Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 11 title 50 (using dogs to hunt)

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    Okay, so if I'm coon hunting and my dog tracks a coon onto your property, you feel that you have the right to prosecute me? For instance, if the dog is on the back side of my property, out of range for me to yell at him, and he goes on your land, you should have the right to press charges on me?
    If you can't contain your dog to the property you own or have permission to hunt. Don't release the dog. Why do you think you have the right utilize someone's property without their constent?

I am guessing you vote Democratic. If so I don't think we will agree on the subject of entitlements.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    If you can't contain your dog to the property you own or have permission to hunt. Don't release the dog. Why do you think you have the right utilize someone's property without their constent?

I am guessing you vote Democratic. If so I don't think we will agree on the subject of entitlements.
    Not a democrat, and nor do I think I have the right to use someone else's property, but if my dog goes on your property and I come to you and ask if I can go get my dog, and you say "sure, but you'll have to pay a $500 fine" then you're just a jackass.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Hunting public waters and your dog swims to the privately owned bank....bam, you get fined.
    You can already get a fine for that. It won't affect that. It will affect the folks mentioned by catdaddy.

For liability reasons most landowners don't want strangers on their property. Should every time you fail to contain your dog someone should show good nature and disregard their liability concerns to cover your failure to contain your property.

For liability reasons most landowners don't want strangers on their property. Should every time you fail to contain your dog someone should show good nature and disregard their liability concerns to cover your failure to contain your property.
    You're just grasping at straws now pulling the "liability" thing. If it's something that happens every night, I agree with you, but you're not going to always be able to keep your dog from trailing an animal on to someone else's property. If someone comes to me and says (with a respectable attitude), "hey man, my dog ran on to your property, do you mind if I go get him" I wouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe that's just the type of fella I am. Now if it happens over and over again, we may have a problem.

No grasping, it is simple if a landowner doesn't want your dog on his property you should respect his right. If you don't have ability to contain your dog's don't turn out or buy/lease more land. Don't demand courtesy from others to cover your failures.

No grasping, it is simple if a landowner doesn't want your dog on his property you should respect his right. If you don't have ability to contain your dog's don't turn out or buy/lease more land. Don't demand courtesy from others to cover your failures.
    So you're saying if someone comes to you and asks if they can go get their dog off of your property, you're going to tell them no?

You're just grasping at straws now pulling the "liability" thing. If it's something that happens every night, I agree with you, but you're not going to always be able to keep your dog from trailing an animal on to someone else's property. If someone comes to me and says (with a respectable attitude), "hey man, my dog ran on to your property, do you mind if I go get him" I wouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe that's just the type of fella I am. Now if it happens over and over again, we may have a problem.
    This law isn't for the people who come and ask once in a blue moon because their dog accidentally went across the line this one time.

This is for the sob's that do it every weekend and never ask to go get them, they just assume its ok. This is for the sob that runs 25 dogs on a 10 acre plot in the middle of stand owners, because he has rights to that 10 acres.

I'm sorry you're getting caught in the crossfire, "one bad apple will spoil the bunch". Personally, I hope like hell this passes. I am sick of seeing dog drivers run dogs across my property, maybe the fine will get them the hell away from me.

Maybe you dog people can start a union or some gay shit and go buy up a bunch of land, all together. Then you can run until your heart is content and leave everyone else alone.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I'm not against hunting with dogs, I've enjoyed some great hunts and would do it again tomorrow if I could. But I think things could be done better by owners to keep them off of other peoples property. It has been my experience that when you start digging in a mans wallet, he'll do a better job next time to keep you out of it.

I can see where yall are coming from in regards to the deer dogging thing. We don't have that problem up here...thankfully. I was just looking at it from a rabbit hunter/coon hunter's perspective.

So you're saying if someone comes to you and asks if they can go get their dog off of your property, you're going to tell them no?
    Yes but I would go with you. I would also ask where you turned out and what size property you turned out on. If you turned out a walker or black and tan on less than 1,000 acres you know it is likely the dog will leave the property.

I can see where yall are coming from in regards to the deer dogging thing. We don't have that problem up here...thankfully. I was just looking at it from a rabbit hunter/coon hunter's perspective.
    I have turned my dogs out in SC,Tenn.,Al.,Ky, Ga., NC., and Louisiana and never been told NO when I asked permission and explained the problem.
    This reg will have very little effect on the courteous hunter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This bill should not pass. How easy will it be for someone to pick up a dog from anywhere and claim the dog was tresspassing on their land? It should be obvious to anyone this is an attempt to stop deer hunting with hounds.

Quote Originally Posted by bodeen View Post
    This bill should not pass. How easy will it be for someone to pick up a dog from anywhere and claim the dog was tresspassing on their land? It should be obvious to anyone this is an attempt to stop deer hunting with hounds.

Are you serious? A landowner is going to find your dog...kidnap the dog....place the dog on his property.... and then call DNR to claim the dog is trespassing?
    Last edited by shhmitty; 01-15-2015 at 12:18 PM.

Just a possibility if the bill passes. It will do little to stop outlaw hunters anyway. Just run dogs with no identification.

[QUOTE=bodeen;1856170]This bill should not pass. How easy will it be for someone to pick up a dog from anywhere and claim the dog was tresspassing on their land? It should be obvious to anyone this is an attempt to stop deer hunting with hounds.[/QUOTE

That's the dumbest thing I've read on here in a while. I have mixed emotions on this whole issue. I live in the dog driving capital of the state and grew up doing it every Sat. Now, I still hunt with a bow only and have someone else's dogs screw up my hunts over and over and over. I hate to see the tradition end, but dang I hate going through the time and effort to try my hardest to kill a deer with a bow and have dogs blow out the quiet bottoms that I love to hunt.

If they are going to exclude bear hunting they should also exclude small game. There is no secret what the intent is with this bill. Trespassing is still trespassing and we already have laws in effect for that. I agree that an aspect of control should be present and may should be required while hunting with any dog, I don't agree that is be against the law if that control is inadvertently lost that one should be fined. When someone begins to introduce legislation that contains a term such as "on a dog hunt" it really bothers me. In my opinion this bill is entirely too broad, and will affect much more than what is intended.

So, can I get my neighbor fined for their cat who comes and pisses in the bed of my truck, in my yard?

How about the dog that has a pissing contest on my mailbox with my dog?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    So, can I get my neighbor fined for their cat who comes and pisses in the bed of my truck, in my yard?

How about the dog that has a pissing contest on my mailbox with my dog?
    There are already laws on the books to protect your property from the neighbor's animals. Terrible analogy.

City ordinances, yes. But what about state laws?

And, there should be no distinction between a yard dog, and a hunting dog. I've shot and trapped yard dogs thats stalked corn piles for quail, killed goats, killed chickens, run deer, attacked young'uns etc...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton