Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Orangeburg Tag meeting

Even if the hunters demand telecheck DNR is going to fight it. For some reason they don't want it.
    Windows Down!

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

We needed to take a pile of does on our club prior to 10/04/15. Now we don't need to shoot any. I am glad we had too many deer prior to 10/4/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    So it isn't a population problem?

Just a management problem?
    You have never seen me post or say we had a population problem. I may have gotten out of the way when some of these rants start and not refute them.

I don't care how we get something in to cut down on the sheer number of bucks taken.

If they were all 150" monsters I'd still say that.

If we can do that what is next can we go bigger?

4 bucks is gracious plenty to take out in 1 year per hunter. At that point go help a friend or young person take some big bucks and quit being so greedy!

Does? There are in some places too many. Way to many.

In other places the over all heard is down.

I do think by essentially forcing everyone into the DQP it will give DNR the ability to micro manage better on different ends of a county.

Oh, depredation only came up 4 times in the meeting.

As a whole the Orangeburg crowd seemed more ok with their neighbors shooting a deer they let walk. Rather shocked me and the young lady from DNR who posed the question.

One man wanted us all to hear him speak and ranted on about all these deer belonging to the lord and not the state. Everyone broke out cheering.

I was waiting for cigarette lighters to come out and a impromptu singing rendition of Sign to be sung

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0tu_4Y_b_w[/ame]

silentweapon338 where do you hunt at in SC? Oh and by the way I thought Rep. Ott did a fine job last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post

4 bucks is gracious plenty to take out in 1 year per hunter. At that point go help a friend or young person take some big bucks and quit being so greedy!
    Killing more than 1 buck a month is being greedy?

All of my nieces/nephews and friends/family already kill plenty of deer..

I wonder if Ruth gets "donations" from QDMA?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

You have never seen me post or say we had a population problem. I may have gotten out of the way when some of these rants start and not refute them.

I don't care how we get something in to cut down on the sheer number of bucks taken.

If they were all 150" monsters I'd still say that.

If we can do that what is next can we go bigger?

Does? There are in some places too many. Way to many.

In other places the over all heard is down.

I do think by essentially forcing everyone into the DQP it will give DNR the ability to micro manage better on different ends of a county.

Oh, depredation only came up 4 times in the meeting.

As a whole the Orangeburg crowd seemed more ok with their neighbors shooting a deer they let walk. Rather shocked me and the young lady from DNR who posed the question.

One man wanted us all to hear him speak and ranted on about all these deer belonging to the lord and not the state. Everyone broke out cheering.

I was waiting for cigarette lighters to come out and a impromptu singing rendition of Sign to be sung

I am not opposed to tags at all. Nor limits. We manage our stuff way more stringent than most. I think DNR has done a good job managing the shut downs. I would like to see them manage the WMA's much more closely than what is done.
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

I thought the majority of the people last night that were in attendance were against the bill. That includes some club presidents that I know manage their deer herds. The system is not broken in the Lowcountry. Ruth loves to point out that the deer populations are falling and I will agree with him on that. That being said they are falling because the numbers that the deer herd was at in the late 90's could not be sustained. There was no where for the population to go but down. So yes they are falling but they are by no means close to having to be worried about yet. Also Ruth LOVES to bring up that everyone else is doing it. He fails to tell you that numbers are down all across the southeast even in all those states where limits are in place!! It all boils down to what I just said. The numbers from the late 90's could not be sustained. Also he is scewing his numbers on the deer just like he did on the turkeys. He loves to point out that 30% of the deer are being killed by hunters that kill 4 or more deer. That being said if you poll hunters, this man may go 4 times a month and this man may go 4 times a week. The man that goes 4 times a week is going to kill more than the man goes 4 times a month. So you're polling average Joe weekend warriors and skewing your numbers to make the man that hunts hard look bad. All this being said I hunt 3-4 times a week and before you say I'm the man next door killing all "your deer", I'm not. Ive seen close to 40 bucks this year and have not pulled the trigger once on a buck...... The system is not broke period.

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Even if the hunters demand telecheck DNR is going to fight it. For some reason they don't want it.
    Dollars to doughnuts it's the $$$$ of it.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Killing more than 1 buck a month is being greedy?

All of my nieces/nephews and friends/family already kill plenty of deer..

Go kill more does! You could have a freak season and kill 3-4 monsters. But more than likely it is gonna be a truck full of "that was fun I wish he was bigger than a 4pt" "Lets get some pics for Face book" "Wack the horns off and throw them on the dog pen"

Heck I still say I got (Would still get) more of a rush shooting a 80 lbs doe in front of a screaming pack of hounds that I do killing any of the big deer I've groomed and taken out of a tree stand.

But I don't think killing endless amounts of bucks is going to help grow bigger antlered deer in SC.

Mr. PJ.
    Did you have prior conversation with Rep Ott. that would have prevued you to his stance or concerns?

If so, is it possible this was already in your mind so you were able to surmise conclusions based on prior knowledge from his responses?

If you had no prior knowledge can you tell me unequivocally what the Rep's actual stance was?

As to were I hunt
    I have the ability to hunt in
    Orangeburg county
    Clarendon County
    Sumter County
    and
    Florence county.

Then if I start calling on friends to go hunt the sky is the limit.

But if your curious as to why I am so concerned we are 1 state and at the end of the day we will have law effecting us as 1 state.

I want to make dang sure I go, I call, I put forth input I feel as though will positively effect my goals.

