Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best all around shotgun

remington mossberg or benelli

I have a mossberg 500 and I payed $200 for it and its been to heck and back and never failed.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

HANDS DOWN: Remington 870!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

[img]graemlins/iagree.gif[/img] with Squatty. I have a Beretta Xtrema2 and bought it knowing that it'll shoot anything I throw in it - and it will - but it'll be hard-pressed to EVER hold up to what I have put my 870 through. I have pulled myself up on banks with it and used it for a paddle. Even ended a turkey's life w/the butt end of it.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

"Even ended a turkey's life w/the butt end of it."

You s'posed to kill'em with the other end dumass! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Best pumpgun made since the Model 12 is the Ithaca M37! I got 8 of them, one's a camo Waterfowler M37!
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Originally posted by Simple Man:
    I have a Beretta Xtrema2 and bought it knowing that it'll shoot anything I throw in it - and it will - but it'll be hard-pressed to EVER hold up to what I have put my 870 through.
    Same here Simple. This is the 1st duck season I haven't shot my 870 since I can remember. Man I miss shooting that gun. I may have to break it out very soon!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Mergie, now you ought to know that SM ain't gonna do it the easy way all the time!!! I do know one thing, he can flat make a group of teal make a left turn and come buzzing by!!!
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

If he'd stay put and quit wandering around through the trees he might would get a shot at'em himself once in a while.

Somebody needs to teach him that ya "herd" sheep, goats and cattle...not ducks! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hunting with him must be like hunting with a young'un, sounds like the boy can't stay still fer squat! [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I just now saw this. FAY!! If this is how y'all talk about me in the open, I can't imagine what y'all say via PMs. [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img]

All I'm gonna say is that sometimes you've gotta go make something happen, and this time I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Given my position, I think my chicken friend was glad I didn't pull the trigger. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Our problem yesterday was that there weren't enough of us hunting that area to keep 'em flying. Mergie, where were you?? You wanna tell everybody?? [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img]

Ya'll are all nuts...the Browning Gold is the only way to go. About the mossberg...who in the hell would want to shoot that all day at a dove hunt?
    "Truth, is treason, in the empire of lies"

no thanks on the browning gold...ill take an 870, preferably a wingmaster over any gun, any day
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

All other things held constant, try relying on a Browning Gold after it is caked w/mud, grit and grime. Although, somebody has to buy 'em or Browning won't have a reason to produce those annoying stickers...

I'm dang glad you didn't shoot when you caught up with them! Now, if you had shot as soon as they were into range, maybe they would have been head straight up for my shots, which would have been a heck of a lot easier!!! Seriously, those birds were 200 yards+ and 300 feet high when they turned & comitted to us, 3 seconds & it was over. I think SM said something about only hearing afterburners!!

Oh, on SM's recon mission he found some better cover for the next sitting. Then we'll have some serious shooting area!! Mergie you shoulda been with us, the boy hadn't slept since who knows when & it was starting to show!
    SHR T&R's Carolina Lucy Girl - Lucy
    SHR Carolina Magic's Max4Camiflage - Cami

I have had my Browning BPS's, my 870's and my Mossbergs. I would not get another BPS, each one has had something about it when working the action I had to get through. I still have my original WTF Mushberg which still kicks my ass with each shot. The 870's I have owned have been used a pushpoles and paddles and still shot ducks when they are available to shoot.

For pure guts and shootability, I'm going with the 870. Although most of my duck killin' these days is done with a Beretta AL391 Optima.

I may have to break the old 870 out this year for the sake of nostalgia.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

mossberg 875. for 300 its awesome. never jammed and w/ the limbsaver recoil pad, its not to bad on the recoil. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Whichever gun you can hit with.For me it' the Ben.SBE

Benelli M2

FRANCHI 612

Originally posted by Summer DucK:
    Benelli M2
    Smart man right there. As for the SBE & SBEII, you couldn't give me one. Love my 870 SM. Has been to hell and back, but it is just too dang heavy. My Extrema II is bad a$$ as well. BUT, my M2 is the only way to go.