Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Montana trip

If I understand what you are saying, Griff. Those of us who manage for ourselves have it pretty damned good here as Highstrung says. Those who are dependant on SCDNR to manage wildlife for them are sucking hind tit?

I've typed out a few things. I'm not calling myself completely ignorant on our government woods, but I've never hunted them. I'm not being sarcastic, I just hear arguments back and forth. I know being able to pursue wildlife in an environment that I'm made for, Chicora, where I call home suits me. Do we rank at the top of everything, probably not? Do we have enough of a variety, for me? Yes. I can't answer that question for anyone else. I guess it's perspective.

herd

and keep reading the studies on the yotes and the effect on the herd once trapped.

and get back to me.

here we go again. coyotes are NOT decimating the SC deer herd.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Yep. Everyone owes it to himself to flyfish Rock Creek and shoot mallards in Plentywood. However, I can always catch monster browns and kill mallards here at home. Try catching a flounder in the Madison or finding a proper cypress slough in eastern Montana.
    I have to agree on Rock Creek. Spent a couple wonderful days wade fishing quite a long stretch of that water.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    herd

and keep reading the studies on the yotes and the effect on the herd once trapped.

and get back to me.

here we go again. coyotes are NOT decimating the SC deer herd.
    Anyone with half a brain understands that it's the fluoride in our water that is effecting the deer herd. They drink the water, fluoride goes to the brain. Boom! Nematodes.

I dont want to live anywhere where a lake can freeze. We might not have the best fishing and the best hunting here, but you can pretty much go hunt something or catch something 365 days of the year. Them sorry fuckers up there in yankee land have to drive out on the lake and cut a hole in the ice to catch a perch for 3-4 months out of the year

And people die in the west.

And they ain't got grits or sweet tea.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Sure I agree there is a lot more to SC than just the outdoor aspect. But not a one of you can tell me I'm wrong about how hard DNR and others are fucking the outdoorsmen is this state.
    JAB is spot on when he says private land guys have it pretty damn good but everyone else is left sucking hind tit. The answer isn't to only hunt private land. The answer is to fix a broken system.
    2th what do coyotes eat? Surely they don't eat anything we hunt. Just like bad things don't happen to good people as long as they stay out of the ghetto and a CWP means you're living your life in fear.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

No and I don't buy into that. I lived here when there were 0 deer and 0 turkeys in my area. Now the place is covered up with folks wanting to shoot every deer they can get to come to a corn pile. They also want to bitch and moan because it's not the size deer or numbers of turkeys they see in the Midwest. Fact is SC is a crowded state and there are plenty here taking their share. DNR does what they can but the GA is the filter most of it has to get through, at least that's the way I see it. I figure we have it pretty good here public or private and if you can hunt here successfully you probably can elsewhere.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    No and I don't buy into that. I lived here when there were 0 deer and 0 turkeys in my area. Now the place is covered up with folks wanting to shoot every deer they can get to come to a corn pile. They also want to bitch and moan because it's not the size deer or numbers of turkeys they see in the Midwest. Fact is SC is a crowded state and there are plenty here taking their share. DNR does what they can but the GA is the filter most of it has to get through, at least that's the way I see it. I figure we have it pretty good here public or private and if you can hunt here successfully you probably can elsewhere.
    Ok deer aside. Explain the santee cooper mess and then tell me we didn't get fucked.
    Edit; and are still getting fucked.
    Last edited by Griffin; 08-12-2015 at 10:38 AM.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

I can't explain as it doesn't impact me, don't keep up with that issue. You made a broad statement in the post I responded to. I made a broad statement in response. Sure there are things that could be improved for wildlife (and outdoorsmen) here in SC. Same for any state. As bad as it seems to be for some folks I still think we have pretty darn good public access hunting and fishing in SC, directly proportionate to the effort you put forth in utilizing it. I've talked to a few folks over the years that moved here from other states who were fairly surprised at the hunting opportunity we have here. We could easily lose that in the future.

coyotes eat baby deer. and mice. and other stuff.

their impact on the sc deer herd is certainly debatable.

while we're talking about the west, they have deer AND coyotes, right?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

out west has a defined rut, not a 2-3month trickle rut. when you have fawns dropping for 2 to 3 months it's easy for coyotes to run around picking off newborns vs a majority of the fawns being dropped in a 2-3 week period. it's pretty easy to figure out really.
    rip Dakota

I can't explain as it doesn't impact me, don't keep up with that issue.
    pretty much sums it right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    pretty much sums it right there.
    I agree. I think you pick out what you don't like and overlook the rest.

I agree. I think you pick out what you don't like and overlook the rest.
    Ok I'll play this game. What am I overlooking that DNR provides. Not what can the private individual obtain?

Don't take offense. Pretty sure I wouldn't be hunting deer or turkey in the upstate without the DNR. Pretty sure I wouldn't have killed a darn nice 9 pointer at Hamilton ridge a few years ago without the DNR. Just a few things I didn't overlook I guess.

Don't take offense. Pretty sure I wouldn't be hunting deer or turkey in the upstate without the DNR. Pretty sure I wouldn't have killed a darn nice 9 pointer at Hamilton ridge a few years ago without the DNR. Just a few things I didn't overlook I guess.
    I a public land hunting mofo and have killed a truck load of stuff on it but you are giving DNR way to much credit. To each their own

Well I can tell you this for certain, if I thought SC sucked so bad I'd have already moved. There's a viewpoint.