Thread: Big Bucks and Tags

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    Who's to say you wouldn't get 140 buck tags on 10,000 acres?
    Ruth is to say. In fact he said it at the Florence meeting. Part of my frustration is that many people type stuff on here without knowing the facts.(Imagine that).
    For those coming late to the entertainment I will type it again. Actually I will copy and paste.
    Ruth used a "study" DNR did in the Kingstree area in which 6,600 doe tags were issued to hunters under the doe program. Only 3,300 were used. DNR feels that 6,600 does should have been shot but only have were. So in order to FORCE the hunters to harvest the number of does that DNR feels should be taken, the number of buck tags will be reduced so the hunters will run out of buck tags quickly and start shooting does. Straight from Ruth's mouth.
    So, a property that is enrolled in the doe quota program will receive buck tags using 60% of the USED doe tags as the basis. They had 100 tags but only used 50 so their buck tag allotment will be 30 along with 100 doe tags.
    Or your club shoots 30 bucks and only 30 does. So now your allotment will be 18 buck tags and even more doe tags. Now shift 5 years down the road. The population has increased and we are in need to harvest many more does. You have only shot 2 bucks a year because you are managing for big antlers and age and Bubba has been next to you reaming the 4 points for years. Your personal little piece of paradise is enrolled in the quota program and you receive your tags in 2018 only to realize they sent you 130 doe tags and 1 buck tag because of the numbers established for said county. Or here is a real kick in the balls: You are not shooting what DNR thinks you should shoot so they open your property up to the public (Don't laugh. It can easily go both ways. It was brought up at the Florence meeting)
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Ruth is to say. In fact he said it at the Florence meeting. Part of my frustration is that many people type stuff on here without knowing the facts.(Imagine that).
    For those coming late to the entertainment I will type it again. Actually I will copy and paste.
    Ruth used a "study" DNR did in the Kingstree area in which 6,600 doe tags were issued to hunters under the doe program. Only 3,300 were used. DNR feels that 6,600 does should have been shot but only have were. So in order to FORCE the hunters to harvest the number of does that DNR feels should be taken, the number of buck tags will be reduced so the hunters will run out of buck tags quickly and start shooting does. Straight from Ruth's mouth.
    So, a property that is enrolled in the doe quota program will receive buck tags using 60% of the USED doe tags as the basis. They had 100 tags but only used 50 so their buck tag allotment will be 30 along with 100 doe tags.
    Or your club shoots 30 bucks and only 30 does. So now your allotment will be 18 buck tags and even more doe tags. Now shift 5 years down the road. The population has increased and we are in need to harvest many more does. You have only shot 2 bucks a year because you are managing for big antlers and age and Bubba has been next to you reaming the 4 points for years. Your personal little piece of paradise is enrolled in the quota program and you receive your tags in 2018 only to realize they sent you 130 doe tags and 1 buck tag because of the numbers established for said county. Or here is a real kick in the balls: You are not shooting what DNR thinks you should shoot so they open your property up to the public (Don't laugh. It can easily go both ways. It was brought up at the Florence meeting)
    I suspect that might be either a misunderstanding or not quite what was said. I would think that if you have a good history of harvest x number of bucks, there is probably a good chance that you'd get that amount of tags.

Now if you were a new property, there might be more of a generic formula placed on the property.

Or you all could get 4 buck and 4 does tags apiece.

Has anyone else heard of a 60% formula at other meetings?

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    I suspect that might be either a misunderstanding or not quite what was said. I would think that if you have a good history of harvest x number of bucks, there is probably a good chance that you'd get that amount of tags.

Now if you were a new property, there might be more of a generic formula placed on the property.

Or you all could get 4 buck and 4 does tags apiece.

Has anyone else heard of a 60% formula at other meetings?
    Man read back through the post about the Florence meeting. Everyone heard it that was listening. I am not pulling crap out of thin air. I specifically asked Ruth if I had heard him correctly that the buck tags would be 60% of doe tags used, not issued. He said yes. He also went on to state that DNR would decrease the number of buck tags on a property in order to force the hunters to harvest more does.
    People need to quit assuming and go to one of the meetings and ask direct specific questions, not loaded questions like Ruth's survey questions.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Man read back through the post about the Florence meeting. Everyone heard it that was listening. I am not pulling crap out of thin air. I specifically asked Ruth if I had heard him correctly that the buck tags would be 60% of doe tags used, not issued. He said yes. He also went on to state that DNR would decrease the number of buck tags on a property in order to force the hunters to harvest more does.
    People need to quit assuming and go to one of the meetings and ask direct specific questions, not loaded questions like Ruth's survey questions.
    I was there. He SRR is correct. The 60% was the number given.

While the by zone is a great idea what most of you are missing is this will be accomplished via the tags.

As bigger tracks enroll in the deer quota program DNR will set the limits based off of data they have for different regions. Basically this will allow different zones to be managed differently as a whole. DNR will be calling the shots not the individuals.

Now as SRR has pointed out this is 1 area that disturbs me. How did DNR come up with this data. Ruth's answer is surveys and "other methods" what are these other methods of data collection?

I'm in favor of some sort of tags, but he is correct in what he posted and I understand some of his angst.

I like the idea of having enough property a hunter/manager can call the shots and decide what is best for his property. BUT. The problem with this is there are so many "hey bo's" out there surrounding these properties it makes it hard not to make a blanket policy that can control them. This is a unfortunate side effect, but one that must be tolerated if the deer heard as a whole is to ever get back to a normal healthy sex ratio.

Yes, one of the major side effects of all of this will be larger more mature bucks at harvest, on average.