Thread: Mounting a through hull transducer

Default Mounting a through hull transducer

Considering putting a transducer in the bilge of a high tide.

Is it as easy as prep the surface then epoxy transducer down?

Will all the major brands basic transducers be capable of going through the hull?

Yes. Epoxy works fine. No major prep just no air bubbles or air gaps can be present. To test just fill sump with water and run before epoxying down.
    Last edited by Sg843; 04-11-2015 at 09:18 PM.

Any updates on this? Does it work well? Considering it for my high tide rebuild.

Yes I installed in in the bilge in the back of the boat. It worked but I had to keep that are full of water for the transducer to work.

Epoxy would also have worked.

On one of my boats, I used silicone caulk to glue a short piece of 4" PVC to the sump of the hull. The pipe was cut at the correct angle to point straight down. I added a rubber pipe cap and pipe clamp over the top so the water I filled it with to cover the transducer wouldn't splash out readily. It would read well at all speeds and I didn't need to refill it as often as I expected.... months between refills.

I've also caulked transducers down straight to the hull sump, even on aluminum boats and had good signal.

Before you cut any holes in your hull, do some experimenting with through hull solutions. It surprised me how forgiving transducer are. They are much better protected inside the hull too.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 02-21-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Run a bead of silicon around the area and let it dry. It will contain the expoxy allowing for a thicker seal. As PB said, through the hull is the way to go.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk