Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sparkleberry RR

I guess you didn't read the thread there genius... You belong in the retriever forum.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

DT--as I stated, its NOT ABOUT THE FLAG. So dont ask me any more stupid questions about it.

I treat plenty of black patients....and, quite honestly, I ask EVERY ONE about the flag. I do not hide behind my skin color....nor do they. I HAVE NOTHING TO APOLOGIZE FOR. I think its quite possible to have a conversation about it without manufactured emotions becoming involved.

Its interesting, actually, how many people I talk to in a given day that really want some type of "government reform." Its interesting how many people see that state and federal governments have intruded on our lives in such a way that it will be extremely challenging to turn it around. For the first time in my life, I am truly concerned about the path ahead. The "flag issue" is just another example of politics becoming more about emotion and "political correctness" and less about what their role SHOULD BE.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    If it is true Most blacks and half of whites in his district wanted the flag down would yall just shut up about it. Good lord....go
    Find something that can actually be changed to complain about
    He says this now until they force change on him that he disagrees with or affects his life. If you don't think for a second this can't be changed just lay down and surrender but don't impede on those that do ! Drive down the road with a cup of coffee between your legs or in your cup holder for that matter and you will see all this "complaining" IS NOT JUST ABOUT THE FLAG !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    You voted how you wanted. You didn't vote how your constituents or the rest of the state wanted. We didn't get a vote. That is one of the biggest issues I have with you and the others in Columbia. You vote for what you want. I'm not saying you are in somebodies pocket but I'm sure some of the others in Columbia are. How does it separate you from them if the people don't a chance to exercise their vote?

The very least you can do is stand up and say that we serve the people of this state and it is their right to make a decision on this. You might get the stink eye from your fellow politicians but it would have been the right thing to do. Might have been a losing battle but it was the right thing to do.
    Reps. PITTS, TAYLOR, TOOLE and PUTNAM proposed the following Amendment No. 33 to S. 897 (COUNCIL\NL\897C005. NL.SD15), which was tabled:
    Amend the bill, as and if amended, by striking all after the enacting words and inserting:
    / SECTION 1. (A) A statewide advisory referendum must be conducted by the State Election Commission at the same time as the 2016 general election on the question of whether or not the South Carolina Infantry Battle Flag of the Confederate States of America should be removed from its location at the Confederate Soldier Monument on the grounds of the State Capitol Complex. The state election laws shall apply to the referendum, mutatis mutandis. The State Board of Canvassers shall publish the results of the referendum and certify them to the Governor and each house of the General Assembly.

(B) Ballots must be provided to all qualified electors participating in the referendum with the following question printed thereon:

"Do you favor removing the South Carolina Infantry Battle Flag of the Confederate States of America from its location at the Confederate Soldier Monument on the grounds of the State Capitol Complex?

Yes []
    No []
    Those voting in favor of the question shall deposit a ballot with a check or cross mark in the square after the word 'Yes', and those voting against the question shall deposit a ballot with a check or cross mark in the square after the word 'No'."
    (C) The cost of the referendum must be paid from funds appropriated to the State Election Commission and the results of the referendum are advisory only.
    SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor. /
    Renumber sections to conform.
    Amend title to conform.

Rep. PITTS explained the amendment.
    Rep. J. E. SMITH spoke against the amendment.
    Rep. CORLEY spoke in favor of the amendment.
    Rep. CORLEY spoke in favor of the amendment.

SPEAKER PRO TEMPORE IN CHAIR
    Rep. CORLEY continued speaking.
    Rep. HILL spoke in favor of the amendment.
    Rep. HILL spoke in favor of the amendment.
    Rep. CLARY spoke against the amendment.

Rep. CLARY moved to table the amendment.

