Thread: 843/845 area code & 10 digit dialing

Default 843/854 area code & 10 digit dialing

http://offer.frontier.com/SCoverlay

Not sure if you guys have heard but for the folks in the 843 area code we are running out of phone numbers. So the FCC decided to add the 854 area code with a go live date of October 19th. This will you to have to dial all 10 digits to make a local call from a land line phone. For business with phone systems, this could pose a serious issue.

Many existing phone systems may only send 7 digits out to the phone switch in the providers facility resulting in the inability to place a local call.

The 10 digit dialing trial period has already begun. To test your phones dial a nearby landline telephone number from your 843 area code landline. Use all 10 digits. It is a local call and the 1 up front is not necessary.

If you get a funny recording, your phones may not be compatible. If you do hear the recording, contact me and we'll talk about your options.

Miles Altman 803-305-8266
    miles.altman@ftr.com
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-08-2015 at 10:41 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Crazy, when I was growing up in Summerville and when I went to college at Clemson, the whole state was 803.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by HartClemson99 View Post
    Crazy, when I was growing up in Summerville and when I went to college at Clemson, the whole state was 803.
    Dang your old....LOL

I'm gonna be pissed if I have to change numbers. new literature, new billboards, new numbers on truck, etc.

Could get expensive for businesses.
    Windows Down!

I would think that if this is true, it would only be for new lines, not existing. And I too remember when the whole state was 803.

Ray, should only apply to new numbers I would think.

We been dialing area code plus the other seven for years now,really sucked when we had rotary phones
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by HARV View Post
    We been dialing area code plus the other seven for years now,really sucked when we had rotary phones
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8CVbku6nxhU"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8CVbku6nxhU[/ame]

Sheeeittt, I remember when party lines were the norm and I could listen to the ol church ladies yacking all damn day on the phone.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Heck, I'm not that old and I remember dialing 5 digits to make a local call.

I remember party lines, dang I feel old

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    I'm gonna be pissed if I have to change numbers. new literature, new billboards, new numbers on truck, etc.

Could get expensive for businesses.
    Our Ohio imports are gobbling up all the numbers.

Those changes you mentioned won't be necessary. The reason for adding the 854 area code is to keep business owners from having to change their marketing stuff, mailers, advertisements, stationary, etc. The 854 will be for newly issued numbers only. Existing 843 numbers will stay just as they are.

Although this may cause some businesses to either spend money paying a technician to reprogram their phones to comply with the 10 digit dialing, or better yet put that capital towards newer technology that would increase efficiency.

That's where I come in. I can help with either option.
    Last edited by willyworm; 05-07-2015 at 09:41 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Our Ohio imports are gobbling up all the numbers.

Those changes you mentioned won't be necessary. The reason for adding the 854 area code is to keep business owners from having to change their marketing stuff, mailers, advertisements, stationary, etc. The 854 will be for newly issued numbers only. Existing 843 numbers will stay just as they are.

Although this may cause some businesses to either spend money paying a technician to reprogram their phones to comply with the 10 digit dialing, or better yet put that capital towards newer technology that would increase efficiency.

That's where I come in. I can help with either option.

Bidness man. I like your style.
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

10 digit dialing sucks donkey balls.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

I'm not a big fan either Camo, but it's coming like it or not.

Y'all stay ahead of the curve and try this dialing thingy at your business, I'm interested to see if they work or not. I had a customer try it from an ancient Norstar and it worked. They may all work, I have no clue. I've just been told some businesses with older phone systems may not be compliant. If the phone call doesn't get through, holler at me.

We'll get ya taken care of one way or another.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I remember when Columbia phone numbers were prefaced by words. For example, Sunset 7-**** or Sunset 2-****

There was also the Alpine prefix. Alpine was followed by 2, 4, or 6 then 4 digits.

Sunset stood for "78" and Alpine was for "25".

If someone asked for your number it would be Sunset 7-**** or something like that.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.