Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **HELP**Bucket tomatoes

Default **HELP**Bucket tomatoes

Need some help. I planted three buckets back in the spring and they haven't really produced. They're growing fruit but it's not healthy and the tomatoes split usually before they turn red. I drilled 4 holes in the bottom for drainage (maybe too many or too big), filled with miracle grow plant soil, and a couple weeks ago added some mushroom compost to the top. I've been using miracle grow plant food also. Im thinking of dumping these and planting another group.

What advice do yall have for the second go round?
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Sounds like the buckets aren't draining like they should. They normally split when the plant is getting too much water.

I told you they needed 10 gallons of soil....

Never had much luck with buckets. Hard to keep them watered and they pretty much fill it with roots which makes me think they need more room. But they need drainage. Agree with overwatered. Probably need more holes. I think Miracle Grow soil isn't always a good idea. I get big growth but late fruit set with it and always get some early end rot and catfacing. Not sure if the MG soil has so much nitrogen that causes the plants to focus on growing, not fruit. Maybe that it is blocking the calcium uptake for fruit development. Or maybe my dumbass needs to put lime out before I see end rot. Probably the latter.

Basically ignore any percieved advice I may have given you.

Not to hijack, but can you over-lime a tomato plant?

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    I told you they needed 10 gallons of soil....
    I am growing nice Cherokee purples in 5 gallon buckets

been eating them for a month now
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    I am growing nice Cherokee purples in 5 gallon buckets

been eating them for a month now
    Any tips on what you're doing?
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

drilling plenty of holes in bottom
    reg potting soil
    mixed in slow release fert
    water every other day unless it rains
    not in set in full sun
    Last edited by GBelly; 07-03-2015 at 07:54 AM.

Default **HELP**Bucket tomatoes

Tomatoes require full sun, 6+ hours per day. This does not mean they have to be in peak sun for the entire six hours. If you can place them in a spot where you get a mix of morning and afternoon sun, that is best.

What brand of potting mix did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Hosscat; 07-03-2015 at 08:42 AM.

MIracle grow plant soil. It doesn't hold moisture at all, very porous.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

- Rhett Butler

I don't remember the brand... Middle of the road avg pot soil. Mine get a mix of sun for 8-10 hours. Not in full for more than 4 hours

HAve 5 more at another location in 3.5 gallons containers that are also doing good.

Supplement with 1 tsp. Epsom salts per bucket and add some organic matter to the soil mix to help with the water holding capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding Calcium will help. Check the MG label to see if there is any Calcium in your fertilizer, if so, its probably not much.
    Gypsum, lime and Calcium Nitrate are all good forms of calcium, also most garden stores carry some diluted liquid varieties of calcium. Unfortunately lime and gypsum take a few weeks before they are available to the plant.

Are your buckets sitting flat on the ground? If so you may have clogged holes that are not allowing them drain properly. You may have dry soil near the top of the bucket and soup at the bottom. Experiment with elevating one bucket with rocks to get the bottom of the bucket where the drain holes are off of the ground. This may let the planter drain more evenly and increase fruit growth.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    Not to hijack, but can you over-lime a tomato plant?
    I am sure it is possible but I haven't done it yet and I use a good bit of lime. A double handful goes in the bottom of each hole (stirred in) when I plant them. Since doing this I have not had a single tomato with blossom end rot.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    I am sure it is possible but I haven't done it yet and I use a good bit of lime. A double handful goes in the bottom of each hole (stirred in) when I plant them. Since doing this I have not had a single tomato with blossom end rot.
    I have gone one step further and dusted the entire plant with no adverse effect.
    I planted Marion's, I believe someone here recommended them. Best tasting and producing tomatoes I have found yet. Averaging 100 pounds every other day from 30 plants.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    I'll have to remember this when I plant next year. I'll be throwing more down when I get off work tonight then.

I don't have any blossom end rot. My problem is coming from the tomatoes splitting.
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

- Rhett Butler

This seems like a dumb question but I'll ask it any way. How do you water your bucket tomatoes and how do you know when you've watered enough?
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer

- Rhett Butler