Rep. J. E. SMITH demanded the yeas and nays which were taken, resulting as follows:

Yeas 71; Nays 48
    Those who voted in the affirmative are:
    Alexander Anderson Anthony
    Atwater Bales Ballentine
    Bamberg Bannister Bernstein
    Bingham Bowers Bradley
    Brannon G. A. Brown R. L. Brown
    Clary ******* Cobb-Hunter
    Cole Dillard Douglas
    Erickson Felder Finlay
    Funderburk George Gilliard
    Govan Hamilton Hart
    Hayes Henderson Henegan
    Herbkersman Hicks Hodges
    Horne Hosey Howard
    Huggins Jefferson King
    Kirby Knight Lucas
    Mack McCoy McEachern
    McKnight M. S. McLeod W. J. McLeod
    Mitchell Murphy Neal
    Newton Norman Norrell
    Ott Parks Ridgeway
    Rivers Robinson-Simpson Rutherford
    J. E. Smith Sottile Stavrinakis
    Tallon Tinkler Weeks
    Whipper Williams
    Total--71
    Those who voted in the negative are:
    Allison Bedingfield Burns
    Chumley Clemmons Corley
    H. A. Crawford Crosby Daning
    Delleney Duckworth Forrester
    Gagnon Gambrell Goldfinch
    Hardee Hill Johnson
    Jordan Kennedy Limehouse
    Loftis Long Lowe
    Merrill D. C. Moss V. S. Moss
    Nanney Pitts Pope
    Quinn Riley Ryhal
    Sandifer Simrill G. M. Smith
    G. R. Smith Southard Spires
    Stringer Taylor Thayer
    Toole Wells White
    Whitmire Willis Yow
    Total--48
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    I guess you didn't read the thread there genius... You belong in the retriever forum.
    No I didn't bc there are ten threads with the same ppl saying the same things on repeat

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    DT--as I stated, its NOT ABOUT THE FLAG. So dont ask me any more stupid questions about it.

I treat plenty of black patients....and, quite honestly, I ask EVERY ONE about the flag. I do not hide behind my skin color....nor do they. I HAVE NOTHING TO APOLOGIZE FOR. I think its quite possible to have a conversation about it without manufactured emotions becoming involved.

Its interesting, actually, how many people I talk to in a given day that really want some type of "government reform." Its interesting how many people see that state and federal governments have intruded on our lives in such a way that it will be extremely challenging to turn it around. For the first time in my life, I am truly concerned about the path ahead. The "flag issue" is just another example of politics becoming more about emotion and "political correctness" and less about what their role SHOULD BE.
    Great post. I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Toof, looks like you may get change after all.
    An Upstate businessman says he’s running in the GOP primary next year to unseat state Sen. Lee Bright, one of the Senate’s most outspoken Republicans known for blocking legislation and criticizing his own party.

Filing is not until March, but David McCraw of Greer announced his plans Monday to run for the District 12 state Senate seat representing parts of Greenville and Spartanburg counties.

McCraw, 48, said he wants to run because he is frustrated with politicians’ “failure to do simple things to make it easier for those of us out here working hard and creating jobs.”

Criticizing Bright, 45, for doing “an awful lot of talking, but very little doing,” McCraw said the General Assembly accomplished very little during this legislative session.

“Partisan bickering and an attitude of self-promotion and political grandstanding instead of cooperation means that we still do not have a plan to improve our roads; it means that you will not see any decrease in your tax bills this year; and it means another year will go by without any real ethics reform,” he said. “We deserve better from our elected officials.”

Bright did not immediately return a request for comment Monday.

A staunch opponent of abortion and gun laws, Bright, who lists transportation as his profession, is known for breaking with his party and filibustering legislation that he does not support. Bright also was one of three senators to vote against removing the Confederate flag from the State House grounds.

McCraw owns a marketing and financial planning businesses as well as a restaurant and roofing company.

He contributed $500 to kick start his campaign, according to state campaign finance records.

Bright has been raising money for a potential re-election bid and has about $33,000 on hand, according to his most recent campaign report.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/politic...#storylink=cpy
    I tell you what Lee Bright did. He didnt fold like a cheap suit when the liberals tried to push their progressive agenda by exploiting this tragedy. He stood strong and now you and your cronies in the GA are bastardizing this man. He was one of only a few with the balls to stand up against this.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

― Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    ...They need smart workers and our schools are not producing them.
    This your only point I disagree with. Are the schools perfect?... Far from it. But it's hard to blame the schools for SC's lack of educated workers. I think it's the parents' part to inspire their kids to learn. Many cases that's not happening because the parents are uneducated themselves.

You can't teach someone who doesn't want to learn. The education is there for the taking, but many students could care less about absorbing it. I know because I was one of those kids. I didn't care about education AT ALL til my 30's when I decided to finish college.

