Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Hunting Rifle_Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    Your last statement is very true. I do like the way the Featherweight and Kimber feel the most. I've not shouldered or shot a T3. They look a bit more bulky. Need to go put my hands on one though...
    I have a T3 in .308 if you want to shoot it. Its not a wood gun but it will give you the idea.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

I have a Tikka T3 Forest that is a great shooting classic looking wood gun...nice oiled stock and rollover check piece...Mines chambered in 25-06...not a bad choice

I'd put the Tikka towards the top of my list in the stated budget. Accurate enough and slick action.

Also, I have a 308-based-cartridge Tikka magazine I would sell you ... lol. My T3 got stolen a while back, but I have the magazine.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I have a Sako 85 stainless in 25-06 - shooting 115 grn Nosler BT's I can put a 5 shot group under a dime @ 100 yards all day long without effort. It's the only bolt action rifle I hunt with that still has the factory trigger, which breaks @ 2 lbs.
    I own (or have within the last 18 months) every rifle on your list except the Kimber - the Sako is the only one I wouldn't part with.
    Last edited by Nolo Contendere; 09-28-2015 at 10:58 AM.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443455847.728725.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Sako AV 25-06 is one I wouldn't part with either.

The FN model 70s are the best non custom rifle being made right now IMO. I've had several. All were very good rifles. My least favorite is the featherweight.
    The Remington Model 7 is a great rifle as well and one of the best handling deer rifles I had. I've got one that's 20+ years old, that has killed more shit than cancer.
    If I was in the market fo another pure hunting rifle it would be another model 7 in 7-08 or 260.

I have an ABolt in .308. Composite Stock, which I regret, because it is Fugly, but shoots well. I dropped in a 2 lb. trigger spring for about $13.50 and topped it with a Bushnell 4200 3x9x50. I'd do it again, but with a nice piece of walnut.

Ok - I put my hands on the Tikka T3. I'm not in love with it. Seems to be a great rifle per the following but I just didn't love the plastic magazine and other plastic parts on the Hunter version (wood stock).

The Kimber is extremely light. I'm starting to lean away from it just given the mixed reviews on accuracy, extremely light weight, and poor customer service (although I don't really know why this impacts my decision greatly).

I really like the FN model 70's. I also really like the Sako 85 and the bolt that feels like butter but damn the price. I completely understand spending coin on quality but I'm a one rifle type guy that may shoot a deer every other year.

Salty - if you don't mind me asking. What is making you want to get rid of yours?

Ok - I put my hands on the Tikka T3. I'm not in love with it. Seems to be a great rifle per the following but I just didn't love the plastic magazine and other plastic parts on the Hunter version (wood stock).

The Kimber is extremely light. I'm starting to lean away from it just given the mixed reviews on accuracy, extremely light weight, and poor customer service (although I don't really know why this impacts my decision greatly).

I really like the FN model 70's. I also really like the Sako 85 and the bolt that feels like butter but damn the price. I completely understand spending coin on quality but I'm a one rifle type guy that may shoot a deer every other year.

Salty - if you don't mind me asking. What is making you want to get rid of yours?
    I'm selling it to fund a Sako Roughtech Range or a Sako 85 Long Range or a build, haven't decided yet. I have two M70 SG's one in '06 that was my dad's and this one. I wouldn't part with dad's gun, he prized that rifle. It's sell this one or a LC Smith or Fox Sterlingworth, I'd rather sell the Winchester.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I'm selling it to fund a Sako Roughtech Range or a Sako 85 Long Range or a build, haven't decided yet. I have two M70 SG's one in '06 that was my dad's and this one. I wouldn't part with dad's gun, he prized that rifle. It's sell this one or a LC Smith or Fox Sterlingworth, I'd rather sell the Winchester.
    Completely understand. Wish it was a 270 or 308 and I'd probably work with you! What's the Sterlingworth? You never know, you may need a few extra dollars to help your build!

Fox Sterlingworth.