I heard ISIS.

we are 1 state and at the end of the day we will have law effecting us as 1 state.
    Goodness. So the goal is more law, and less biology?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

What's so wrong about throwing the antlers to the dogs?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    I thought the majority of the people last night that were in attendance were against the bill. That includes some club presidents that I know manage their deer herds. The system is not broken in the Lowcountry. Ruth loves to point out that the deer populations are falling and I will agree with him on that. That being said they are falling because the numbers that the deer herd was at in the late 90's could not be sustained. There was no where for the population to go but down. So yes they are falling but they are by no means close to having to be worried about yet. Also Ruth LOVES to bring up that everyone else is doing it. He fails to tell you that numbers are down all across the southeast even in all those states where limits are in place!! It all boils down to what I just said. The numbers from the late 90's could not be sustained. Also he is scewing his numbers on the deer just like he did on the turkeys. He loves to point out that 30% of the deer are being killed by hunters that kill 4 or more deer. That being said if you poll hunters, this man may go 4 times a month and this man may go 4 times a week. The man that goes 4 times a week is going to kill more than the man goes 4 times a month. So you're polling average Joe weekend warriors and skewing your numbers to make the man that hunts hard look bad. All this being said I hunt 3-4 times a week and before you say I'm the man next door killing all "your deer", I'm not. Ive seen close to 40 bucks this year and have not pulled the trigger once on a buck...... The system is not broke period.
    I would agree with you that sentiment as a whole the room was against it.

But the problem was half the crowd didn't want it because they wanted stricter antler restrictions. Which technically is more demanding than just numbers. One third was against it because they wanted less bucks harvested. The other 1/3 didn't want it because they wanted to kill endless bucks.

So really it wasn't that they were opposed to the bill because it so harsh and hard. It wasn't harsh enough so they didn't want it.

This crowd didn't seem nearly as interested in the bill its self as some of the other meetings I attended. They for the most part had their own theories and thoughts rather than debating or discussing the bill on the table.

Nothing wrong with this, I'm just pointing this out. If you will notice for those that attended CR was not engaged at all. This is unlike any other meeting I attended. From his facial expressions it wast from the fact there was not a reason to get engaged. It seemed like there were a few very respected individuals in the community that folks were wiling to listen to so CR gave them the floor, but what they spoke on or about really didn't have the first thing to do with the bill. CR was respectful and let them talk.

Mr. PJ I get the fact that if go more you will have more opportunities to harvest. To most that is common sense.

I applaud you for seeing so many bucks and being so selective.

As it currently stands doesn't sound like limiting you to 4 bucks is going to hurt you.

The bill was designed to limit the man who goes 3-4 times a week and thinks it is a bad week when he doesn't kill a buck.
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 10-14-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    Well said. The best example I can give is talking with a local processor that without a doubt takes in more deer than anyone in the county. He said that this year followed by last, was the healthiest deer as a whole he'd ever seen in his years there.
    They are trying to fix the out of wack areas and are going to hurt the well managed places in the end.
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Well said. The best example I can give is talking with a local processor that without a doubt takes in more deer than anyone in the county. He said that this year followed by last, was the healthiest deer as a whole he'd ever seen in his years there.
    They are trying to fix the out of wack areas and are going to hurt the well managed places in the end.
    Question for your healthy comment.

Any idea what caused the boom of deer in the late 80's-2000?

Massive timber harvest that resulted in fresh cut downs every where and for the most part herbicide was not used before replanting. For close to 10 years you had vast areas that could support huge deer numbers.

As the Timber matured it created a pine tree desert. This was and is the single biggest limiting factor on our heard. All the other problems stem back to a monoculture echo system based around pine trees. Everything from predidation to depredation to lack of browse.

Interestingly enough you say your processor say he has had the healthiest deer the past 2 years.

Any Idea what happened in January/February of 2014?

A huge massive ice storm.

This ice storm resulted in the premature cutting of pulp wood that would have other wise been lost to the destruction.

This once again caused a area perfect for growing deer and increasing the "health."

Unfortunately herbicide was used on many of these plots and this has a devastating effect on the vegetation suitable for deer. However anything is better than a shaded out pine forest!

Now understand it was on a much smaller scale than in the 80's after hugo, but it happened and this has to be taken into account when talking about over all size & health of deer.

Environments change. Managing the heard is not a static task it is fluid. We need to be able to adapt along with changing conditions. I like a annual plan that changes every year, but sticks to certain goals. I don't like giving DNR authority to switch the rules in the middle of a game or season.
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 10-14-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Go kill more does! You could have a freak season and kill 3-4 monsters. But more than likely it is gonna be a truck full of "that was fun I wish he was bigger than a 4pt" "Lets get some pics for Face book" "Wack the horns off and throw them on the dog pen"
    I don't want to kill more does, they produce those 4-6 points whom I shoot in front of dogs, and saw their horns off and throw under a shaded area where they don't bleach.. I'm also a world class Instagramer of said murderous events..

I don't want to kill more does, they produce those 4-6 points whom I shoot in front of dogs, and saw their horns off and throw under a shaded area where they don't bleach.. I'm also a world class Instagramer of said murderous events..
    Truth. I've seen evidence of your deeds
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

He is more of a pound signer, than an instagrammer.

But, his game is strong in both venues.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Evidence?
    Any instagrams of said singer?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    He is more of a pound signer, than an instagrammer.

But, his game is strong in both venues.
    My pictures look like something Johann Sebastian Bach put on a canvas... Poetry in motion and what not..