Sometimes I think many people in SC would rather be uneducated. Then they can still stick their hand out and someone will fill it. It's pure laziness. That is not a SC problem. It's time for some personal accountability.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I do see the big picture. No one wants to be told to do anything, especially from the liberal media.

In the life of a representative, things come at you in the form of a vote. We must have voted 40 times that day. We had delay votes, deferral votes, alternative votes, compromise votes and in the end a moral vote.

There is no end to political correctness, to the offended, to racism and no vote will change that. I am not interested in changing your mind. I am interested in keeping SC a good place to live and attractive to jobs.

Some have said the flag wasn't hurting anyone. I disagree.

Some have said the flag did not prevent industry from coming. Well if Dylan had gotten his way, if the families had not forgiven, if Charleston had burned, it would have. Hate put the flag up but love took it down.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningWoody View Post
    I tell you what Lee Bright did. He didnt fold like a cheap suit when the liberals tried to push their progressive agenda by exploiting this tragedy. He stood strong and now you and your cronies in the GA are bastardizing this man. He was one of only a few with the balls to stand up against this.
    I did not say a negative word about Lee. I reported a news story.

Several said they wanted the whole legislature overturned, well, here is an example of how it starts. Someone with the guts to try.

Everyone wants term limits except for their guy. Bright exploited the issue also by selling rebel flag bump stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Everyone wants term limits except for their guy. Bright exploited the issue also by selling rebel flag bump stickers.
    As much as I like Lee I still would support term limits. Let them get their term in and then let someone else give it a shot with new ideas and a new way of thinking.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

― Norman Maclean

DT, how much influence did the RNC have over this with our early presidential primary?

I never heard from them but that does not mean they did not call leadership.

This entire conversation is a loser for a republican. Making 50% of your base mad is never good.

I have voted for term limits every time it has come up. All of my first 4 terms. It passed the house each time.

The Senate has not debated it once that I know of.

I never heard from them but that does not mean they did not call leadership.
    If we lost the early primary, our only national relevance would be that our two US Senators can now get married.

If you were a Senator, what could you blame the House for?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Making 50% of your base mad is never good.
    Yet you voted on your ideals, not those ideals of the +50% you represent. Interesting.

Were not those who fought in the fight (Civil War) declared war veterens? So, they can, and were, paid a pension for there war service but not good enough for a flag at THEIR memorial?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

DT here is a thought. Conduct one of your polls to determine the percentage of people on this website who feel you handled the flag issue correctly. In fact, conduct a poll of your constituents to see if they think y'all handled the flag issue in the best manner. Do so without putting your spin on it that they wanted it down, we didn't have the votes, it would happen eventually, etc. Concentrate on the simple fact of HOW AND WHEN IT WAS HANDLED.

I have noticed over the many long years of perusing SCDucks that when someone posts something wrong that many people will correct them. When someone posts something stupid, many people will point it out. When someone is getting bashed or hammered for the WRONG reasons, many people will defend them. When someone is correct/morally sound/scientifically accurate but not POPULAR with a post, many will point out these characteristics and defend them. I have not seen much defending yet have seen a lot of bashing and discontent involving your posts over the last few weeks. At what point do you sit back and give thought to the fact that you may be wrong?
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkleberry Ridge Runner View Post
    DT here is a thought. Conduct one of your polls to determine the percentage of people on this website who feel you handled the flag issue correctly. In fact, conduct a poll of your constituents to see if they think y'all handled the flag issue in the best manner. Do so without putting your spin on it that they wanted it down, we didn't have the votes, it would happen eventually, etc. Concentrate on the simple fact of HOW AND WHEN IT WAS HANDLED.

I have noticed over the many long years of perusing SCDucks that when someone posts something wrong that many people will correct them. When someone posts something stupid, many people will point it out. When someone is getting bashed or hammered for the WRONG reasons, many people will defend them. When someone is correct/morally sound/scientifically accurate but not POPULAR with a post, many will point out these characteristics and defend them. I have not seen much defending yet have seen a lot of bashing and discontent involving your posts over the last few weeks. At what point do you sit back and give thought to the fact that you may be wrong?
    There are many who do not want to be bullied so they do not post. I hear from them through private emails and messages.

You in fact have the minority position on the flag.

What nearly every southern republican believes is our country is going down the tubes and selling out to political correctness is surrender all over again. I concur.