Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $200 Pliers?

Default $200 Pliers?

Just curious here --

What's up with the insanely expensive pliers I see out there in the fishing world? Are they similar to Benchmade, Yeti, and things of the like? You know -- something else does the job just fine, but those that are ten-fold in price do it a tad better, but with much more style/class?

I mean, really...who buys these things? If I went out on a 60' sportfisher, would they likely have $200 pliers, or would I find a good ole classic pair from Walmart?

I'm not considering them. I don't have "plier envy". I'm just wondering.

Don't you buy fancy shorts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Don't you buy fancy shorts?
    I buy all sorts of nonsensical fancy shit. However, I ain't bitin' on $200 pliers.

Some people Van Staal, and some people dont Van Staal.

Dismissed.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Say what you want, my Yeti cooler has been keeping ice for 3 days in this heat! That's with the cooler in the back seat of my truck and me going into it several time per day. Folks with the Walmart brand has been getting a bag a day. As far as pliers go, Klein makes the best pair of side cutters (pliers). Add salt water and the titanium and stainless steel alloys separate themselves just like the Yeti cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Krasko View Post
    Say what you want, my Yeti...
    I'm not dissin' nice things by any means. I've got a Yeti; and three tumblers, and the coozie. I guess I can see where you're going about them holding up to the elements. I have a few pairs of $25ish pliers, and I've abused them and they're somewhat of a biohazard due to my neglect. I guess buying a handful of those would get kinda old (and expensive) after a while.

When you have an $800 reel, $1,000 rod, and are paying $700 a day to chase Permit, you gotta have $200 pliers.

Salt water is corrosive as hell. Rather than spend several hundred dollars on those exotic alloys, get you the size you like and store them in a zip lock baggy of oil. The money you save you can buy more beverages or fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Krasko View Post
    Salt water is corrosive as hell. Rather than spend several hundred dollars on those exotic alloys, get you the size you like and store them in a zip lock baggy of oil. The money you save you can buy more beverages or fuel.
    I just leave them mounted in the holder on the side of the console. I bitch like hell when they start to look like shit.

They're Boone brand. Good angle, nice return spring, rusty as hell.

Gerber multi tool.
    Lil oil from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by jay12clay View Post
    Gerber multi tool.
    Lil oil from time to time.
    In the boat? For the main fishing pliers? Umm...I don't think so. I like my long-handled, angled pliers.

Last edited by USMCsilver; 06-26-2015 at 07:17 PM.

Plier Life
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Tangential story about fishing pliers: I've had this pair of needle nose pliers in my table box since I was a boy that belonged to my maternal grandfather. He died from cancer about a year before I was born. Everyone tells me that I favor him strongly, and that he was one of the kindest men to ever walk the earth. Naturally, I was very attached to them. Anyways, I was brimpin on a blackwater pond with my best buddy up here. Not two minutes after I told him that very story about my granddaddy and the pliers, he boats a titty that swallowed the hook. Against my better judgement, I handed him the pliers and told him to be careful. He secured them, I released, he fumbled, and they went into the drink never to be seen again. He will never live that down.

Funny thing is that my Dad loaned me a bunch of Navy tools from WWII today and they're in great shape 75 years later. I think they call it oil and care.
    Last edited by MediaGuy; 06-26-2015 at 07:59 PM.

Yeah, I get that.

I know, a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Get yourself a pair of decent pliers, send them off to http://black-t.com/ and have them coated. BOOM you have yourself a pair of pliers that will be just as good for a lot less than $200. That Black T coating is what the FBI was using on their weapons at one time and has had numerous tests in saltwater (500-1500 hours) with no effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Plier Life

Ha. You won't get a sticker made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr Slicks if you even want a designated pair.. I just carry a stainless pocket knife and a hook out.
    Genesis 9;2

Buy a nice pair of pliers and you will understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Buy a nice pair of pliers and you will understand.
    This. If you use them everyday and have to cut braid they are worth every penny. Just make sure they are attached to you.
    Let's Fish www.carolinaaeromarine.com Or dip something www.tntcustomcamo.com

*yes, Capt Toms yankee ass did show me a new trick in my own backyard*-- CYPRESNEAK