Thread: .44 mag

Would like opinions from people who hunt with .44 mag's on bullet selection for hogs and deer. Not expecting one bullet to do both. Was thinking a cast Keith style bullet for hogs and something that would expand better for deer. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    \"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men.\" - MAURICE THOMPSON, The Witchery of Archery. 1878

A semi jacketed soft point is the best in 240 grain. I have used the hollow points with success also. Do not go with the 185 grain... it has better ballistics but lacks the umph that the big bullets do.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Sasha, Thanks, I'll take umph anyday.
    \"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men.\" - MAURICE THOMPSON, The Witchery of Archery. 1878

Federal Hydro-shock 240 gr. The only bullet you need. The last deer i shot with one you could run a broom handle through the deer. I have never seen any bullet do that much damage to a deer. I shot the deer at 90 yards with a ruger bolt action 44mag and he never moved a muscle, he did not hop, he did not twitch, he just fell stone ass dead.
    It\'s better to burn out than to fade away.

The best load/bullet combo that I have found for any game with the .44 maggie is a 250 grn Keith style semi wadcutter with gas check pushed by 21 grains of Alliant 2400.

Snake
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

Damn, Snake, do you sell ammo for a living?
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

I have heard nothing but good about the keith style bullet. I have been practicing with the 250gr. with 17gr. of 2400.

Longbow, which .44 rifle are you shooting?

I'm shooting a Taurus pistol with an 8" barrel. Not a bad gun for the money. Very accurate, but things need tightened up after you put a few box's of ammo through it mostly the scews in the hand grip.

Keith knew his stuff...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Originally posted by dukhntr:
    Damn, Snake, do you sell ammo for a living?
    No but I load more than my share and shoot way more than anyone person has a right to

Snake
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

longbow, you should've spent a little more and got a Ruger SuperRedhawk 7" .44 mag. I have shot 250+ rounds through it and not a problem yet. It will flat lay one down with the Federal HydroShocks!

cant afford the best you buy the rest maybe thats what he liked [img]graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I HAVE A SUPER REDHAWK WITH A LEUPOLD SCOPE THAT SHOOTS VERY GOOD BUT NEVER HUNTED WITH IT JUST FOR FUN

Thanks to all for info and imput. I can live with the hand grip getting loose after a 100 rounds. I'm not going to make a living out of hunting with a hand gun, just want to do something different once and a while. I've owned redhawks and blackhawks, they are without a doubt fine pistols.

Have you thought about replacing the grip with a Hogue grip?

Thats a good thought Johnny Reb, thanks.