Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer tag meetings

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    If they make it with a antler restriction what difference does it make?

There will be those who will complain due to the fact it is deer season.

Yep...nothing more nothing less.

Ask the same folks complaining if they were putting minerals out in late december early january or were the duck hunting?

Were they trimming new lanes and manipulating new food plots or were they cat fishing in Feb-March.

Were they planting food plots when all their friends had cabin fever and were off to "the whatever body" of water back in the April while the others were turkey hunting?

When it got really hot and humid during May, June, and July were you at the club replanting bean plots and or helping farmers manage deer so as to not have them whole sale slaughter any and all deer, rather than complain on the internet about said farmer killing too many deer?

If a man does all this I have no qualms with him coming in and making recommendations to kill bucks with certain qualities.

It is the individual who doesn't put forth his time and energy all year that comes in just before deer season starts and tries to mandate we all listen to THEM because that is the way it was always done that I have a huge problem with.

I'm not sure I'm in favor of anything other than the so called meetings being held in late February to March. At the least those who are genuinely concerned with the outcome will show up. Those who are just seasonal hunters will not show up.

By hosting meetings during deer season a atmosphere of hate and coventry quickly become realized.
    Rant over!
    Good thoughts here. I agree. If you're going to have a meeting on changing things, don't do it when people are busy putting time in sitting on a stand either.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Please for the love of all things good, take into account that each game zone is different in terms of habitat and deer numbers so we do not need the same restrictions for the entire State. Also, if there are going to be restrictions put in place include the depredation permit program. I believe Ruth was quoted as saying about 600 deer a year were killed because of depredation permits. If the farmers would talk to a DNR official (which they wouldn't because they would cut their own throat and I don't blame them) they could see that there are some counties that have more than 600 killed by depredation permit (imagine how many are actually killed statewide). I can not for the life of me understand why the Mountain region of our State would have the same regulations as the lowcountry. Nor can I understand why you would regulate hunters but give another group free reign. If you are going to do something, do it RIGHT.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

You sound like you are 100x more involved and whatever gets passed more than likely will not effect you.

The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit ~ Aldo Leopold
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

The recommendation was for 4 bucks tags and 4 does tags. Also, for those enrolled in the ADQP would now receive buck tags. If a person owns or lease enough land there is no limit on deer. The only people that will lose are those that kill more deer than the land they hunt can support. In the Upstate the average hunt club has less than 150 acres per hunter, 8 tags is plenty for 150 acres. For hunter wanting to kill more than 8 deer can lease or buy more land to support their take without impacting their neighbors.
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 08-25-2015 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit ~ Aldo Leopold

Like that

We are in the ADQP in our club, and I would be willing to bet that, if this passed, the president would withdraw from it and have us use our personal state-issued buck/doe tags.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Please for the love of all things good, take into account that each game zone is different in terms of habitat and deer numbers so we do not need the same restrictions for the entire State. Also, if there are going to be restrictions put in place include the depredation permit program. I believe Ruth was quoted as saying about 600 deer a year were killed because of depredation permits. If the farmers would talk to a DNR official (which they wouldn't because they would cut their own throat and I don't blame them) they could see that there are some counties that have more than 600 killed by depredation permit (imagine how many are actually killed statewide). I can not for the life of me understand why the Mountain region of our State would have the same regulations as the lowcountry. Nor can I understand why you would regulate hunters but give another group free reign. If you are going to do something, do it RIGHT.
    So mountain hunters don't travel?
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

So Sparkle, tell me what is right???
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    Please for the love of all things good, take into account that each game zone is different in terms of habitat and deer numbers so we do not need the same restrictions for the entire State.
    The recommend plan will be per property if enrolled in the ADQP. This is not managing each game zone the same. The individual tags would be used on smaller properties and clubs with low acreage per member.

How about 8 tags and no more than 4 can be does?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

All the buck tags will do is keep Jim-Bob from killing 20 bucks out of his 1/4 acre tree stand. Who just happens to be next to the guy with 1k acres and plants year round and feeds protein.

But Jim-Bo insists that those are his deer!

How will it stop Jim-bo bobby?

If he knows he only has 4 bucks he can shoot over the course of 4 months jimmy boy may be more apt to think....hmmm I better not shoot that cow horn tonight I may get a chance at a "hammer" and I don't want to waste my tags.

This will allow bucks to become more plentiful and potentially express their full potential!

why does everyone always want to make a law?

Deer populations are great everywhere I hunt. Less deer means bigger deer. Learn to hunt and you won't be worried about the neighbor so much.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    All the buck tags will do is keep Jim-Bob from killing 20 bucks out of his 1/4 acre tree stand. Who just happens to be next to the guy with 1k acres and plants year round and feeds protein.

But Jim-Bo insists that those are his deer!

How will it stop Jim-bo bobby?

If he knows he only has 4 bucks he can shoot over the course of 4 months jimmy boy may be more apt to think....hmmm I better not shoot that cow horn tonight I may get a chance at a "hammer" and I don't want to waste my tags.

This will allow bucks to become more plentiful and potentially express their full potential!
    I seriously doubt any of my neighbors work to keep their hunting rites and get ready deer season as much as my club.

I would bet if you ask any of them, they appreciate us killing every forked horn buck running in front of our dogs..

Pressure keeps the old guys elusive and on property edges, giving them a few "free deer", every year..

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    How about 8 tags and no more than 4 can be does?
    How bout, no? Ted.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

So here's where I am..

We as a club have hunted the same property since 1952 (a group with in the group hunted it since 1937).

We have a lottery on doe tags.. We raffle off 20, and 10 go to first deer, what dogs catch, etc..

We shoot forked horns running dogs, we have gone over and above everything ever asked of us and some that wasn't..

We have about 9 miles of fence up to keep our dogs in our property. We Limited dogs to 4 per person as a maximum of what you can hunt at once and although not mandatory, about 75% of the dogs have GPS collars, just in case one escapes..

We work hard all year long to kill these 1.5 yr old scrubs.. All of the properties around us practice QDMA and kill really nice deer.. We kill between 95-115 deer a year depending on drought, flood, etc..

So my gripe with this whole tag process is, what if my club adopts the DQP and they say we can only kill 50 bucks? We do everything right , and only positively affecting our neighbors and we get punished?

Kind of like gun owners being punished because some idiot shoots up a church or a school.

Then, if they say we can only kill 50 bucks, an antler restriction will ensue.. Ultimately growing big deer, but in the meantime letting questionable bucks escape death.. Which ultimately endangers our ability to keep our dogs in our fence(bucks stink more) which then ultimately puts pressure on our dog hunting rites.. Ultimately..

One more time for the road, ultimately..

So it just feels like no matter what we do or how much money we spend, we are always fighting to keep what we do alive and well..
    Last edited by PBiz; 08-25-2015 at 08:34 AM.

How many members? 4 bucks a piece would allow 100 bucks with just 25 members.

I hunt on my club and several 2-300 acre tracts around the Lowcountry..

I have killed 7 bucks in a year but normally kill 4 or5..

But I don't want a rule limiting what I kill, when I have no adverse effect on the whitetail population on my property or yours..

Just another way for them to kill dog driving once and for all.

Bigtimber2, I haven't been on here very long but from what I've gathered you are from NC correct? So where do you hunt in SC? Because unless you pay taxes in this state, or you are orginally from here what say do you have in this matter?