Thread: Rand Paul and the Patriot Act stuff

Default Rand Paul and the Patriot Act stuff

school me.

I understand the need for some levels of "cyber-snooping" but I am certainly against most government intrusion.

Its easy to say "its a scary time. we are at war. ISIS is bad" etc etc...

but does that trump individual freedom that is kind of a big deal in this country?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I say throw it out all together or start bring up hard proof that it actually works and even then I would still prefer the government to stay out. The govt agencies will still do it anyways but by not getting a free pass they may think twice about who and when they intrude into people's and companies private lives.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

― Norman Maclean

I am against it...but when the head of the CIA is on TV and says we shouldnt drop the Patriot Act, I get a bit concerned. He certainly knows more than I do about the benefits.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningWoody View Post
    I say throw it out all together or start bring up hard proof that it actually works and even then I would still prefer the government to stay out. The govt agencies will still do it anyways but by not getting a free pass they may think twice about who and when they intrude into people's and companies private lives.
    So then they will contract it out instead.

It's not going away.

Once they get an inch they are not going to give it up. Ol Flimsy is out there beating the drum to keep it so you know it can't be good.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

FBI admits Patriot Act powers didn't help solve any big terror cases

In a report released by the Department of Justice (DOJ) on Thursday, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) admits that the mass surveillance capabilities authorized by Section 215 of the Patriot Act have not helped solve any big terrorism cases. "The agents we interviewed did not identify any major case developments that resulted from use of the records obtained in response to Section 215 orders," said DOJ Inspector General Michael E. Horowitz.

The report also reveals that the FBI expanded the scope of surveillance it deemed acceptable under Section 215, investigating "groups comprised of unknown members and [obtaining] information in bulk concerning persons who are not the subjects of or associated with any FBI investigation."

This news comes as the Senate considers whether to renew, modify, or nix Section 215, which along with a few other provisions of the Patriot Act is set to expire on June 1.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    It's not going away.

Once they get an inch they are not going to give it up. Ol Flimsy is out there beating the drum to keep it so you know it can't be good.
    Unfortunately you are probably right.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

― Norman Maclean

Didn't stop the beheading of the Oklahoma woman, didn't stop the Boston Marathon, didn't stop the Garland guys from trying to wipe out a colliseum full of innoncents it did create a lot of panderings towards and against right wing conservative individuals and their businesses.

Get rid of it and now, its illegal and its unconstitutional.
    Genesis 9;2

Besides whats the use of having the Patriot act when O is just turning those known to be high level terrorist operatives loose anytime he has a whim?
    Genesis 9;2

They will do it regardless of if the patriot act exists or not. You can't control or audit a secret, especially when the secret has access to all of the skeletons of those that would try to control it.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Bet he's having second thoughts.

Dennis Hastert Pushed For The Patriot Act That Led To His Indictment

http://truthinmedia.com/dennis-haste...is-indictment/
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Warrant less searches were what got us into the revolutionary war and then warrant less searches were legalized with the "patriot act". Right now republicans are having to choose whether they stand up for the constitution like they always proclaim or if they want to promote this "radical" idea of Liberty that Rand is putting forth.

He is the only republican candidate that supported this. Walker, Cruz, all of the republican darlings have no problem with these warrantless searches. So in the months ahead when we have a primary and I hear anyone support a candidate that did not support Rand in this effort, they are essentially Lindsay Graham supporters in my book.

I am for the government to stay out of our lives, but there is more to it than that. My cousin has worked for the CIA, FBI, and currently works for SoCom. She tried to explain some of the laws to me, but it didn't make sense. I did comprehend that before the Patriot Act, the government agencies were not allowed to get certain information from the civilian agencies. I personally don't feel the positives outweigh the negatives. I don't feel we should sacrifice freedom for a sense of safety.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Benjamin Franklin
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Strick9 View Post
    Didn't stop the beheading of the Oklahoma woman, didn't stop the Boston Marathon, didn't stop the Garland guys from trying to wipe out a colliseum full of innoncents it did create a lot of panderings towards and against right wing conservative individuals and their businesses.

Get rid of it and now, its illegal and its unconstitutional.
    You forgot about Timothy McVeigh, Maj. Nidal Hassan or the muzzy and his son that went sniping up north several years back. It hasn't stopped anything, it's just a "legal" data mining operation for the .gov.

It doesn't have anything to do with combatting terrorism, it's been going on since the dial tone days and will continue even though the Patriot Act has expired. The fact that it was past in the first place just shows the the .gov openly doesn't give a fuck about the constitution or the BOR anymore and is openly giving the finger to the American people.

The fourth amendment is gone, the second is given lip service by the repukes just to get voters to the polls and the first is tenuous at best. Free speech zones my ass with active calls for more restriction on speech. Try to 'peaceably assemble' without the proper permits and see how far you get and if you think we actually have a free press; your probably living under a rock.
    Last edited by Kwacker2; 06-02-2015 at 11:54 PM.