Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chicken Coops...

That was another big factor for me. My girls collect eggs and help feed and scrub water pails. We sell the excess eggs and the girls get the money. If they slack off they don't see the money (it goes into their accounts either way).

No allowances in this house.

I figured we would start small with the chickens...that way they will have plenty of practice taking care of things when the "wants" for ponies and unicorns come up.

I looked around on Backyard Chickens. Looks like there are plenty of diy ideas out there. I am not trying to make anything "cute" like you would see in a backyard of a neighborhood. Just something decent looking that will last and serve the basic purpose.
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 02-20-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    I should have also said this will be more of a “for fun” project mainly for my kids in hopes of teaching them a little about responsibility of taking care of things. The eggs and fresh chicken are a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...s?cm_vc=-10005

Coworker bought one of these. It will not hold 8 chickens but we put it together in about an hour.
    Last edited by rodandgun83; 02-20-2018 at 04:27 PM.
    Non Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    I figured we would start small with the chickens...that way they will have plenty of practice taking care of things when the "wants" for ponies and unicorns come up.

I looked around on Backyard Chickens. Looks like there are plenty of diy ideas out there. I am not trying to make anything "cute" like you would see in a backyard of a neighborhood. Just something decent looking that will last and serve the basic purpose.
    JR, I built mine based on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Used 4x4 post, set them on some foundation blocks, slapped some walls and a roof on it and done. I put in a door I could walk through and added a door over the nest boxes so I could collect eggs without going in there. I built a run off the front end of it 8x12. It's pretty much worthless now since we let 'em run all over the place. They still roost in the coop but it's Easter every day at our house as we never know where we will find their eggs. They're pretty good at hiding those dang things.

i have never eaten a laying hen that was worth eating. what am I missing, curlee?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Mine don't have enough meat on 'em to feed one of my toddlers.

I raise meat birds and laying hens both. Im playing around with a breeding program to create a line of fast growing cornish birds that I can reproduce. They will not match the weight of a Cornish cross you buy at the grocery, but you cannot breed those, although I do have a laying Cornish cross thats gonna make some babies this year. Not looking for perfection just something that suits us.

And if hard times ever hit, chicken is chicken, I got enough to last us awhile.

Some of those prefab coops are a lot smaller and built with cheaper wood than you'd expect.

How about this? https://www.backyardchickens.com/art...in-coop.47747/

and

https://www.pinterest.com/johnmarzy/...-for-chickens/