Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Orangeburg Tag meeting

I enjoyed our discussion and respect your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    When did he say this? He told me today on the phone that a 4 and 4 tag system would be the most liberal in the country and that NC would be the next closest with their eastern portion of the state having 3 tags.
    You are correct, I thought about it and I am wrong. He said most liberal not that it was unregulated I apologize. So much trivial bs at the meeting in o'burg left my mind spinning. My overall take is that you will never make everyone happy, however I disagree with a blanket policy for the state. Mainly because the useless bastards cost me $50,000 a year. My farm is located at exit 90 at I95 for reference

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    Guys we can argue on this until this time next year and will never agree. You have your opinion and I have mine. Just remember this, Rep Ott is on the ag committee.....
    True, but not the sub-committee and he isn't the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by coon hunter View Post
    You are correct, I thought about it and I am wrong. He said most liberal not that it was unregulated I apologize. So much trivial bs at the meeting in o'burg left my mind spinning. My overall take is that you will never make everyone happy, however I disagree with a blanket policy for the state. Mainly because the useless bastards cost me $50,000 a year. My farm is located at exit 90 at I95 for reference
    Then it could easily bump up the doe tags. Does are what drive populations. In heavy ag damage areas liberal doe tags with some restrictions on bucks would, if by mind games only, shift some harvest to does. Right now I speculate many hunters in your area would chose a spike buck over a big fat doe.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    Then it could easily bump up the doe tags. Does are what drive populations. In heavy ag damage areas liberal doe tags with some restrictions on bucks would, if by mind games only, shift some harvest to does. Right now I speculate many hunters in your area would chose a spike buck over a big fat doe.
    Your speculation would be wrong. Most of the hunters around coon hunter are trophy hunters. Wouldn't you agree with that coon hunter?

Yeah besides one club I have older guys who are the type that think they will only shoot trophies UNTIL Dec 1 then they all want to fill the freezer, but the deer are scarce because of all the traffic in the woods and nothing in the fields to eat. So they end up in the whatever percent that only kills 2 deer even though they have seen a million over the course of the year. Did give a landowner some doe tags the other day and asked if that was enough, he responded, "I hope not" I like that guy now. I used to hunt 3-5 times a week and had a pack of dogs and killed the hell out of them. but as I got older and had to deal with all the people bitching about the guy who hunts next door shooting this and that (hell I am feeding them all) it made me hate deer and deer hunters to the point I have no desire to hunt them. I have sat 3 times in 3 years. I have killed 4 my fiancé missed 2 and killed 1....most of that came out of a make shift blind I constructed in the middle of a picked peanut field. We have to many deer. Here

I actually live in the middle of about 12-14 sq miles on the west side of 95 that is trophy managed by maybe 7 landowners. Across the interstate is a different mindset....they eat my ass up on both sides though probably 25%worse on the managed side, dog club east of 95 keeps them beat down pretty good. They kill nice bucks every year, a bunch of them, a bunch and hunt the right way

Sounds like you need to find some sho'nuff doe killers for your property willing to do work early on. They're out there, just need to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Question for your healthy comment.

Any idea what caused the boom of deer in the late 80's-2000?

Massive timber harvest that resulted in fresh cut downs every where

I like your way of thinking. It's past time to create some more habitat.

CR told me directly Monday night that we did not need to influence people to shoot more does in this heavily Ag area, that it would not accomplish his goal. My jaw about hit the floor.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    I like your way of thinking. It's past time to create some more habitat.
    Suits me. I hate a pine tree with a passion.

I have a bunch of friends in the timber industry.

Some are "consultants" some are just timber "dicks"

Regardless. I wish the state would promote some sort of program to create hard wood habitat in favor of those stupid hard weeds.

95% of al the problem we have stem back to that tree!