Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eastern diamondback

1 in Orangeburg county 5 years ago.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I see 1 or 2 a year around Hampton and Jasper county. Still a good lick coastal
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I see a couple of canebreaks every year, been about 20 since I last saw a EDB.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Took the old lady hunting one time this year. I walked right over a grown eastern in the bean field She was walking behind me and saw it. She made Olympic track time back to the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus Alba View Post
    Myself and several other herpetologists/biologists spent the day poking around stump holes, derbis piles, etc., within recently burned areas. It's been a little cooler up here, so we were hoping to catch one either moving or basking near it's winter refuge. We did get lucky and find one sunning.

I have found them before in this area, but for many this was their first for North Carolina.

Not really adding to the conversation, but how do you go about picking your hat up once you've thrown it down there?

Saw one last year in Richmond county NC not far from the pee dee river.

Quote Originally Posted by CRowland View Post
    Not really adding to the conversation, but how do you go about picking your hat up once you've thrown it down there?
    I use a snake hook to place it for scale purposes.

Those are some pretty snakes

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Saw one last year in Richmond county NC not far from the pee dee river.
    That could potentially be a county record.

Below you will see a range map constructed in 1999. Obviously it's not anywhere close to being completely accurate but you can read about how they created it in the link I posted on page 1.

This is why pictures and other details are so important as records are scrutinized for good and occasionally not good reason.

My cousin killed one on his back porch in June or July two years ago. He lives in the edge of the Edisto swamp just outside of the town of North. I saw on floating down a tidal creek in Winyah bay four or five years ago and found a dead one in the road down near Bluffton probably 25 years ago. That's the only ones I have ever seen
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Y'all can look for them all you want. If I happen to find one, I'll try to remember to bring him to you for science sake.

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    My cousin killed one on his back porch in June or July two years ago. He lives in the edge of the Edisto swamp just outside of the town of North. I saw on floating down a tidal creek in Winyah bay four or five years ago and found a dead one in the road down near Bluffton probably 25 years ago. That's the only ones I have ever seen

First one I ever saw was on 462 going to work one morning back 15 years ago.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I had a picture on my old phone. I will see if I have it downloaded on my computer later.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Good stuff QA. Their future is pretty grim considering the way most "outdoorsmen" treat them, but I hope they make a strong comeback.
    I swear I think you'd want to protect a fireant.

QA - I assume you only do research in NC. If you can make it down to SC, I have a place along the Pee Dee in Florence County you can walk until yo're too damn tired to walk. I've seen a couple or four live ones over the years. Unfortunately, I've probably seen 8+ dead ones as well. Folks seem to think the winning Powerball ticket will magically appear if they kill a rattlesnake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    QA - I assume you only do research in NC. If you can make it down to SC, I have a place along the Pee Dee in Florence County you can walk until yo're too damn tired to walk. I've seen a couple or four live ones over the years. Unfortunately, I've probably seen 8+ dead ones as well. Folks seem to think the winning Powerball ticket will magically appear if they kill a rattlesnake.
    I'd love to do that sometime. I'm actually moving back to the midlands area next month. Perhaps after turkey season we can talk.

I have seen a few in the Charleston area. About 15 years ago we saw one that was about 6' that was ran over by a car. My boss was driving and he turned around and stopped just so we could see what it was. It looked like those photoshopped pictures you see on the Internet. About 10 years ago I saw another one that was ran over by a car that was about 3'. The last one I saw was a couple of years ago at my buddy's hunt club under his feeder. He was a only about 2' long.

Stopped traffic late last September on hwy 15 about half way between Hartsville and Society Hill and helped one cross before it got killed.
    Last edited by Cdnredneck; 03-27-2015 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CRowland View Post
    How would you do it?

Just pick up a stick long enough to keep a safe distance and drag my hat away.

You've got to think outside the box sometimes.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

PM sent....PM denied. lol clear out some space bro
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 03-27-2015 at 08:02 PM.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill