Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1/10, 3 guns public

Good killin dj!

Ok Ok Ok

Y'all got this fella on the Mottled Ducks and apparently the GW didn't know his ducks either. Shocking yes I know.

But this......

Quote Originally Posted by Cutm jack View Post
    It takes 4 years for a bufflehead drake to reach maturity and have that nice plumage. you're seeing drakes just not pretty ones.

This needs some explaining!

Chop Chop!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Quote Originally Posted by surfcock View Post
    Good hunt, but Bog's right. You did get lucky with that extra mottled duck. Did you just not get checked at all?

Yea he was waiting at the landing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    scducks c/o2010

I'm no duck ID expert, but the chart he showed to tell them apart doesn't really apply to the picture. Does the beak color change? They all look like hen mallards that were shot up.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

I had to look and see if I was on Facebook.
    Non Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cutm jack View Post
    It takes 4 years for a bufflehead drake to reach maturity and have that nice plumage. you're seeing drakes just not pretty ones.
    If that were true, you would see "in between" plumage on them much like you do a drake shoveler.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rodandgun83 View Post
    I had to look and see if I was on Facebook.
    it's the new Facebook

I think I see a little bit of green on that bottom ducks head.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    If that were true, you would see "in between" plumage on them much like you do a drake shoveler.
    the "in between" you speak of is because of the time it take a drake shoveler to lose it's eclipse plumage. The bufflehead's deal is a bit different........

I'm still wanting to know who told this dude 4 years ..........

Chop Chop

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    the "in between" you speak of is because of the time it take a drake shoveler to lose it's eclipse plumage. The bufflehead's deal is a bit different........
    I am aware.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Stick to fishin BW. You got your spanish down yet? Si
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Bog... Care to answer my question. Just trying to gain a little ID knowledge.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

Quote Originally Posted by AH HOLY View Post
    I'm no duck ID expert, but the chart he showed to tell them apart doesn't really apply to the picture. Does the beak color change? They all look like hen mallards that were shot up.

Yeah the bills are all different. The white, black and speculum color is different. Darkness of the body feathers and the streak around the eyes are a few differences. Mallard hen has a nice orange and brown bill.

There are a few characteristics that are easily seen in the photo, but I just happened to notice the feather pattern on the shoulder, just above the coverts.

Take a minute to look at the wings of adult hen mallards vs mottleds and blacks, you will see the noticable distinctions between the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Yeah the bills are all different. The white, black and speculum color is different. Darkness of the body feathers and the streak around the eyes are a few differences. Mallard hen has a nice orange and brown bill.
    nope. I thought we had moved past all this guess not
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Thank you. It would probably be a little easier to have bird in hand rather than a picture of waterlogged birds.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

Bog... Care to answer my question. Just trying to gain a little ID knowledge.
    I'm not Bog but I'll try to answer but I must say I don't really understand your question.

There's two "color" variations of a Mottled Duck's bill (beak as you said).

The Drake's is one color and the Hen's is the other. Drakes bill is the yellow color, same as the drake mallard and same really as Black Ducks. The hen's is more a olive color I guess you could say. Here's 2 pics of a drake and a hen for reference.

Last edited by GobblerHntr; 01-10-2015 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post

I'm still wanting to know who told this dude 4 years ..........

Chop Chop

Just talked to my biologist friend and he said three years. My mistake.

tell your biologist friend he or she needs to go back to school or ask for a refund. He or she is still incorrect.
    Last edited by GobblerHntr; 01-10-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Hen mallard, for reference
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Miller View Post
    Who fucking cares? Fuck.