Thread: The weatherby

What is your opinion of the 300 weatherby round?
    You\'ll have that... especially on them big jobs...

Very hard to find shells for... It is a .300 Win Mag that has a little more velocity...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

It will take any North Amrican big game animal.It also kicks like a mule and the muzzle blast will deafen anyone closeby.
    Remember,bullet placement kills game.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I assume that you are hunting game larger than a whitetail. It is quite a bit of overkill for deer. Like was said above, shot placement is what it is all about. If you want a round that really shoots flat and is totally adequate for deer, you may want to look at the following: 25-06, 280AI, and 7mm Rem Mag. These are just a few that provide flat trajectory and deer killing ability way on out there. Trajectory is one thing, accuracy in another. Try some shooting at 500 yards sometime. It can be a humbling experience. I think that is is not unusual for folks to want a long range cartridge. Unfortunately, many times the cartridge is capable but the rifle, the bullet and/or the shooter is not.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

300wby mag rocks!!! Rocks everything, mostly the shooter.I'm only 5'6" and too short fer my wt.The big lads in camp prefer their 7mms. 220gr rd nose soft points in 300wby mag flat out kills the shit outta moose,I think it scares them to death. .I don't think I'm bothered by the recoil,I like being bruised up a bit.It's chambered in a 700rem.Up here it costs about $4.00 cdn a round to shoot factory loads.I'm shooting 180 gr some kinda boat tail thingys a friend of a friend loaded for under $2.00cdn this year.They're a pretty hot load but accuracy looks real good(this ain't no bench gun).I'm kinda worried about barrel burn out.Lots more recoil than the 30/06 @180gr.Muzzlebrake or whatever they are and a trick recoil pad/system doodad would probably take a lot of the bite out. I like it the way it is. CWPINST,Lotta wisdom in what you say.Lotsa guys here use 243s for deer and we've got some heavy deer.The 300 is excellent for what I do.It burns up lotsa powder and I think is most efficient with the heavier bullets.Heavier overall than other calibers to tote around too.ButI gotta tell ya, it is a hell of a penis extension .Gitya one!With my shape I'm thinkin 416 next [img]graemlins/alkie.gif[/img] Willtim,what'd ya say?
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

HARV,I hate to admit being a pussy but a .416 is too much for me.I don't function well with a dislocated shoulder.
    P.S.Our deer are tiny compared to yours.

willtim,I hear ya there.I like being a pussy, 300 is enough.A bud has a 375H&H,not a real comfortable thing to shoot.I was only kiddin on the 416.I'd be skeerd with reason! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

WELL, THE REASON I ASKED IS THAT I BOUGHT A WEATHERBY VANGUARD FROM A FRIEND WHICH BOUGHT IT NEW. THE GUN WAS FIRED MAYBE 40 TIMES AND HE WENT POSTAL FOR A BROWNING A BOLT 300 WIN MAG AND BOUGHT ONE. SO, FOR $300 I BOUGHT THIS GUN. I ALSO SHOOT WEATHERBY AMMO, THE 165 BST, WHICH FROM WHAT I COULD GATHER HAD THE LEAST RISE AND FALL IN 300 YARDS. IT IS ALSO THE SLOWEST ROUND THEY OFFER IN THIS CALIBER. WHAT DO YA THINK FOR $300?

I think you need to spend yer time with the spitballs you have, for you hurts yo-self, ya weenie wiffer!! [img]graemlins/ak47.gif[/img]
    At least I'm housebroken.

I have one.
    Its real pretty.
    it stays in my gun safe and I wince in pain every time I remember how bad that SOB kicked.
    My 30/06 feels like a red ryder in comparison.
    I am now wincing in pain....
    Trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Ya know folks, Duck Nitz to me that a 300 made him cry like a school girl?!? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Don't ya wonna be in:scflag:

No gun is too bad if ya have to fire it only once...maybe twice.