young so grass and other weeds can get established.

Depending on the size of your place you could rotate with millet. Divide your place into thirds. Plant one section, let it volunteer/grow weeds next two years. Year two, plant the middle section, year three, plant the last section. You might get good enough at growing weeds you don't have to supplement with millet but it would give you time for a learning curve. And growing weeds is a good back up to army worms or bad rain timing.