Thread: Remington Model 7400 30.06

Do any of you out there in SC Ducks Land have this gun or any info(good or bad) about it. I have a guy at work here that has one for sale at what seems like a good price. I have never owned a semi auto rifle and dont know a whole lot about em. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

They are not very accurate and have horrible triggers. It would be a nice woods gun...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Do you think it's worth $400? It looks like it is brand new and it is hard to tell if the gun has ever had a round thru it. And it also has a cheap bushnell scope on it. Whatcha think?

Personally, I'd steer clear. S&A kind of nailed it.

In .308 Winchester, they have a better reputation.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

guess it depends on how many shots you need...I only need one, bolt action is so more accurate, I have hunted with a h&r single shot break barrrel 270 the last two seasons, its a tack driver, and only cost about 300 bucks.
    Please change the limit to three ducks. Thank you, jeff

I shot the pump version of this gun for years in 3006 and never had any accuracy complaints,quite the contrary it often cloverleafed shots from a rest at 100 yds.The trigger in these guns is basicly the trigger from a model 870 shotgun and cannot be adjusted,ever,period.You get suprisingly used to very heavy with lots of creep......
    There is a whole world of guns out there in the $400 range to choose from and I personally would not start here.
    Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

$400.00 is high for one of these. The concensus is that like the 742's that preceded them they are bad about being unreliable.If you do buy it- keep it spotless internally, buy GOOD scope bases and rings.

On the contrary, the 760/76/7600 series are very reliable and capable of excellent accuracy with minimal tuning.

I have owned two- one in .270 with wood stock and for the last four years a synthetic stocked 7600 in .308 They are handy rifles.

I have shot the hell out of a bunch of deer with them.

The trigger can be improved- mine breaks cleanly at 3 Lbs..... Al Dichiara in Jackson worked the gun and it is a shooting SOB.

My next rifle purchase will be a 7600 in 35 Whelen- for hogs.

Nutz, beat him down to $300.00
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I wouldn't worry about beating him down. After reading these post I would just forget about the damn thing and get me a gun that does what it is suppose to do....SHOOT!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

You asked so here goes.....I love Remington bolt action rifles. IMHO, they are or can be made into the most accurate mass produced factory actioned rifle (except for a few Savages.....Rugers need not apply). HOWEVER the 742's and 7400's are the biggest piece of rifle crap ever put out by any American gun manufacturer.

Back in the early 70's a couple of my friends and I were some of the first folks that hunted with rifles in our part of the country. Back then, hunting with a rifle was looked upon as a novelty. I wish that I had a nickle for every time I heard an old timer say "boy it is too flat around here to hunt with that thing. A rifle is made for the mountains". After a few years, interest in hunting with a rifle caught on, but most folks didn't really know much about them, so when they started out guess who they asked for help???? Unfortunately, most folks tried to apply what worked well in shotguns to rifles. In other words most of them started out with a semi-auto rifle thinking that they needed extra shots like you need with buckshot. Most of the rifles were model 742's chambered in 30-06. My friends and I sighted in more rifles for these folks than I can remember. Most of these rifles were doing good to keep all the shots in a pie plate at 100 yards. A few shot decent and one of them, a 270 owned by my best friend would consistently shoot around an inch. I never saw another that would even approach this on a consistent basis. Oddly enough the sister rifle to the model 742, the model 760 usually shot pretty darn good, but few people wanted them. Everybody wanted an "automatic". The life cycle for the model 742 seemed to be about 2-3 years. By then folks realized that a bolt action was the more efficient tool.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Wow! I'm glad I asked. lol Thanks for all of the great info, fellas. I'm still in the market for a new rifle, so I will be askin plenty more questions. Thanks.

I'm goona go against the grain here and stand up for the 7400. I have a 742 30/06 that is probably 40 years old and its still shoots excelent. Only thing ever had to fix was the ejector a couple of years ago. It has probably 5000 rounds through it and is capable of 1.25" groups at 100yrds.
    I also have a 7400 in 243. I love the caliber and for hunting purposes its never let me down. Had to replace the ejector in it also but I bought this gun used so don't know much about its history. I have put about 300 rounds through it and its held up.
    Take reasonable care of these guns and they will last.Keep them clean and oiled, I clean mine about once a year and spray it with gun lube a couple of times a year.
    These guns aren't meant to go to the range and shoot 100rounds a day but for treestand hunting it will serve your needs. I have never used either of these guns up north in below freezing weather so they probably are not as reliable in that scenario. The 06 was used while dog hunting for 25 years and bounced around in the trucks and basically abused but never failed. The 7400 is not quite as well built in my opinion as the 742 but still a decent gun.
    Hunting,Fishing and FSU football

Nutz... Let me know if you need to borrow one until you decide on your new one.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I have the pump version in 30-06 and have no accuracy problems with it. The biggest problem that I can see and everyone agrees on is the trigger. I have heard of gunsmiths reworking the trigger and improving this (I think that they remove a coil from the spring, or so I was told)but I haven't had it done yet. With handloaded balistic tips, I can average 1.5" groups at 100 yds. With a smoother trigger, I feel that I could do a little better.My brother had a .270 in the semi-auto configuration and you would be lucky to keep this gun on a paper plate at 100-yds. I looked at the mounts, scope,screws, bore, etc and could find no obvious problems, but the gun just didn't shoot worth a crap.It was a shame, because it was a nice looking gun.

I'm with you 10Gauge. I have always wanted a pump .270. I'll get one when I find one that looks like it is 40 years old.
    Will Rogers

Thanks for the generous offer, Sasha.

Nitro,the 35 whelen ain't too shabby in the 7600 One gets to go moosing once in a while.Great backup gun,no problem with accuracy(I just prefer to use the 300wbymag cause it goes boom louder).The 760 I had in 270 was one I'd keep for life too,but it got stole.As to the 30/06 742.It comes outta the case once in a while for a oil and shining after all it was Grandads ya know.It'll probably end up a keepsake,POA seems to move faster than I can.Kinda cool rattlin off a bunch of shots that fast mindya,but it's kinda handy to know where theys goin.Nutz look for a pump.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Nutz, sort of had a friend pawn one with me f$350 several years ago. I shot my first deer with a 7400 in the carbine(short) version, I would really like to find another one like this but all teh ones I have seen are full length including the one I held for a friend, it also had a bushnell on it..... I would say duckman is right, with that scope, even in perfect shape $300.

Unless you can find that elusive short barrelled gun, that is one hell of a less than 100yrds wood gun. And it will pump them out as fast as you can pull the trigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.