You'd be surprised how tame that gun is with the 140grn load I have worked up for it. It's not much more than my .308 was before I switched the stock.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 09-28-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    Accurate enough and slick action.
    This ↑

You won't find a smoother, slicker action than a Tikka except for the Sako. The actions are like oiled glass-on-glass.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    This ↑

You won't find a smoother, slicker action than a Tikka except for the Sako. The actions are like oiled glass-on-glass.
    I agree. I would have bought the Sako if it weren't for the fact I needed to thread the barrel. I didn't want to hurt the resale of the gun. The Sako is 3 steps ahead of the Tikka.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

OK here is another opinion.....I like the feel, looks and quietness of a wood stocked rifle, however bedding is almost a necessity. Bedding is NOT primarily for group improvement, although it often helps considerably. It is primarily to prevent group shifting. I once had a .270 M700 ADL (Christmas present back in the 70's) that was plenty accurate enough, but that darn rifle would shift groups several inches from week to week. The groups were good, but in a different place when the weather/humidity changed. That rifle now wears a factory 25-06 barrel that shoots pretty good. It is in a pillar bedded McMillan stock. The zero hasn't changed in 10 years.

Recommendations kinda depend on what your priorities are. If looks are at the top of the list, and there is nothing really wrong with that, it would be hard to beat a M70 Featherweight, but that would not be my first choice for repeatable accuracy. Laminated stocks are heavier, but tend to be more stable than walnut from a stress delta standpoint. I would stay away from ANY standard weight or lighter barrel Ruger M77. Some shoot OK, but I would not gamble on one. I have been handloading for people since the 70's and have seen my share of the famed Ruger M77. I don't own one.

You don't need half MOA accuracy to kill deer, but you do need a rifle that does not change zero through the season. If you want decent repeatable accuracy and want a wood stock, pillar bedding is almost a necessity, so figure that into the equation.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I've posted this before...Browning A-bolts all in .30-06.

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    OK here is another opinion.....I like the feel, looks and quietness of a wood stocked rifle, however bedding is almost a necessity. Bedding is NOT primarily for group improvement, although it often helps considerably. It is primarily to prevent group shifting. I once had a .270 M700 ADL (Christmas present back in the 70's) that was plenty accurate enough, but that darn rifle would shift groups several inches from week to week. The groups were good, but in a different place when the weather/humidity changed. That rifle now wears a factory 25-06 barrel that shoots pretty good. It is in a pillar bedded McMillan stock. The zero hasn't changed in 10 years.

Recommendations kinda depend on what your priorities are. If looks are at the top of the list, and there is nothing really wrong with that, it would be hard to beat a M70 Featherweight, but that would not be my first choice for repeatable accuracy. Laminated stocks are heavier, but tend to be more stable than walnut from a stress delta standpoint. I would stay away from ANY standard weight or lighter barrel Ruger M77. Some shoot OK, but I would not gamble on one. I have been handloading for people since the 70's and have seen my share of the famed Ruger M77. I don't own one.

You don't need half MOA accuracy to kill deer, but you do need a rifle that does not change zero through the season. If you want decent repeatable accuracy and want a wood stock, pillar bedding is almost a necessity, so figure that into the equation.
    Great post. You learn something new everyday.

Completely understand. Wish it was a 270 or 308 and I'd probably work with you! What's the Sterlingworth? You never know, you may need a few extra dollars to help your build!
    Sitting over here pouting, because I reread this...... I thought you were selling a LC Smith or a Fox Sterlingworth....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Your heart ain't like your balls, ya only got one...
    All you need is a body built for discipline and a mind that can justify so much apparent self-abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by duckduckdog View Post
    Sitting over here pouting, because I reread this...... I thought you were selling a LC Smith or a Fox Sterlingworth....
    Ha..no I wouldn't be selling any of those. I have my fair share though. I was hinting to Salty that I'd be curious to know the details on his Sterlingworth but I don't think he was interested in sharing more since he opted to post his very attractive super grade for sale vs. the doubles (reread his post above mine). Can't blame him though as I'm hard pressed to even talk about my American doubles.

I recently got a Tikka t3 in 7mm-08 and it performed like I heard it would. Extremely accurate and smooth action compared to my other rifles which is a Remington 700 and Browning A-bolt. If I ever need another rifle it will most likely be another Tikka. For the price I dont think you can get a better rifle out of the box, IMO