Thread: 1986 rem 7400,,perfect deer rifle! ok what round ?

ok guys newbie here to the site,,i read the posts about the 7400 and i am worried now,,,lol,,i live in new york and the weather here in syracuse in horrible in winter and peak rut, i just got a 1986 30-06 7400 in mint cond for 250 bucs,,i had to buy it for our northern zone season,, my longest shot will be 250 at the most ,the guy said he cycled 165 federal prems thru it with very good groups and no hang ups.what other loads should i try? i put a leopold 2x7x 33 on it with detach mount. thank you dave

First of all, welcome to SCDUCKS. [img]graemlins/flipa.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/fu2.gif[/img]

Now that we have all the pleasantries out of the way... The 165's will do fine as will the 150's. Try a few different types of shells and see what your gun likes to pattern. Oh, when buying a used gun, clean it THOUOUGHLY. Pretend like the barrel has never been cleaned... it may not have been. For what you are going to do with it, you should have a fine woods gun.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Originally posted by dafooge:
    ok guys newbie here to the site,,i read the posts about the 7400 and i am worried now,,,lol,,i live in new york and the weather here in syracuse in horrible in winter and peak rut, i just got a 1986 30-06 7400 in mint cond for 250 bucs,,i had to buy it for our northern zone season,, my longest shot will be 250 at the most ,the guy said he cycled 165 federal prems thru it with very good groups and no hang ups.what other loads should i try? i put a leopold 2x7x 33 on it with detach mount. thank you dave

welcome... [img]graemlins/fu.gif[/img]

we have to give you shit for at least 10 posts before we answer your question....

but, why would you want to change from the 165gr when the gun obviously likes it? you can always go with a heavier grain, but why bother?

i thought liverpool was in europe somewhere...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Welcome aboard, Yank.

Even though the deer are larger up there in Snow Bunny Land, I'd stick with the 165's. 180's can sometimes fail to expand enough on game smaller than elk.

Remington Core-Loks are usually surprisingly accurate, as are Federal loads with Nosler Partition or Federal Sierra Game King bullets.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Make sure that you shoot it at 250 yards to see what it will do. Adjust your expectations accordingly! I will be surprized if it will hold zero and CONSISTENTLY shoot inside 3 inches at 100 yards. If it does, you are lucky. Some will, most won't.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

well,,thanks for the advise and a lil ribbin,,"you southern boys luv ribs",,,,lol,i shot the 7400 and i am glad to say it holds a desent group at 100 yds,, no jambs and it cycles fine.it aint match grade shooting but it will sure thump one of these big northern bucks that always try haulin ass across the cornfield,,,thanks again guys,,, dafooge