Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer Meat Yield

Default Deer Meat Yield

I saw in another thread where Cottontop/Tater was arguing with someone about the amount of meat you get back from a deer, whether you process a deer yourself or take it to a processor. Now this obviously depends on how you get your meat processed and how diligent the butcher is.

I shot an averaged sized doe a week and a half ago and just finished grinding the last of the meat. I cut whole loins and tenderloins and left the rest to be ground. I am pretty particular about getting all the meat I can off a deer, and I even strip the meat between ribs, something I don't see processors do.

While I didn't get a "live" or field dressed weight on the deer, I ended up with 28.9 pounds of meat with the bulk of that being burger with about 20% fat added. If this doe was 100 pounds alive (maybe a hair generous), that would be around 25% meat yield.

I intend to get a weight of the next one before I start cleaning it to get some absolute numbers, but people claiming you get 50% yield from a deer are expecting a little too much.

Man, most of the people on here are not real "hunters". They are new age wanna be hunters. They got in to it after they met buddies in college or the wife's side of the family got them into it. Exactly what I said...25%. Thanks for the post WNM!
    Last edited by Cottontop74; 10-07-2015 at 06:40 PM.

25-28 percent

I've often gotten between 28-33%, if I remember the numbers right. A lot depends on where you shoot it and how much damage you get.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    You are such a fucking douche bag it is overwhelming at times. You don't know shit about most of the people on here. Moreover, if you think we are a bunch of wannabes, please take yourself to another forum. Have you noticed that folks on this site bash you every time you post? Does that happen with any other poster? Have you put two and two together. Fucking leave. Never post again. Goodbye.
    You just got reeled in Trey.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I've often gotten between 28-33%, if I remember the numbers right. A lot depends on where you shoot it and how much damage you get.
    Or depends were you take it. I took a 180 lbs buck to a place on the county line and got 1 bag of meat. I asked that's it and he said yes never again. It was shot high in the shoulder.

#neckshots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

I've always averaged right at 30%. You get a little less back with does but it's generally pretty close.

I take 2 deer a year to the processor for bologna, cheddar jap sticks, etc - the rest I break down myself. 25% is pretty close to what I get, I don't pick at the ribs or spend a whole lot of time on the front quarters

I also have an incredibly fast & powerful grinder

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444265298.261561.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Conservative View Post
    #neckshots

Good to see you recovered from the remodel , it goes on about every 6-10 yrs., I think I'am getting ready to go thru that, all indications are leaning that way, Lord help us.

And a nice mixer that thing will mix up nice shrimp bait. You just need a press to make bait patties.

Wow....Carolina councel is wound up tighter than dicks hatband! Serious question...when yall clean your deer, do you skin it all the way down, or partially skin it and pull the hide of with a four wheeler or a truck? I've tried pulling the hide if with the four wheeler a few times and when it works, it's the ticket! After the second one popped at the neck when I got the hide down to the hind quarters I said Never Again! Takes about 30 minutes of washing to get all the damn pine needles off the meat...not to mention what kind of funk could be on the ground around a skinning pole!

I've done the golf ball & 4-wheeler thing a couple times, but by the time I get all set up I usually could have had it done old-school.
    I have a Guatemalan dude that works for me - I'm gonna make him watch this over & over again until he gets it down.

I went to visit a Seafood Wholesaler in Atlanta a few years ago (Inland Seafood) - they had a team of Hondurans in the cutting room filleting bushels & bushels of small flounder. These guys could filet a flounder in under 40 seconds, leaving virtually nothing on the bones. It was more impressive than this hombre.

Cottontard, what standards must I meet before you will consider me a "real hunter"?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I pull the skin down with my hands...

Sorry I never replied to thread last week. 200 lb buck I killed skin and dressed to 140 lbs hanging weight. 90 lbs of meat was deboned and trimmed from him. I made mostly sausage and had 100lbs of sausage after adding a little pork fat, peppers and cheese. 45%. Healthy mature deer are going to have higher yields.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Cottontard, what standards must I meet before you will consider me a "real hunter"?
    As long as you respect your quarry, give back to the land, enjoy every opportunity you get to observe God's creation, and take only what you will consume, you are true hunter. Oh yeah, and know how to clean and prepare your game, know how to sharpen your knife the old fashion way, (no just with a worksharp), and do your planting with a ford tractor!
    Last edited by Cottontop74; 10-08-2015 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Sorry I never replied to thread last week. 200 lb buck I killed skin and dressed to 140 lbs hanging weight. 90 lbs of meat was deboned and trimmed from him. I made mostly sausage and had 100lbs of sausage after adding a little pork fat, peppers and cheese. 45%. Healthy mature deer are going to have higher yields.
    Makes sense. Of course, a fella wouldn't know that if he never kills a nice one every once in awhile. Would they cotton?