Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop recommendations

Default Prop recommendations

Anybody got any recommendations for a stainless prop on a F50 its a brand new motor with the restrict or plate taken out. Got an aluminum but low and behold second time to the swamp I bend it up a bit.

Gotta get a SS, bending from hitting a stump is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The black painted stainless props yamaha makes are pretty good props. I'd get one of those.

Ok, I was looking at the solas ones just didn't know what a reputable brand was thanks for the input

Bending a prop is better than bending a prop shaft
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."- Robert E. Lee

Most definitely. I guess I've never owned a boat without a SS prop just due to durability and all.

Solas is kind of the aftermarket entry level prop out there. It will still be an upgrade from an aluminum prop.

Like gone South said, the yamaha black stainless is probably the fastest. Turbo/stiletto and powertec are also great props.

Ok. Preciate it, not too worried about speed or hole shot it's a going on an excel f4 just want a good reliable and well built prop

Blade design makes a big difference in how the boat rides with said aftermarket prop. What size boat and what hull style (flat bottom or pad)?

Does that motor have the bigger 4.25" gear case?
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-09-2014 at 07:50 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

It's a 1651 flat bottom and no, doesn't have the bigger gear case

Get your aluminum one bent back and keep it for a spare in the boat before you do anything else

try a 13 pitch powertech. SCB3 I think is model. That's what I had on my 50 2 stroke. With that heavy excel you are gonna want a lower pitch
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

I agree with the powertech SCB3. The yamaha black ss props are the top of the line, but they cost a bit more. Powertech's SCB3 basically copied the black yamaha semi-cleaver blade design. It is great quality and you can get one online for about $150 less than the yamaha props. It is definitely worth the time and money to get a tachometer to measure rpm's if your current prop still works. If you call powertech, the technicians will tell you exactly which pitch & prop you need. I am pretty sure the design of their SCB3 line changes for pitches lower than either 13 (maybe 12) so it will perform differently. If the excel has pods on the back, that could change the exact pitch and design you need. PT will let you return or exchange it if you test it and its not working for your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Get your aluminum one bent back and keep it for a spare in the boat before you do anything else
    Yeap and...

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    powertech
    yeap.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Until you get a tach, you're just guessing. The $50 for a TinyTach is well worth it.
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-10-2014 at 11:33 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by willmac1211 View Post
    Bending a prop is better than bending a prop shaft
    10-4 on this.

If you're not already doing so, I'd keep the motor mount 'unlocked' and throw a 'stump rope' around the outside of the lower unit. Let the motor kick up if you hit something, but have the rope tight enough to keep it from flipping into the boat. You might bend a prop, but at least you won't tear up the lower unit or prop shaft.

If you're running the swamp a lot you could also add a prop guard.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

My boat came with a kick up plate system. It's got the 2 hydraulic shocks to keep the motor from slamming back down. Nice feature until it comes to using a transom saver.

That's a neat add-on feature of those Excels. But dang, they spensive. They proud of them boats.
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-10-2014 at 04:28 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah they are but they ride pretty damn well in shallow water, rough water on the other hand not so much. I wish I would've gotten a mud motor tho

Did you get the triple chine hull or the Viper hull? Probably the Viper if you got an outboard on it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]