Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santee Cooper covered up in ducks

Default Santee Cooper covered up in ducks

Duck hunters should have little to complain about, as harsh weather conditions to the north have caused a massive migration of ducks into South Carolina, both puddle ducks and divers. And the upper end of Santee Cooper’s Lake Marion is literally covered up with enough feathered migrants to make Phil Robertson’s crew blush and lose their balance in the duck blind.

That should come as no surprise, as the Santee Cooper system provides ideal conditions for ducks during their fall and winter migration. It’s been a major stop in their travel corridor for more than 75 years.

“The migration is in full swing, to say the least. We have witnessed a record number of puddle ducks on our property,” said Del Avins of River Oaks Waterfowl in Rimini. “We are seeing mostly teal and gadwall, but also amazing numbers of widgeon and pintail.”

But it is not just the puddle ducks making a good showing; large groups of dive-bombing divers are piling in too.

“We are seeing new waves of ringnecks and scaup buzzing across our blinds on a regular basis, and we cannot ignore the healthy numbers of redheads and canvasbacks out there also,” said Avins, who manages 300 acres of flooded fields for waterfowl hunting.

According to Avins, ducks are trading between his impoundments and the upper end of Lake Marion, providing his hunters and hunters out of Pack’s Landing good shooting opportunities.

The continued wave of cold weather is one of the major contributors, and the upcoming weather that is forecast for the region should help maintain these spectacular conditions.

“Some more good cold fronts between now and the middle of January should push down more divers and probably a more puddle ducks over the next couple of weeks,” Avins said.

The Santee Cooper lakes spans five counties and have provided migrating waterfowl with more than 177,000 acres of flooded habitat since 1939. Every year, migrating flocks take advantage of the shallow, open waters for resting and feeding. The upper end of Lake Marion and its margins are prime places for hunters to encounter plenty of ducks.

Also, beyond the lakes’ actual boundaries is a massive swamp system that adds thousands of acres of waterfowl habitat, plus thousands of acres of managed waterfowl impoundments. Rimini, on the northern bank of Lake Marion, is practically the epicenter of managed areas.

- See more at: http://www.southcarolinasportsman.co....KuBajpM8.dpuf

I will be damned if I have seen what they are talking about....
    cut\'em

The writer (Jeff Burleson) of this article is an avid tamie shooter too. Consider the source here.......
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Get swarms of hunters on public to push birds to private. It's not rocket science.

Quite a few people giving em hell over that article on the book of faces

Ask white quacker how they bend the truth...

This article was effective. Coming out of mill creek guy shined us. He was set up in the creek. We laughed and rode on.

Moultrie has no water. No water, no birds.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Make Phil Robertson's crew blush and lose their balance in the duck blind.

Who writes this crap?

And where are the cold fronts they're talking about?

Regardless if private impoundments are holding some ringnecks, the public water is dead. Like bad dead. Don't believe me? You will.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Regardless if private impoundments are holding some ringnecks, the public water is dead. Like bad dead. Don't believe me? You will.
    and they have been for over a week. Scaup too
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I bet tomorrow is gonna be a nut house now! Might need to pull out the surf boards soon
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I bet starting tonight its gonna be a nut house now! Might need to pull out the surf boards soon

Fify

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I bet tomorrow is gonna be a nut house now! Might need to pull out the surf boards soon
    Sunrise low tide, oysters will be in the steam by noon.

Hooked up and haulin ass. I am gonna have to write ANOTHER song bout this PUSH.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

20k users and a gazillion guests daily.

Students out for break. Let's send them all to one area with a post.

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Clever.

Well played sir, well played

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    scducks c/o2010

interesting that this thread hasn't been axed when Jozie's was